Question WHY do booster manufacturers think everyone drives an enormous car?

cevamal

I just bought a Golf, "upgrading" (;)) from a Civic and am frustrated by how hard it is to get three kids into the back.

My DDs are 4.5 (40lb 43") & 6.5 (50lb 50") and in a Boulevard and HB Turbobooster, respectively. I also have a second TB and a Cosco no-back.

All I want is a narrow booster to keep in the trunk for the occasional carpool. Is it really so much to ask?! I can physically fit a NB in between their seats, but then I can't get to the seat belts.

I've been reading the forum and have three potential solutions: switch my 6yo to a Parkway and hope that one of my current NB seats will then fit, or get a Evenflo Amp or Harmony LiteRider, both of which appear to be narrower. I haven't seen any of those seats for sale at my local Target but I noticed this morning that a friend has an older Parkway. My understanding is that the dimensions are about the same on the older and newer models so I can test-fit with hers. It also looks like the NBs are sold at Walmart so I could brave the teeming millions there.

I'm sure the Parkway will be the crowd favorite, but I'd really rather not pay $100 when there's a $15-25 option.

Any other suggestions? Anything I'm overlooking? Is there a reason they make the damn things so wide? *I* can fit in between their current seats, why can't a booster?!

ADS

Maedze

You squish; boosters do not ;)

There is a difference between a human being, and a rigid plastic model that must be wide enough to have its shell and contain a child up to 100 pounds on its inside, if that makes sense.

For boosters to fit three across in most cars, they would have be so narrow that they could not practically accommodative older children. And then, as you've noted, it's very difficult to get to the seatbelt.

I would suggest a Ride Safer Travel Vest for you. I know it's more than you want to spend, but it will solve your difficulties.

I snapped this picture yesterday. The vehicle is a Hyundai Sonata (considered to be quite a wide vehicle). The child restraints are Sunshine Kids Radians (one of the narrowest convertibles on the market), forward and rear facing outboard.

You'll see there is just enough room for my almost 6 year old in the center position, wearing a vest.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A Boulevard is a wide seat. How about switching to an Evenflo Maestro, and install it with seatbelts so you can scootch it over towards the door a bit more.

cevamal

I will grant you my squishiness. ;)

I didn't know about the vest, I'll consider that, thanks. How cumbersome is it to get in and out of? I want the kids to be able to do it entirely on their own, and quickly. It's a two-door and I do not climb in the back unless under extreme duress. ;) It'll be used for five-minute drives in town so I was envisioning a compact booster that I could just toss in the back. The vest would take up a lot less hatch space, though.

Ditching the Boulevard is not on the table. It's an expensive seat!

ETA: why do all boosters have arm rests? It seems to be a major factor in them being so wide. I'm guessing it must have some safety feature (holding down the seat belt?) since they're so ubiquitous. I'd just keep a phone book in the trunk except we live in a town of 40k and the phone book's not even half an inch thick. (KIDDING!)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Where are your daughter's shoulders in relation to the top strap settings on the Boulevard? You may *have* to ditch it soon, since it will probably be outgrown by height in the not-too-distant future.

Maedze

I do help my son with it, but I don't find it particularly cumbersome to deal with once you've done it once or twice. I can buckle him in when turning around in the front driver's seat.

You're right about the armrests. They generally have a crash purpose; they keep the lap belt from riding up in an accident.

The old style Britax Parkway was designed without armrests, but they've been discontinued for about three years now.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, the armrests act as artificial hips, holding the lapbelt down and taking some of the crash forces. There have been some without armrests in the past, but I think they've been banned in many countries.

My nearly eight year old can do up the vest herself in about three minutes. I agree that either it, or getting rid of the Boulevard to make more room, are your best options.

Wendy

cevamal

Where are your daughter's shoulders in relation to the top strap settings on the Boulevard? You may *have* to ditch it soon, since it will probably be outgrown by height in the not-too-distant future.

I don't know...it has the wheel to turn to adjust the shoulders so it's not easy to see where it tops out. Britax's web site says it goes to 49" and she's only 43" so while I know that the shoulder straps are the defining factor since kids vary in torso length it's still a 6" gap.

Maedze

I don't know...it has the wheel to turn to adjust the shoulders so it's not easy to see where it tops out. Britax's web site says it goes to 49" and she's only 43" so while I know that the shoulder straps are the defining factor since kids vary in torso length it's still a 6" gap.

That 49" is rather unrealistic. The Boulevard adjusts for about a 16.25" torso height, meaning most kids start to outgrow the Boulevard around your daughter's height. 43-46" is generally the best you can hope for in that seat.

My six year old is 48" and outgrew the Boulevard 2 years ago, if that helps you visualize.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

My dd was out of the blvd by the time she was 40 inches, just to show you a variation. It's certainly possible it's outgrown.
Yes, it can be difficult to get 3 across in smoe cars, and unfortunately, price not withstanding, it is very possible you might need to get that blvd out of the mix. However, I think the RSTV is a good option for you. unfortunately, you dont always get what you want in the carseat world, compromises have to be made. (unless you drive like..an armada. ;) Then you can do whatever you want)

cevamal

I guess I'll crank it up this afternoon and see how much time we have left.

While I appreciate not having to feed straps, OMG that wheel is a PITA! I've been out of the loop on carseats since buying the boulevard. Are there better/easier shoulder adjusters on seats now?

Also, what's the CW on moving to a booster? I know that a 5pt is always safer, but I'm looking for a checklist for moving to a HBB.

ETA: it's ridiculous that a 40" kid can outgrow a 49" carseat. I bought the boulevard specifically because my kids are tall and I wanted to keep her harnessed as long as possible. Stupid Britax.

DahliaRW

My 5 1/2 yo can do the vest himself most times. Occassionally he needds help buckling the clip on the vest, but I can do that by reaching through the middle two front seats if need be.

Your dd can be in a booster when she is mature enough to sit properly in the seatbelt 100% of the time.

As for outgrowing seats, it really has nothing to do with the stated height limit and everything to do with how tall their torsoes are. So your best bet is a seat with the highest harness slots you can find (or that you need).

jjordan

When you're checking the remaining harness height on the boulevard, it can be a little tricky because sometimes the cover doesn't line up exactly with the harness slots in the plastic. I've found it works well to take something sort of stiff and straight (like a stiff straw or plastic knife, "blade" turned away from child) to stick in the slots in the actual seat while the child's seated. Hold the stiff object out parallel to the ground and see how far it is between the child's shoulders and the object. That gives you a good idea of how much torso growth you have room for.

Also, take heart regarding your choice of a boulevard. :) Depending on when you bought the seat, there may not have been any options that were significantly longer-lasting at the time. My own dd just turned 4 and is in a boulevard I bought around her 1st birthday. At the time it was definitely one of the longer-lasting convertible seats on the market.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have a bv. I can feel the screw/rod and tell how much room dd has. Our 3y dd is 41# and 34" and has about 1 1/2" of torso left. She has a long torso.

Our 4y ds is 50# and 43" and doesn't fit anymore.

jjordan

OP - torso height only tells part of the story. When you're getting close to the limit, you really have to sit them in the seat in the car in order to see how much room they have left. Sometimes torsos measure one way and then the kids fit in the seats another way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC