Which booster seats can use top tethers again?

MommyG

Sorry if this has been asked....I did do a search and didn't come up with the exact answer.

If I wanted one booster only seat in the back of my sedan (not a combo seat) is Safeguard my only choice?

Thanks!

ADS

Evolily

Do you want a 5 point harness or a belt positioning booster???

I think the Safeguard seats are only 5 point harness seats. I know the safeguard GO says it's a booster, but it's really a harness seat that transitions into a booster. All of the high weight harness seats I know of have the top tether option. As for boosters that top tether I think your options are more limited.

For high weight harness seats that are forward facing only the options I know of (from cheapest to most expensive) are the Cosco Apex 65, the Graco Nautilus, the Britax Regent, and the Britax Frontier. The Nautilus and Frontier both convert into nice booster seats, the Regent will harness the longest, and the Apex needs a headrest behind it to be used. The Apex also converts into a booster but I've heard not so great reviews of how good it is as a booster. We have the Nautilus and I really like it!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just a top tether, or LATCH too?

Recaro Start tethers. That's the only one I can think of that tethers only.

The Monterey, Frontier, and Nautilus can be LATCHed in booster mode. Since not all cars have LATCH I would assume that a top tether only would be ok as well (though I don't know that the Monterey has a top tether). The Jane Indy Plus can be LATCHed. The Clek Olli and Oobr I believe are both LATCHed.

The Go doesn't use the tether in booster mode. The tether is only to hold the harness up.

Wendy

MommyG

Ah, thanks. I was looking for top tether, because I didn't know some also permitted LATCH for that big of a kid.

I have a Camry....can I LATCH a kid over 40 lbs in that one....? I know I can't in my Honda. My biggest is about 45 lbs and the seat would be for him.

Thanks!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, thanks. I was looking for top tether, because I didn't know some also permitted LATCH for that big of a kid.

I have a Camry....can I LATCH a kid over 40 lbs in that one....? I know I can't in my Honda. My biggest is about 45 lbs and the seat would be for him.

Thanks!

I know you were asking about a booster in your first post, but now I'm not sure if you're asking about a booster or a harnessed seat.

If you're asking about a harnessed seat, it will depend. Toyota defers to the LATCH limits of the child restraint, which are usually 40 or 48 pounds. After that point (or before), it's perfectly fine to install with a seatbelt instead.

For a booster (or a combination seat being used in booster mode), you can LATCH it at any weight, presuming, of course, that the seat allows LATCHing in booster mode. In that case, LATCH is only holding the weight of the seat, not the seat and the child, so it will automatically be under the weight limit.

Kat_Momof3

With the Nautilus, it has been confirmed that when the vehicle doesn't have latch, you can use the top tether or have it not fixed by either one when in booster mode.

The frontier is confusing and we aren't perfectly sure you can use it as a booster without having it in with latch.

as the pp's mentioned, having a booster latch, tether, or both, is still new and very hard to find.

the ones they listed are all I know of, either.

for latch limits, it is different with a booster than with a harnessed seat.

the latch for a booster is only holding the seat to prevent it being a projectile and isn't actually holding or restraining the child, so the weight limit is not an issue.

for a harnessed seat, toyota says 48lbs.

at 45lbs, how old and how tall is your child??

I would consider keeping him/her in a harness at that weight before looking at boosters.

if he is under 6yrs old, definitely harness, over 6, depends on the kid.

MommyG

He's almost 7. He actually does well in the seat belt.

Cool that I can use LATCH, too, now always. I never thought of that....it only does hold the seat at this point!

So, I have an unexpired CarGo that I use as a spare in harness mode right now for another kid, but I can also use that if I take the harness off. I was hesitant to use that because I was looking for something better.

Is it safe to just use that then (I can tether and use LATCH with that as well.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the Cargo allows you to use the top tether in booster mode, but not the lower anchors. I'm sure someone else will clarify if that's not the case.

Combination seats usually don't make the best boosters (the Nautilus and Frontier are exceptions to the rule). Check to see how your son fits in it. The lap belt should sit on his hips, not his belly, and the shoulder belt should cross the middle of his shoulder.

Kat_Momof3

the cargo tends to make a horrid booster because of the closed shoulderbelt guides.

I don't remember if it allows you to use latch... I think it's just the top tether and that might not be the case anymore.

Anyway, I'd get a different booster.

At 7, he's definitely at an age where he should know how to behave in a booster, so if you want him in one, that's fine.

emandbri

There was another thread that said that you could latch the cargo and the nuautlis.

The monterey has the lower anchors but no tether and I'm fairly sure it is the same on the jane indy plus and the oobr is due out in Feb.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC