which is best double umbrella for 3.5yo and 1yo?

minismom

Is the maclaren the best and if so what's the difference between the triumph and techno? Any cheaper options?
I don't need a full recline and am just looking for something easy to maneuver and as lightweight as possible. Needs to be narrow enough for regular doorways. Don't think I'll use this all that often, just on weekends really, but right now I have the city elite with the toddler seat and it's getting hard to push as the kids grow. Plus I may need the umbrella and quick fold for an upcoming airport trip.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

ADS

Athena

What are their weights? My girls are 2 and 4 with a combined weight of about 65 pounds and my mac twin triumph has gotten heavy to push. I have not tried the other umbrella fold doubles. The only one I tried was the combi when my kids were much lighter and at that time I definitely preferred the mac. The fold is great and your kids are younger and I'm assuming lighter so it might still work for you. I do love the tall seats and it still fits my tall 4 yo well. It pushes fine with just one of them, but gets heavy with both. I don't know if the techno would be better. It was easy to maneuver on the showroom with less weight, but less so now. Then again, I find the separate handle umbrella type strollers harder to maneuver in general. I'm not sure if this was helpful at all. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I will try to answer.

minismom

Thanks! I guess two kids are gonna be heavy no matter what, no easy fix :( But I wonder if the side by side double would be easier to make turns and stuff, just based on how the weight is distributed compared to a tandem.
Thanks!

Athena

I remember trying them out in the store, I preferred the side by sides, but I've never owned or really used a tandem IRL. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Have you considered the BJCMicro? There is a great review here. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=130569 I'm seriously considering buying one, but it won't fold as small as the mac and I have not tried it yet so cannot offer any IRL comparison to the mac.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I really prefer the way the Maclaren pushes to the cheaper umbrella SBS strollers I've tried. Yeah, 2 kids gets heavy sometimes, but that's a fact of life. The Maclarens do push nicer than say the Jeep ones, etc. If it HAS to be an umbrella type SBS, a Mac is all I'd consider, really.

Athena

The Maclarens do push nicer than say the Jeep ones, etc.

I agree that I wouldn't even look at something cheap like the Jeep. However, when I was buying my mac a couple years ago, there were others that I never got to see in person, but that looked like they might be just as nice, like the Joovey and Inglesina. Anyone familiar with those? Just thinking, you might want to consider those if you stumble upon one used. :shrug-shoulders:

Auntie2Avi

My friend is using a Mac double for her two kids (almost exactly same ages as yours) and she said it is impossible to push with one hand. She is borrowing it from a friend but is planning on getting a BJCMD or another AT double. She is borrowing the Mac from a friend who just got a double Mountain Buggy for her two kids (who are 18 months and 4 years). She does like that it doesn't take up a ton of space folded though :).

Hth

Athena

My friend is using a Mac double for her two kids (almost exactly same ages as yours) and she said it is impossible to push with one hand. She is borrowing it from a friend but is planning on getting a BJCMD or another AT double. She is borrowing the Mac from a friend who just got a double Mountain Buggy for her two kids (who are 18 months and 4 years). She does like that it doesn't take up a ton of space folded though :).

Hth

True, I would not expect to steer one handed, unless it had very little weight in it (like just one baby or toddler) in a store, only then is it doable. But you cannot beat the fold! That was why I bought it, yet now that my kids are bigger/heavier and it is getting harder to push, I am considering replacing it with the BJCMicroD.

I've tried the Inglesina, didn't find it as much to my personal taste, though it was a nice stroller.

Good to know! Thanks.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, the things I didn't like were really just personal preference things. It's a nice stroller for sure, just not MY favorite. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC