Which high back booster for a very large boy

rizzo0904

I need to transition my 5 year old to a high back booster. He's currently 50 inches tall and about 72lbs. I'd love to keep him in a five point, but he starts first grade in the fall and is so big, I guess it's time to transition. Pretty sure he was the only kid in his kindergarten class in a 5 point.

I'm leaning towards the Britax Parkway. We drive a Subaru Outback and only have one other carseat in the back. Good choice? Or should I look at something else?

ADS

Baylor

What is he in now? I put my kids in Boosters for Kindergarten. It makes for easier drop off and pick ups. I still used a 5 point once in a while on long trips but for school and day rides I did a booster.

What is your price range?

rizzo0904

He's in a Diono Radian RXT. It five points until 80lbs, then converts. But we need to get a second seat for the sitters car. So we will likely put the new one in our car and give her the older one.

Price range...don't really care but would like to stay under $200.

aeormsby

The parkway is good, nice and tall. Also take a look at the Recaro Performance booster. I haven't heard much about it since it's new but the Diono Cambria may be a good option, if it's similar to the Monterey which it replaced it should be a good fit for larger kids (although it may not even be out yet).

Just a word of warning for the Radian as a booster - it doesn't fit long as a booster once it's outgrown as a harnessed seat. The shoulder belt guide is not adjustable. If you need to get 2 seats and he's not in the sitter's car often you could look at NBB's for that.

hesgimenez

I need to transition my 5 year old to a high back booster. He's currently 50 inches tall and about 72lbs. I'd love to keep him in a five point, but he starts first grade in the fall and is so big, I guess it's time to transition. Pretty sure he was the only kid in his kindergarten class in a 5 point.

I'm leaning towards the Britax Parkway. We drive a Subaru Outback and only have one other carseat in the back. Good choice? Or should I look at something else?

My one tip-that I recently learned is important, make sure the booster is good to 120lbs. I have a solid 8yo who is nearing 100lbs. It might never be a concern for your DS but if I could go back in time, my last three seat purchases would have been different. Regent would have been a Frontier (even though I loved the Regent). Graco Surround (100lb limit) would have been a Britax booster of some sort. Nautilus is the only one I might have kept since I think it was orginally in DH car.

As I said, it might never be a concern for you, just sharing my experience. Or yours might five step by then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC