What seat should I buy now? My Ride 65 buckle broke and I need to replace the seat. Also have a booster question.

DAR

The other night I had to cut the straps on my son's My Ride 65 to get him out. The buckle broke and neither my Dad nor DH could get him out. We then cut him out, thank goodness we were at my parents and not in an emergency situation. I just called Graco and was told I would need to get a new seat since I cut the harness. The buckles are replaceable, but not the harness.

I have boys that are on the tall side. DS is now 3 and 40.5 inches tall and 38 lbs. My 5 year old is 46.5" tall and 54 lbs.

We have 3 cars. I have a 2002 Tahoe, hopefully being replaced with a 2011-2013 Toyota Sienna within the next year. DH with a 2006 crew cab Sienna which is being replaced by work with a Volvo XC70 we think in the next few months. My parents with a Volvo XC60.

My 5 year old rides in the Britax Frontier 85 in all the Cars and my 3 year old rides in my 5 year olds old Graco Nautilus's in my husbands and parents cars. I had the My Ride and a Frontier 85 in my car until I had to cut the straps.

It appears my 5 year old does not have too much time left in his Frontier 85, but is it long enough to warrant buying another Frontier 85 for my 3 year old? He always wants to ride in his brothers and says it is way more comfortable.

Or do I buy a booster for my DH's truck since DS does not ride in it much and move the Frontier 85 over to my car. DH has been hoping if the Volvo comes through at work he will be able to get the built in booster seats included so oldest DS could use that and he would not have to have 2 seats in his work car. Any ideas?

Also how do the Frontier 85 and Nautilus work as boosters for my oldest. I plan to keep him harnessed until he outgrows the harness. Will he be able to use either as a booster or will I need to buy him a booster when he outgrows the Frontier harness.

Also as a side note is this protector safe to get it for my parents new car? They always want to keep towels under the boys seats and I know that isn't safe.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S864500-Vehicle-Protector/dp/B0080HPXHU/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_y"]Amazon.com: Britax Vehicle Seat Protector: Baby[/ame]

Let me know if I forgot anything. Sorry, I have been storing questions for when I would post again on here.

ADS

DAR

Graco is giving me $149 to replace the seat. DS will sit still enough for short drives. We live in a small town so we don't go on major highways unless it is planned. If so DS would be in the Frontier 85 no matter which car because I am not sure about his maturity for long distances yet.

I see Amazon has a Frontier for $200 which I would pay if it was worth it and I would be getting more than a years use out of it. I am just not sure of its booster potential. I also wish I knew more of DH's situation with the new Volvo.

jacqui276

Also as a side note is this protector safe to get it for my parents new car? They always want to keep towels under the boys seats and I know that isn't safe.
Amazon.com: Britax Vehicle Seat Protector: Baby

Since it is made out of non-slip material it could hide a not-tight-enough install so I personally wouldn't use it. My understanding is that one layer of a thin towel is ok under the seats. I'm sure a tech can correct me if I'm wrong.

DAR

The Britax seat protector is actually thinner than a towel and I'd have no trouble using it.

Thanks I will get my parents one!

Anyone have any advice on how the Nautilus or Frontier 85 are as boosters when oldest DS outgrows the harness on the 85? Not sure if I was clear, but I am trying to figure out if my oldest would get any good use out of an 85 or Nautilus in booster mode. Are there designated boosters that are better or go taller? I just don't want to buy another frontier 85 if it is also not a good booster or is outgrown as a booster at the same time as one outgrows the harness.

Also the Frontier has the highest harness right still, correct?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

zactayaus

Just curious, did you try loosening the harness all the way and try letting kiddo climb out of the still buckled harness or even try uninstalling the car seat with kiddo in it then loosening the harness enough to unattach the harness from the splitter plate before making the decision to cut the harness? (Wow that was a run on sentence!)

DAR

Just curious, did you try loosening the harness all the way and try letting kiddo climb out of the still buckled harness or even try uninstalling the car seat with kiddo in it then loosening the harness enough to unattach the harness from the splitter plate before making the decision to cut the harness? (Wow that was a run on sentence!)

We did try loosening the harness and he was just so tangled in it that it was not worth trying. He already had been sitting there patiently for fifteen to twenty minutes while each of us pressed the buckle then tried to untangle him out. I also did not mention he is on the top buckle and pretty tall so there might as not been as much room to get him out as a smaller child might of had.

I did not think to uninstall it, but truthfully the latch was having problems too. My husband had gone inside, but it took my Dad and I a while to get the latch off. So no I do not think that would of been an easy option.

Brianna

Both the nautilus and frontier generally make good boosters for children who have outgrown the harness or are close. Smaller children who still have room to grow in the harness may not fit the booster mode well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC