What age did your kid start buckling self?

Morganthe

When they moved to boosters. So 4 for the older kids (before I knew better), and 5-6 for the younger ones. I still have to untwist with Caleb most of the time.

In his harnessed seats he can do the chest clip but not the crotch buckle. I don't loosen harnesses to get him in and out and I bet he could if the harness was looser.

:yeahthat: DD was rarely ever able to buckle her harnessed seats. Chest clips - yes. 5 point, no. The crotch buckle (especially with tunics/dresses) + the fact I never loosened the straps made it too difficult. It wasn't coordination as much as strength and angles which caused the problems. The only seat I ever had that was easy to tighten back up was the European Maxi cosi she was in for a few years. Everything else was a total impossibility.

Ever since she went into a booster full time at just past 8.5 years, she's been buckling herself without any need for assistance.

So personally, I wouldn't be holding my breath in anticipation of 'freedom' from buckling anytime soon. :duck:

ADS

BananaBoat

:yeahthat: DD was rarely ever able to buckle her harnessed seats. Chest clips - yes. 5 point, no. The crotch buckle (especially with tunics/dresses) + the fact I never loosened the straps made it too difficult. It wasn't coordination as much as strength and angles which caused the problems.:

J is 4.5 and can buckle & unbuckle the chest clip of her Radian but not the crotch buckle. I rarely loosen or tighten it so its sometimes even hard for me to do! She's good about climbing in on her own, finding her straps & getting them on without being twisty & doing the chest clip. I do the rest. Meh.

mamakc

Both kids could buckle themselves at 3.5 but DD couldn't unbuckle until 4.5 and DS will probably be the same.

-Krista
DD~5.75~ Cybex Booster
DS~3.75~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

mybabybean

6 for DD1 (three across then)

3.75 for DS

2.5 for DD2 - She buckles the harness completely then reaches forward to grab the strap and pulls! I usually have to tighten a little more, but she does a better job than most adults. Ironically, she cannot unbuckle alone. My other two could unbuckle themselves way before they could buckle.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to believe me when I said 2yrs!! She was about 2-2.5 and also liked to buckle her friends :p She loves to "play car seats" in the store and can buckle/unbuckle every one she tries!
Now the 7yo can buckle her booster eventually, but struggles to buckle a harness and can NOT unbuckle it! The 4yo has to unbuckle her :)
We have started a few brief booster training rides with the 4yo to prepare for emergency situations and she usually can not buckle the seatbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC