Which last longer over all TF MR CA Radian

mburks26

My brothers girlfriend is pregent this time and it is for sure his. He does not have a stable job and got about 5 months before due time. Hes just 21 going to be 22 at the end of the year.

I am going to try to purchase the seat. I have no clue what car or etc. They live in another state.

TF has 35 weight limit rf and 65 ff and 17 ish slots also has lock offs no thread harness
MR has 40lb rr weight limit and 65 ff and 16 ish slots makes for a crappy install
CA has 40lb rf weight limit and dont know the rest
Radian has 45lb rf weight limit and 17 ish slots hard to install and fit in some cars.

Im leaning toward the TF here fits newborns well unless the baby is going to be like my brother not ever 4lbs at birth and size of a football no joke.
Is there any reason not to go with that as it seems it will last longer over all? My dd was 35 between 2 and 3 and I know people want to rear face til 4 but if the only seats that can do that is out of price range and wont install then what choice do we have to really then to turn at that age right.

Any good tech in New Mexico I think that is where they are now dont know the town yet.

ADS

Mommy0608

The True Fit, MyRide and Radian (with the ComfySoft insert, comes with some Radian models) will fit most newborns (5lbs and up). The CA is rated down to 5lbs but the harness, in the lowest position, is ridiculously high and will NOT fit a newborn. My DS barely reached the lowest harness position at 11 months.

If the baby is likely to be small, I'd go for a seat rated down to 4lbs or from birth... but if there's no indication that the baby will be very small, I'd opt for a True Fit. The reason I'd pick the True Fit is because it has a much taller shell than the MyRide (but with the removable headrest, it doesn't take up too much room at the newborn recline angle). It's also a little more user-friendly than a Radian, at least in my opinion. Of course it depends on the vehicle. The MyRide is so reclined FF, that I hesitate to recommend this seat for anyone looking to get full use of the seat both RF and FF. I like the True Fit both RF and FF.

ETA: I didn't really answer your question, which will last longest overall. I'd say rule out the Complete Air if you're using it from birth. In that case, between the Radian, MyRide and True Fit, I'd say the True Fit would probably last longest, followed closely by the Radian.

Mommy0608

The Evenflo Triumph Advance might be worth considering as well... it's a simple seat, no fancy features/gadgets (well, except the knobs), decent shell height, but slightly lower harness than the True Fit or Radian. I believe it fits newborns well (5lbs and up).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The MyRide is not a "crappy install": it is very easy to install in most cars.

What do they want? Do they want to use a convertible from birth or do they want an infant seat?

mburks26

I meant the MR install ff is not so good due to the big recline. If I know my brother its whats gonna last longer in the long run. Im afraid if I get infant seat then they will go ff as soon as it is outgrown or they wont have the money to get another seat seat etc. My brother was shocked when the last time we saw him and my dd was harnessed that was when she was 3ish. I cant send him links as he does not have a computer to see the videos and stuff. I can only tell him.
The other option I can see is getting a Cosco Scenera and then once its outgrown, get them something like the GN or what ever is out at that time? I just dont know the car situation if they will have one if the belts lock if they dont are they going to use the locking clip etc.

If I was having another baby I would do the TF (need lock offs) then probley a GN Elite (need lock offs) if they are still out at age 4 if the TF is outgrown by height/weight ff at that time
I got about 4 to 5 months to decide.

Is there any reason not to get a TF and is it ok to turn ff after 2 closer to 3 (just going by my dd and she was big and still is) hopefully if its out grown and can not afford other rf seats that rf longer then 35?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they rear-face to the limits of the seat, they have done what is best to the best of their ability, even if another seat could RF longer, if they can't afford to buy another seat to RF. Is it ideal? No. But even if the kid is 35 lbs. at 1 1/2, if they rear-face to the limits of the seat, that is the best they can do and you shouldn't feel too bad about it; it's better than most American parents do at this point.

Just be prepared to talk them into tether anchor installation if their car doesn't have it after RF is outgrown. :)

sunnymw

I'd say the TF because the lock-offs really help for people who do a less-than-stellar install job normally.

TFP has better access to the harness adjuster, which may be a big deal if you think it'll mean the difference between it being tight enough or not. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC