Would you buy another high back booster for an 8 yr. old?

AnnieW625

My DD2 (almost 4, 41" and 35lbs) is outgrowing her RA55 so I need to move her to our Frontier 80 (harnessed) so I need to move DD1 (almost 8, 48" and 47lbs.) back to our spare Graco Highback Turbo, which she doesn't like nearly as much as the Frontier (which she uses as a belted booster). DD1 also sleeps in the car so a full time low back booster is probably not a great choice for full time use.

The CA law is no booster after 8, but DD1 is not yet 50lbs. so I told her she'll be in some sort of booster until she is 9 or 10 and appx. 60lbs. .

So would you spend more money on a Britax Parkway or similar or just stick with the Graco Highback even though she says they are less comfy?

ADS

aeormsby

If she truly needs a HBB for sleeping then yes.

Or you could look at a lower priced Combo seat for your 4yo to use for another year or so and have your 8yo continue to use the Frontier. The Maestro, Securekids or Harmony Defender would all give quite a bit more growing room for $100 or less.

In most situations I would say just go for a NBB for an 8yo, the sleeping would be the one exception. You could try a NBB and see how she does with sleeping, she might surprise you. If she's not 50lb yet I'd think she's going to be using some type of booster for more like 3-4 years (http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm - the 5-step test for when a booster is no longer needed).

AnnieW625

what are the height limits on the SecureKid seat? DD2 has grown an inch or two since her 3rd birthday in late April and I have a feeling might end up growing at a faster rate than DD1 has (DD1 was 43" at 5/1/2, I think that will be DD2's height at 4/1/2) so I am hesitant to buy another combo seat with lower height limits (like the Maestro or the Pioneer), but don't want to spend the money on a Frontier or Pinnacle 90 either.

It's funny how 57" inches as a belted booster limit has never once worried me for DD1, but for DD2 I am just not sure that will be enough especially since she has shown no signs of slowing down height wise.

I also have $64 in Amazon Rewards so a big bonus if I can keep it $100 or less after points. A Maestro, SG, and the Secure Kid would make it $35 or so, and the SGL about $55, and the Pioneer would be a just about $100 (depending on the pattern).

Last edited:

aeormsby

The harness height for the Maestro & Securekid are 18", 18.5" for the Defender. For comparison the Roundabout55 is 16". And with the natural recline in the Britax convertibles kids probably gain even more room than what the measured difference is.

Otherwise going with the Parkway is a good option. I was going to suggest the Recaro Performance booster also but I probably wouldn't get it for an 8yo since it doesn't convert to a NBB.

Baylor

I love my monterey. It does go to lbb also so it is something you can use for a long time.

It is a great booster that can be adjusted for width and height of the child. It is comfy with good head wings for sleeping. I use this for my 9 yr old on long or night trips. He just sleeps better in it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Unless that 48" height for your 8yo is a typo, you're looking at needing to keep her in a booster until more like 12, not 9-10.

Also, CA child restraint law REQUIRES a car/ booster seat for all children under 8. After 8 years old, the all passengers are required to wear properly fitted seatbelts. If a booster is still needed to achieve proper fit, you can still be ticketed for not using one, it's just the cheaper seatbelt violation fine vs the carseat fine.

I wrote and teach the curriculum for our county court diversion program and the majority of the people sent to me are people who honestly thought they didn't need a booster once their child turned 8.

AnnieW625

Unless that 48" height for your 8yo is a typo, you're looking at needing to keep her in a booster until more like 12, not 9-10.

Also, CA child restraint law REQUIRES a car/ booster seat for all children under 8. After 8 years old, the all passengers are required to wear properly fitted seatbelts. If a booster is still needed to achieve proper fit, you can still be ticketed for not using one, it's just the cheaper seatbelt violation fine vs the carseat fine.

I wrote and teach the curriculum for our county court diversion program and the majority of the people sent to me are people who honestly thought they didn't need a booster once their child turned 8.

Thanks! Yes she is pretty tiny she might be 49" now, but just barely. The doctor anticipates she'll be about 5'3" and we have lots of shorter ancestors so that makes sense. 9 or 10 is absolute minimum for me, but yes you are right I could see her making it to 11 or 12. I remember being really uncomfortable in shoulder belts at that age too and I was 4'11" at 11 and 12 (1989), and not being really comfortable until I was my full adult height of 5'5" at 13 .

I wish people here (Long Beach area) would get some sense and see that just because your child is 8 doesn't mean that they don't need a booster which is what I see here too and these parents are pretty educated too, most kids in 2nd grade still have low backs, but some don't have any at all and next year it will probably be even worse.

Current dilemma is I can't find my Frontier harness:eek: and the only color available right now is beige and it will take 10 days at least to get to us so I am thinking of just ordering another harness to booster seat for DD2 (Pioneer or Secure Kid DLX) and just keeping DD1 in the Frontier since she will need it longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC