Why are YOU obsessed with car seats?

Mom to a few

I was going to just ditto Defrost, but this thread got me thinking...trying to figure out where my obsession started. I think now I know.

When I was a kid (maybe 7 or 8 yrs), a girl that I knew at our church was killed in a car accident. We weren't "best friends" or anything, but I'd always looked up to her for whatever reason. She was riding to school with her older brother who was driving (she was sitting in the front passenger seat). He had a couple of scrapes, and she was dead. I remember being so incredibly devastated at the time. I made my mom take me to the funeral (which she REALLY didn't want to attend), and I just kept crying and praying asking God why she was dead. How could something like that happen to such an innocent kid?? I guess that early experience really got my attention as far as understanding that cars can be deadly--even for children. I think before that, I kind of felt like kids were invincible. After her death, I was more aware of the potential dangers to myself and other kids. My younger sister even remembers me tightening her harness straps when she was a toddler, and tightening her lapbelt when she was out of a harnessed seat.

I was always concerned about carseat issues when I had my first child, trying so hard to make sure I was doing everything right, BUT I WAS MAKING MISTAKES!! I actually found this site several years ago because I was researching one of my favorite "safety" devices on epinions.com--The dreaded Mighty Tite. I thought I had been making my child (and others I'd recommended it to :() safer...that I was doing it so much safer than everyone else. And when LATCH came along, I thought that using LATCH and seatbelt must be safer than one alone, etc. Anyway, on one of the reviews for the MT, someone who claimed to be a cpst gave all sorts of reasons why it wasn't safe after all. I was SHOCKED!! She gave a link to this site, and I was hooked!! I lurked for a few years before I ever joined.

People had been asking my advice, and getting me to help them install their seats for years, so I decided to become a tech, and finally got the opportunity to take the course years later. Most people are using their seats incorrectly, but often its because they really don't know or understand the reasons. And most people really do love their children, and want them to be safe...its just a matter of getting the information out in a way that they can receive it. Finding this website was absolutely amazing. It definitely fueled the insanity for me :D. I just want to help save other families from the pain and trauma of a dead or severely injured child if at all possible. Working as a CPST was a way that I felt that I could make a real difference in people's lives, so that's why I'm obsessed...or um...passionate :)

So make sure you keep posting on epinions, yahoo answers, ovusoft, and other parenting sites--You never know who'll be touched by your message!

Last edited:
ADS

mommycat

Lots of reasons, including a slightly obsessive personality (packrat, shopaholic, collector of anything and everything). I came here and was easy to "brainwash" since once something slips past my inner sceptic, it becomes a mission. :D

I also am very indecisive and want to do insane amounts of research to get "the best" but feel like I can never devote the time and energy to everything, and I wish that someone would just tell me what to do. This seemed like a worthy cause to devote my time, and now I want to give a short, easy answer with all the most important and useful info to whoever asks (or I think needs to know). I am on a mission to educate others about something really important and which might make a difference in someone's life.

cowgirlsmommy

It all started with a Britax Marathon. lol. Seriously. I started buying all these magazines about parenting when I was pregnant with my daughter and one day, I saw an advertisement in one for a Britax Marathon. I thought it was soooooo pretty. So I Googled it to find more information. Well, not only did I find info about that but I started discovering all these car seat boards. Then I started finding stuff about ERF and all this other fun stuff. It became an obsession since then. I wanted to keep my daughter safe at all times and I knew safety in the car was a big thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC