Will Marathon last until ready for a booster?

nhlbluesgirl

I'm deciding on a seat for DD2. She is currently only 14 weeks and in a SR. She still has plenty of room to grow in it, but I'm trying to plan ahead. With DD1, I started out with a 40# seat (Triumph) and had to get a higher weight limit seat (Regent), because she is outgrowing Triumph. Anyway, I'd like to avoid that with DD2. If possible, I'd like to get a higher weight limit seat that will last until she needs a booster. Money is a factor, which is why I was asking about the MA over the Decathlon or Boulevard. I realize that there is no one age that children are ready for a booster, and they need to pass the 5 point test, but I was hoping to get a generalization. DD2 was at the 50th percentile for weight and height at her 6 week apt. and 60th percentile for weight at her 10 week apt., so I'm hoping she stays on the small side. I've also considered the new Triumph or the FPSVD, but since there weight limits are lower, I was afraid of her not quite making it with them. Thanks for any help!

ADS

Melizerd

I think it's hard to know not just because of height and weight but because of maturity. I mean there are kids that are technically big enough for boosters but still aren't mature enough to sit properly in one so they shouldn't be in one. Obviously we can't predict our children't future maturity. It is VERY possible that for a lot of kids they'll go from a Marathon to a booster.

I don't think I'd worry about it til you get there.

The FPSVD has the same harness height as the Marathon so they are usually outgrown at the same time.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It's the height that matters. Most kids outgrow the big Britax seats around 50lbs anyway.

IF she follows her current growth curve, I think any of those seats would last her until she's a good booster age.

The Triumph Advance is a really nice seat with tall top harness slots.

The FPSVD is basically a stripped down Marathon and like I said, you most likely will not need the extra weight of the Marathon.

If you are on a strict budget, either of those seats would be good options.

If you are really on a tight tight budget, then you could get a $40 Scenera and when that is outgrown (typically around 3.5 years old), move her into the Regent and your oldest into a booster seat (provided they are old/big/mature enough for a booster seat... typically around age 6 and at least 40lbs).

skaterbabs

While the weight limit of the Triumph Advance is less than the MA, the harness heights are virtually the same. Very few children (none that I am personally aware of) make it to 65 lbs in the seat.

That said, the majority of kids do make it to about 50 lbs and around age 5, which is acceptible booster age on average.

gwenvet

It depends on torso height so much more than weight that I would look into a Recaro or a Radian simply because they have higher harness heights. I hate to say that, because I really love our MA much more than the Radian but it will likely last you longer. But I also like the idea of using a 40lb seat for a few years and then passing the Regent down to her. Maybe get the nice $99 one from WalMart (for the lifew of me I cant remember the name) to use that way.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
To clarify, the 5-point test is really the 5-step test used to determine when a child is appropriately sized to use the adult seatbelt alone, not when the child is ready for a belt positioning booster seat. Belt positioning booster readiness guidelines are the bare minimum of age 4 and 40 lbs. at the earliest, although older, like age 5 or 6, and psychologically mature enough to remain properly seating in the belt positioning booster at all times, are the preferred guidelines.

It's possible the Marathon and other higher weight limit convertible seats you're considering can last until a child is booster ready, but it greatly depends on the child's proportions. How long a child can fit in any particular convertible seat, even the higher weight limit seats with forward facing limits over 40 lbs., is not necessarily so much a matter of the child's weight or overall height on the growth chart, as it is the child's proportions and torso height. It's quite common for convertibles to be outgrown by height before a child reaches the seat's weight limit. Longer torsoed kiddos can outgrow even a higher weight limit convertible seat like the Marathon by height by age 4 or 5 (my oldest is a good example of this, and I expect my younger DD will follow a similar pattern), but this isn't so typical for kids with more even or leggier proportions who could fit height-wise another year or two longer.

Unfortunately, the growth charts don't account for torso heights. Generally, if you have a long torsoed baby, you'll know it because they outgrow shirts/onesies more rapidly than pants, and often wear a larger shirt size than pants size. :) If this is the case for your daughter, then it might be worth looking into a Radian for her as previous posters mentioned. Also, depending on the time frame when she outgrows her convertible seat, it might be possible at that point to pass down your older child's Regent if the Regent hasn't reached its 6 year expiration.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone!!!

Does the Uptown have any advantage over the Scenera (except for extra padding)?

I believe that it's just the extra padding, it also has EPP foam (think bicycle helmets - big benefit)... I'm drawing a blank as to whether the Scenera has this as well. Anyone? :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, no EPP/EPS foam in the Scenera. I think the Uptown's top shoulder harness slots are supposed to be a bit taller than the Scenera's as well.

nhlbluesgirl

Thanks Jeanum! I realize torso height is a factor, I didn't clarify. :p She has just outgrown her newborn onsies, but is almost outgrown the 0-3 months sleepers, so I think she has a short torso. If I'm lucky, she'll stay that way!

My older DD has a 1/2" or so of room left in her Marathon at 5yrs 2mos. Her main seat is a Regent b/c I prefer to keep her harnessed. You can see her stats in my signature. She's certainly old enough and big enough to be in a booster and she likely will be once she outgrows the MA in DH's car. I'm curious to see if she is mature enough to ride in one at that point, even though she's a good listener and a pretty compliant kid.

For comparison, I tried her in a Blvd about 2 months ago and she was already too tall for it torso-wise. In our experience, it doesn't give quite as much strap height as the MA. The EFTA seems like a nice seat, but I sat her in one just this past weekend and she was too tall for it, while she still has room to grow in her MA. If I needed a seat for my younger FF DD I would definitely consider it, though. Very plush and comfy looking. If I was in your shoes now I would probably go with a MA or Blvd, since they are so easy to use and tether RF.

One question, though - can she use your older DD's outgrown Triumph for a while? Then, like a PP suggested, pass the Regent down to younger DD?

CandCfam

I'm deciding on a seat for DD2. She is currently only 14 weeks and in a SR. She still has plenty of room to grow in it, but I'm trying to plan ahead. With DD1, I started out with a 40# seat (Triumph) and had to get a higher weight limit seat (Regent), because she is outgrowing Triumph. Anyway, I'd like to avoid that with DD2. If possible, I'd like to get a higher weight limit seat that will last until she needs a booster. Money is a factor, which is why I was asking about the MA over the Decathlon or Boulevard. I realize that there is no one age that children are ready for a booster, and they need to pass the 5 point test, but I was hoping to get a generalization. DD2 was at the 50th percentile for weight and height at her 6 week apt. and 60th percentile for weight at her 10 week apt., so I'm hoping she stays on the small side. I've also considered the new Triumph or the FPSVD, but since there weight limits are lower, I was afraid of her not quite making it with them. Thanks for any help!

McKenzie, who is 5.8, is still in her Marathon, though she is getting close to outgrowing it by height; She is about 46 lbs, 50th % for H&W. ETA: She is 44" tall and has a 16.5" torso.
Taylor, who is 3.10, won't last as long in her Marthon, I don't think. She's on the top slots, but still has quite a bit of torso growing room to get even with the top slot; I just think she'll get there earlier/younger age than McKenzie has/will be. She is 44 lbs, 90th % for height, 80th for weight. ETA: She is 40 3/4" tall and has a 14.5" torso.
I don't have their height measurement right now.

I really like this idea from PP:
If you are really on a tight tight budget, then you could get a $40 Scenera and when that is outgrown (typically around 3.5 years old), move her into the Regent and your oldest into a booster seat (provided they are old/big/mature enough for a booster seat... typically around age 6 and at least 40lbs).

I did want to point out too, that the 5 step test is used for determining when a child is ready to move OUT of a booster, not a into one.:)

Last edited:

Splash

Is the Triumph gone? If you still have it, just use that for now. You can buy something else later on down the line.

For most kids, yes, a Marathon will work fine until a booster. Or until she's too big and moves into big sister's Regent and sister moves into a booster. My kid will likely outgrow the MA by four or so, much too young in my opinion for a booster. But he is absurdly tall. Most kids make it to about 5.5, I've even seen one (small, mind you) nine year who still *barely* fit.

twokidstwodogs

My older daughter outgrew her Marathon harness slots at 4 years 3 months. But she was well over the 97th percentile for height at the time, and also has a long torso. I would not expect many kids to outgrow it so soon; we see very few kids her age who are taller than her.

The Radian, however, would not have been a good option for us. I had her sit in one when she outgrew the MA, and she was very uncomfortable. Of course it's hard to know how a child will grow, but I would bet that only quite skinny children will be comfortable in the Radian through its full harness slot life.

nhlbluesgirl

The Radian, however, would not have been a good option for us. I had her sit in one when she outgrew the MA, and she was very uncomfortable. Of course it's hard to know how a child will grow, but I would bet that only quite skinny children will be comfortable in the Radian through its full harness slot life.

Yikes! I just got a Radian for DD1 for my grandparents car (they watch her during the day), and she is far from skinny. :eek:

nhlbluesgirl

Is the Triumph gone? If you still have it, just use that for now. You can buy something else later on down the line.

We still have it. I was hoping to get something that is RF to 33 or 35 pounds though. I'm thinking I could use the old Triumph for now, and then purchase a Triumph Advance once she gets towards the 30 pound RF limit.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There are kids around the 50lbs mark that are still comfortable in the Radian. One of the regular posters son is in one at that weight with no issues that I know of.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC