What age are you comfortable moving kiddo's to booster FT?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

My son was 5.5 and barely 40 lbs, but he is a total rule follower. I was planning to do it before he started kindergaten in August, but a distracted driver beat me to it in early July. I had to replace his GN, and just went with a booster full-time (except for a 2 week road trip where he used a Radian).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Not much below 5.5 unless there are significant extenuating circumstances (like a 75# 4yo -- I'm still not *comfortable* with that but I accept that it might have to happen).

Anne

About 6, give or take a few months. Precisely when would depend on the child. I don't think I'd be comfortable any earlier than 5.5.

henrietta

Now that we're getting close to the possibility...ds1 is 5.5 and 38 lbs...

I'm comfortable with around 6 yrs old, but I will feel a little bit better about it when he's just a smidge taller than he is (43") and weighs a few more pounds.

mamabear

My DD1 was not ready until at least 6. Even at almost 8 she needs to be reminded of how she sits etc (she has impulse issues). At 53" and 64lbs there are no harnessed options for her, so 6.5yrs it was.

DD2 is the *poster child* for proper booster use. I made her permanent sightly after age 5. She begged for it and proved she could do it. I think she was 42" and 44lbs.....

babyherder

Depends on if the kid can be rf. If I had a 5 year old that was between 40 and 45 lbs lbs I'd much rather rf. But if he/she was ff I'd probably be ok with booster or harness.

katiesmommy

Somewhere between 5 and 7. I think it really depends on the kid though. My DD will be 6 in April, and she's nowhere near mature enough for full time boostering.

all together ooky

I had to at 6 when she outgrew the harness on the Frontier. I think another 6 months would have been better.

I also think she would have learned faster had I had locking shoulder belts instead of latchplates.

depends on the kid.

My oldest I was still not comfortable with boostering at age 6.5 cause she was still so hyper, BUT she out grew her radian and I had not yet learned of the wonders of swap here at cs.org to see if I could get her a taller harness seat, so I bought a turbo booster and she went into a booster with a locked belt.

With Fiona she is 5 and like 2 months, honestly if she wasn't so light weight I would start booster training now (well after the winter months) She is just so calm and very mature. I still might in the spring.. She is taller in the torso than her sister though, she was due to out grow the radian in about 6 months anyways. She has a nautilus and is using the top slots but has lots of room.

I am pretty sure that next year at this time she will be in a booster full time. (I will have to get one with a 30 lb min though, as she is only 33/34 lbs now)

finn

For my son it will be 5, he rides in a booster occasionally now (he just turned 4) and does really well, he knows the rules & follows them. I think by 5 he will be absolutely fine in a booster full time.

MommyBoha

With my DS, he was 7.5 before I felt comfortable with it. He has been boostered since Oct and does great. WIth DD, she is 5 and while Im quite postive she would do fine in a booster, she is 34lbs, so thats not happening yet.

Mags462

Well i just bought a TB for DS1 who is 2 weeks shy of 5.... i put him in it just to make sure i like the belt fit - and although the belt fit is great, and he is my "rule follower" i just couldn't get over how "exposed" i felt he was compared to his Nauti.

So for us it'll be 5yr6mo exactly, because he will be going to school and need to be able to buckle/unbuckle himself in the car drop off/pick up lane..... and he cannot undo the Nauti crotch buckle....

I just personally don't feel comfy putting him in it full time right now....

As for my direct answer to the question at hand at least 5.... after that it bothers me less and doesn't worry me as much! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC