What are your personal RF weight and age limits?

LP Mom

My goal with DS2 is 3. I turned DS1 around way too fast because I did not know any better. We have a Radian XTSL, so we definitely should make it to at least 3. :thumbsup:

ADS

andre149

We're in kind of an odd situation with my dsd being that she's not quite 2, already 29lbs, and I have a MA in my car that has the old 33lb limit. I'm also out of the country though so she won't be in my car that often. Our plan for the time being is to see where she goes weight/height wise. I've "told" myself that I'm ok FF her in my car in September (so just shy of 2.5), but realistically I'm thinking when the time comes I'll chicken out. So I hope that her weight levels out and I don't have to just yet. That being the case though, I think 2.5 would be my "cut-off" point so to speak for buying a new seat to RF, barring that you have a 40lb rearfacing seat (her other seat is a MR and we could move it around if need be, and would). I feel that once the child is mature enough and verbal enough to voice their opinions they should "feel" that they have a say, but ultimately you are the one that knows best. If dsd started saying something now or protesting the RF (she's FF in her mothers car... let's not go there ;)) I would talk to her about it but not change her seating situation. If she were 3.5 or so and started protesting I would probably offer up a compromise such as riding FF in town or being able to have a special book/soft toy in the car when she rode RF.

tracee877

I turned my oldest two FF before they were a year old:eek:, but that was way before I knew better. I did keep them harnessed until 8 and 6 years though. My orignal goal for DS2 was 2 years but that was when he was gaining weight rapidly. However he is now growing taller and thinning out so he will most likely make it to at least 3. He is now only 25lbs.

NannyMom

My goal has been 4. I've always said Sofi won't ride FF before she's 4. She almost had to today (at 3yrs 6m), but it was a true emergency situation (taking baby to ER), but it was avoided. Thinking ahead to her 4th birthday, I have a hard time imagining turning her FF, just like you are. I think I will let her be FF in other cars, and maybe RF still in mine beyond 4, but we'll see.

We know the neck matures between 4 and 6. The Swedes RF until 4-5. There have been studies (don't ask me where, but I'm sure I've seen them) that show RF to 4 is safER.

How would I feel if DC was hurt in a crash, and I knew should could have been safer RF?

mommy-medic

My youngest varied between 32-35 lbs right at her 3rd birthday in Feb. I had two Blvds- one 33 lb, one 35 lb. In the nanny's car I had to turn her FFing a few months shy of her 3rd birthday because the vehicle seatback is SO upright, her legs were shoved into her chest. I ended up selling the Blvd and getting a Nautilus (uneasy with Britax's recent FFing testing). I LOVE the nautilus!

For my car, I bit the bullet and got her a radian XTSL. 45 lb RFing limit. Steel frame. RF tetherable. Super narrow. 80lb FFing limit. Flora cover. :love:

I love the added legroom. I don't regret for a second buying another seat for a 3 yo to RF longer. I am also perfectly comfortable with her FFing in the nanny's car, since the seat fits her so well.

Long story short is that it's parental decision. I think you would be fine with either a HWH seat for FFing (with top tether) or a seat that allows longer RFing.

dmpmercury

My personal goal is to make it to 4. My dd is going to be 4 in September when the new baby is due and I thought about turning her foward behind the driver side to make a 3 across easier. I decided to get a cosco scenera for behind the driver side since it fit rear facing and I will keep her rear facing. Right now it being used as a spare in my other vehicle. When she goes back to being foward facing it will go back to the second vehicle.

Dd is a peanut and she got lots of room height wise and weight wise still even in a 33 pound boulevard. He seat expires in early 2012. I will either see if she hits the limits or wait until the seat expires to get her a foward facing seat. If she expresses a desire to change or it becomes annoying to get all 3 in the car I might consider turning her then. I want to make it to 4 with my other two kids too and since I don't anticipate any of them being on the heavy side I think that will happen easily.

I'm ok with the occasional foward facing ride at around 3 years but I really want to make it to 4 in the main vehicle. I do not let my ds ride foward facing at all in others vehicles yet and won't even consider it until 2. If the kids go beyond 4 and are still happy I will keep them rear facing even longer. There is still spinal development going on until age 6 so I think there is still some benefit.

Melanie

I don't think I have a weight limit. I think I'd buy a seat if necessary to make it to 3. After that, probably not. It would also depend on the vehicle. My cars don't have side airbags so I feel RF is even more important. If the child fits in the seat, I'd probably keep them to the limit. I look at it as why just be safe when you can be safer? They might get some say at 4, and more say at 5. I don't have that problem here though. My 5 year old would love to RF if she could.

DD1 doesn't count. She was turned at 1. But that was almost 14 years ago.

DD2 was turned 3 months shy of 3. She was hitting the max weight of our Marathon (33lb) and the highest RF seat was 35lbs at the time. I couldn't see buying a seat for 2 additional pounds. She could've gained those pounds in 1 month during a growth spurt. She'd actually been FF for a few months after she turned 1, before I found this board and turned her back.

DD3 is almost 3. I bought a Radian when she got close to the 33lb limit. It's a 40lb one (got it right before the new ones were released). I did justify the purchase a bit by thinking I could use her MA for my daycare girl. But in the 6 months I've had the Radian, I've only transported my own kids. She's just shy of 33lbs now. I won't be buying a 45lb seat for her when she outgrows this one. It's possible she will go from RF into a booster.

I'm torn about letting her FF in other cars. Right now she's just squeaking by RF in the spare Marathon. In 1/2 lb I'll have to FF her in the Marathon or move the Radian when necessary. The Radian isn't the easiest seat to move around. I know that some kids her age are riding in boosters, but I'm still having a hard time thinking of forward facing her.

simplychels

I'd like to see my DD make it through kindergarden rf'ing. I have a petite one, and Im having a really hard time picturing her ff'ing within the next 2 years. Hopefully we make it to 6 years old rf'ing. I've got the seat to well accomodate that, and if more come on the market I will eagerly purchase them. CMON BRITAX!

I'd probably take her opinion into consideration when she starts school.

At what age would I stop buying new seats? Never really, even if I got to use a seat for 6 months rf'ing, fine by me! Buying seats is fun, not a chore for me.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
4 is my goal. 4 or to the limits of the tallest, highest weight RF seat I have. At 4 if they still fit they get a choice. I won't buy a seat for a 4 year old (or very close to it) who WANTS to FF to RF in, but for an older child who wants to RF I will if I have the money (did for my 5 year old!)

For other people's cars I don't allow FF before 3 (or limits of the biggest seat), 2.5 in an emergency type situation.

I'm extremely comfortable for my more skinny kid(s) with RF to 6 or close to it, then straight to a booster. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My goal for DD2 was 3 years and 25 pounds. We are going to try one more seat, and if she won't stay in it, she'll go FF.

Heather86

When did you turn(or are you planning to turn) DC FF?
C was 4 years and 1 month my goal was 4 years. We took him out of the ma and bought a myride when he was 3.

How young should a child be for you to buy a new seat to accommodate RF?
I'd say I wouldn't by a seat after 3. But then again..maybe I would...I think after 3 it's more up to budget and parental choice.

At what age do you take child's opinion into account?
When they are over 2 and old enough to articulate why they want to ff.

ChckLiz

At 2, in other cars I will let him going FF.. in my car which is the main car that he is in the most, he will RF until the limits of his seat - 35 lbs. My car doesn't have side air bags, doesn't have tether or latch, and all in all isn't a very good car period.. so I feel much better with him RF!

If it was only up to me, I'd buy a new seat if I needed to at 3.. after that then I would be comfortable with him FF. But since my DH thinks I'm crazy for still RF him as it is, then that's just not going to happen!

3.. for the simple fact that I don't believe a child younger than 3 can honestly tell you what they want clearly. My son can't do that at all right now.. *lots of tatrums.. poor kid! lol* But I would not consider it until they hit 3.

Mom2FiveGirls

Well, I turned all my girls FFing WAY too soon....before I knew any better. I turned DD#5 back RFing in September and then DD#4 wanted to be RFing and we had seats so that was possible, so she was RFing for a while too. She just asked to be turned FFing again last month and I didn't have a problem with that. DD#5 is still RFing. I had said my goal was 3, but well, she'll be 3 in June and she still seems so little. She has tons of room left in the MR too, so she'll stay RFing...hopefully until 4. I don't see her outgrowing the seat before then.

Umm...I don't think I'd buy a new seat to keep a child RFing if they are 3 or older.

4ish...

kandamom

I would love to hear what do others think!

DS2's seat rear faces to 40 lbs. I plan to turn him when he is consistently 38-39 pounds without shoes. He is currently 36-37 lbs. He will turn three the end of June.

I am on the fence at 33 months, but since my child is so big and tall, our only option is one of the newer radians. I don't love the recline in my vehicle, and I think he would be too tall to rear face in the seat before 45 pounds, anyway. I did buy him a new seat for rear facing right around the time he turned 2. If I had a small or normal-sized child, it would be a harder decision for an almost-three-year-old.

Probably at four or close to four.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We went FF f/t just over 2.5yrs old due in part to logistics...and partly due to needing to use our only HW rf'ing seat as a FF seat in a 3 across. One of our twins has outgrown his DC by weight....and height for rf'ing...rather then battle one being rf'ing and one ff'ing, I chose to ff them both when we got our new little one and moved both boys to the 3rd row. I tried rf'ing in the 3rd row and that lasted about 2 days. It just wasn't feasible on a daily basis for me. So I flipped them and haven't looked back. I have no idea long I leave our youngest one rf for. If she stays with us, I would guess until at least 3.

JOII

DS rode RFing 95% of the time until 3 years old. He did FF a few times here and there while he was 2. He was also still under the weight limit when I flipped him but I was ok with that. Now that higher RFing seats are on the market and many people are RFing well past 2 and 3, I plan to do the same. When my son was younger almost no child could RF past 3 or 4ish because of weight, but with 45lbs RFing seats on the market now, many people are. Right now DD is 2 years 4 months, has never been FFing and I dont have the slightest desire to FF her. 3 will be my goal again, but I think I will go as long as I can.

Under 3.

around 4

L

LuciaBella

You said you are moving to Europe later in the year? Why don't you just buy a swedish seat as soon as she hits that 32 lb mark?

Shanora

Cordelia will be RFing forever, I swear it. I plan to keep her RFing until I can't anymore.

Liam was RFing until he was 23 months. He is currently 35 pounds at 4.5 years old, and I 'could' buy a seat for him and RF him, but have no desier to even try that. So he stay's FFing.

Josh was 6 months old when I FF him. He was 22 pounds at 6 months, and 10 years ago there was nothing to keep him rfing longer....lol

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My first 2 kids were 1yr (before I knew better). My dd was 2yrs 4 months. I had another baby and the older 2 couldn't get in the back seat if I had 2 RF seats plus, she was too tall to RF in the seat I have. I did not buy a new seat. This baby however, I want to make it until at least age 2, hopefully 3 but that will for sure require a new seat along the way. He's moving out of the SS1 tomorrow, he'll be 10mo tomorrow and is exacltly 1" from the top.

Around here (I'm in Utah), most parents are stuck on the 1yr, 20lb rule. I try to encourage 2yrs but honestly, I'm thrilled to see people make it to 18 months RF. I figure if we can get 18mo to be the "norm" then we can really push 2 or beyond.

ilo

You said you are moving to Europe later in the year? Why don't you just buy a swedish seat as soon as she hits that 32 lb mark?

I have been thinking about that. Carseats are much cheaper here and we probably will have another baby in Europe so we could buy DD a MT when we get there, use it from 4-5 years and then we would have it for the baby. Later I buy it more use the new baby will get before expiration. I'm think it would get quite expensive to ship a seat from Europe and I'm not sure how easy it would be to have my parents bring one in June. Would they give them trouble while coming to the country? Or maybe if I'll get Radian DD could use it in our second car in Europe when the main one would have MT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC