News WHOOOOOO 45 pound rearfacing limit is coming SOON!!!!

amyd

Trudy- thanks for the explanation...it makes sense:thumbsup:

Melissa- they are $329 on the pre-order & the Junior Baby site lists the MSRP at $349.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I soooo want to pre-order one, but if it doesn't work in our vehicle (and I could only get the original Radian installed at a crazy angle and as such was too reclined for a 3 year old and wouldn't fit behind the driver's seat) and has to be returned, Junior Baby charges a 15% restocking fee PLUS the original cost of shipping (even if shipping is free) PLUS the shipping I'd have to pay to get it back to them. And since it's so darn heavy and I don't live close, shipping is surely going to be between $25-$35 (and have to pay that for both ways) and $50 for restocking; so it's a minimum $100 if it doesn't work for me. Yikes! Their policies sure dissuade from returning anything (and as such buying anything if a person can't return without it costing an arm and a leg).

I wish I knew someone with a Radian that had the new base so I could test it out. :(

amyd

I soooo want to pre-order one, but if it doesn't work in our vehicle (and I could only get the original Radian installed at a crazy angle and as such was too reclined for a 3 year old and wouldn't fit behind the driver's seat) and has to be returned, Junior Baby charges a 15% restocking fee PLUS the original cost of shipping (even if shipping is free) PLUS the shipping I'd have to pay to get it back to them. And since it's so darn heavy and I don't live close, shipping is surely going to be between $25-$35 (and have to pay that for both ways) and $50 for restocking; so it's a minimum $100 if it doesn't work for me. Yikes! Their policies sure dissuade from returning anything (and as such buying anything if a person can't return without it costing an arm and a leg).

I wish I knew someone with a Radian that had the new base so I could test it out. :(

I feel the same way. I just called our local baby boutique that carries SK & told them I want one..the girl hadn't even heard of them:p

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This sounds like a stupid question even to me, but is it safe to assume I'll still be able to install one of these with a regular old seatbelt? We don't have the UAS in our car.

My recent conversation with the distributor left me wanting to sort this point out with him. From the quick conversation, it might be ok to use with seatbelt to the new rf limit with the current models. But I'm not 100% sure what the official stand and what is unofficial understanding might be, if there is any, in regard to seatbelt installation.

I will let you know what is said on this, unless someone here get the answer first.

hipmaman

Will these new seats have the same top harness height??

I hear that nothing major in terms of shape or size would change except the UAS anchors being the major change (and which facilitates the higher rf limit).

We should just gather all the questions here and either I or someone here can put them all in an email to ask SKJP Canada.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We should just gather all the questions here and either I or someone here can put them all in an email to ask SKJP Canada.
My question is if they are dealing with the 32" RF height limit (i.e. removing it!). And if not, WHY not? (i.e. does this seat not pass some weird part of CMVSS without that limit?).

Because they are ignoring my email on this subject. :mad:

snowbird25ca

My question is if they are dealing with the 32" RF height limit (i.e. removing it!). And if not, WHY not? (i.e. does this seat not pass some weird part of CMVSS without that limit?).

Because they are ignoring my email on this subject. :mad:

Good luck with that. I have yet to encounter a manufacturer who is candid about the 32" stickered limit and doesn't just stick to the "CMVSS standards" line or "follow your manual" line when dealing with specific questions related to the 32". :thumbsdown:

To answer the question about the seatbelt - provided I understood it correctly, yes, this seat will be able to be installed with the seatbelt. It is mandatory that a seat be able to be installed with UAS and seatbelt (not at the same time) in order to meet CMVSS 213 and 213.1 standards.

No, seats without the 45lb limit sticker and not sold as SL will not be able to be used rf'ing to 45lbs with the seatbelt. They have made changes to the harness and tether in the SL seats, and in the end it is no different than not making the 40lb limit retroactive.... you get in to the issue of stickers and manuals.

dogmelissa

To answer the question about the seatbelt - provided I understood it correctly, yes, this seat will be able to be installed with the seatbelt. It is mandatory that a seat be able to be installed with UAS and seatbelt (not at the same time) in order to meet CMVSS 213 and 213.1 standards.

This makes perfect sense and though I understand that the UAS can make installation easier (on some cars with some seats), I also know that in some situations it's impossible to get a proper install with them, so couldn't think of a reason why any seat wouldn't allow for a seatbelt installation.
Thanks for the clarification! As it stands, I won't be buying this seat for close to a year (depending on how big lo is at birth and how fast she grows), so I do have time to wait for reviews and possible changes. Boy I sure hope this seat will work in our car cause now I'm totally excited about it!!!

Melissa

hipmaman

This makes perfect sense and though I understand that the UAS can make installation easier (on some cars with some seats), I also know that in some situations it's impossible to get a proper install with them, so couldn't think of a reason why any seat wouldn't allow for a seatbelt installation.

Melissa

From my brief conversation, the higher rf limits of 40 and 45 lbs would not be retroactive for any of the current models - installed by UAS or seatbelt. But that might be the official position as there would be no restickering and to use them to 40 and 45 lbs would be against the manufacturer's sticker limit and such.

What I want to know is if that would be firm and there will be not even an unofficial ok by SKJP for owners of current seats to use to the new rf limits with seatbelt installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC