Would you use an expired seat? - what to bring for travel

montacki

I have a Chicco KeyFit 30 that expires Sept 2013. We're going to travel out of the country in December for a couple of weeks and I was thinking of bringing it with us for the trip. The seat will be expired but we will not be using it much, def. not every day but maybe for a 2-3 hour trip once. Would you use it?

Last edited:
ADS

Jeni-GAcpst

Re: Would you use an expired seat?

No, I wouldn't use it. We have no idea how it would perform in a crash and there's no reason to use your own child as a crash-test.
It sounds like you have a small child though. A $40 scenera is lightweight and perfect for travel and guaranteed safe. It would make a great back up seat for when you're back in the States as well.

Or if you want to share your child's height, weight, age, shirt size, and vehicle - as well as budget - we can help you find a good long last convertible seat that will work well for travel and a long lasting seat.

montacki

Ok, thanks! Baby is 6 mo. and 19 lb but she will be almost 10 mo. when we travel.

I have 3 kids and I already have 2 Sceneras at my mom's house (where we're going), for my older two.
My oldest is 5 1/2, 38 lb and 43" so she could also move to a booster and we could use the Scenera for the baby. I could leave the booster there to use in the future.

We also have a Britax Marathon that we use occasionally in DH's car so we could bring that, but we won't be able to leave it there b/c we need it. Also I have the problem that we need to fit them in a small vehicle. Three across won't fit with the Sceneras I don't think. A backless booster for my oldest would fit but I'm not comfortable with that. ARGH. This is going to be a bigger problem and I'm very confused now. I need to think about this some more. Sorry!

Jeni-GAcpst

Don't apologize. That's what we're here for :)

My guess is at least the 5yo has already outgrown the scenera. Kiddos outgrow front facing seats when their shoulders are above the top harness slots, which happens with the scenera around size 2T shirts.

Are you flying? If so, your kiddos will need to use their seat on the plane so that may make the options easier for you :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Are you flying? If so, your kiddos will need to use their seat on the plane so that may make the options easier for you :)

:yeahthat: Just remember that you cannot use a booster on the plane, so if you go that route for your 5yo, you'll need to either carry the booster onto the plane or pack it in your carry-on. :)

There are mixed feelings here about gate-checking booster seats. Some say it is okay, others say it should never be done. :eek: Harnessed seats should ABSOLUTELY be used on the plane.

montacki

Thanks!

Ok, so let's forget about a seat for the baby for a minute. If my 5 yr old doesn't fit the Scenera anymore (she is tiny so I think she does but I'm not sure, I could try her on one at the store :) ) then what do you suggest to bring for her?

We're not carrying our seats for the big kids. They use the CARES thing in the plane.

Jeni-GAcpst

Quick replay:
3 kiddos
2 traveling in CARES
Need a seat for baby. Does baby have a ticket on the plane?
2 sceneras waiting at destination
Need a third seat for 5yo that will fit in a 3-across

What vehicle does Mom drive?
What seats do you have at home?

5yo will be almost 6 at travel: 38lbs, 43", shirt size?
baby will be 10mo at travel: 95% for weight, what height? shirt size?
middle child: age, weight, height, shirt size?

Sorry for the 20 questions! We want to be able to give you the best recommendation for your situation.

CMeMeC

montacki said:
Thanks!

Ok, so let's forget about a seat for the baby for a minute. If my 5 yr old doesn't fit the Scenera anymore (she is tiny so I think she does but I'm not sure, I could try her on one at the store :) ) then what do you suggest to bring for her?

We're not carrying our seats for the big kids. They use the CARES thing in the plane.

I would be more comfortable with a 5 year old in a new backless booster than in an outgrown harness or a baby in an expired seat. I can't imagine a 5 year old still fitting in the scenera. My 38lb 5 year old is tiny, but she outgrew the scenera a while ago. If you do check sizes in a store, check the middle child as well. My little 2 year old might have outgrown it.

featherhead

I would be more comfortable with a 5 year old in a new backless booster than in an outgrown harness or a baby in an expired seat. I can't imagine a 5 year old still fitting in the scenera. My 38lb 5 year old is tiny, but she outgrew the scenera a while ago. If you do check sizes in a store, check the middle child as well. My little 2 year old might have outgrown it.

:yeahthat: I sat my 20 month old in a Scenera at Walmart a couple weeks ago, and she would have needed the top slots for forward facing. And she's not a huge kid either!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat: I sat my 20 month old in a Scenera at Walmart a couple weeks ago, and she would have needed the top slots for forward facing. And she's not a huge kid either!

On the other hand, my DS still fit in his sister's Scenera at age 5y10m. ;) OP, do you have a way to try your 5YO in a Scenera before your trip?

Also, what does baby normally ride in with you?

montacki

We traveled last December and DD (5 yr old) fit great - shoulders still right below harness. She wears size 5 shirt but she is small. DS (the 2yr old) fit great too last year.

I'll try them both in a Scenera. If they fit, I'll just bring my Marathon for baby and figure out how to fit it when we get there - we might have to use 2 cars but we don't travel much there so it would be ok.
If one of them doesn't fit then I need to figure out something bigger to bring, bonus if baby can use it in plane.
Or just bring one of my Radians. Yeah, that's going to be it.

Jeni-GAcpst

Does the 5yo fit in the marathon? The harness height is several inches higher than the scenera.
Marathon on plane for baby, then baby in scenera and 5yo in Marathon.

Radian is a good option too, especially if you have the additional backpack straps. It's heavy though! And I know some families have misplaced their rear-facing boot, so it's one more thing to keep track of.

I think you've got some great options!

montacki

Oh yeah! She does fit in the Marathon FF, duh!
My guess is my 5 yr old barely fits the Scenera now. Height bottom to shoulder is about 14.75 in. She is 43" and 38 lb so really she is at the top limit, possibly outgrowing it in 4 months.
If we bring the Radian/Marathon we'll put it in the GoGo Kidz thing and use it to carry one of the kids (they love the ride and I get to keep them contained). The Radian is way too heavy to lift!

Thanks for all your help.

jewlsvern

My oldest kids are 4 and 6.5 both weighing 38 pounds. They both still fit in the Scenara. My 6 yo is 43 inches but is mostly leg. I would try your child in one at the store just to see if it is an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC