We need a new SUV/Van

erinnicolevan

I posted on another thread about trying to get our '04 Durango to work with 5 carseats. I just don't see how it will work with the seats I currently own. SO, we have made a list of vehicles that might work, but I am curious if anyone has any opinions on how well they would work for my needs?

I will have 5 kids.

6-year-old (49 pounds) in a Britax Parkway
5-year-old (44 pounds) in a Britax Parkway
2 1/2 year old (34 pounds) is FF in Britax Roundabout
19 month old (22 pounds) is RF in Britax Roundabout
New baby will be in an infant seat (probably Primo Viaggio or SafeSeat)

We are looking at the Suburban/Yukon XL, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey. We are looking at 2007/2008/2009 models.

It would be great to have 3 kids in a third row and 2 in second row for easier access to the third row seat. I would like some storage in the back for double stroller, groceries, luggage, etc. We plan to take all carseats with us when we look in person, but right now I am trying to narrow our list down a little. My husband thinks I won't be able to find all of this in a normal vehicle and is pushing for an 8-person cargo van with captain's chairs. lol

Any info/advice you could provide would be very much appreciated.

ADS

Brendan's Mom

We have a 2005 sequoia and love it. I have had 3 in the third row, but that was a while ago and I don't remember what seats they were in at the time. We currently have the beast of a regent in our third row so it limits getting 3 across.

The only concern you might have with the sequoia is limited trunk space. I can fit my joovy stroller without a problem, but it takes up most if not all the trunk. I can't fit much else with the stroller. A suburban might be your best bet since it has a substanially larger trunk area. Good Luck

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would go with the Suburban/Yukon XL in your case. With the Armada you won't have much storage room with the third row in use full time. I also don't like the way they drive. They drive the exact same as my husband Titan did with the worst turning radius ever.
Some people like the cargo room in minivans but I hated mine. You have a deep well which is nice for a stroller but with other stuff in the back grocery shopping was always a pain because you have to load up and on top of what is already in the back.
With the 'Buban/Yukon XL you will have a lot of room in the back even with the third row up. If you get captains chairs and a 3 passenger third row you would have a great set up IMO. The 2008 Yukon XL actually had one more top tether in the third row than the Suburban does so if you end up putting more than one harnessed seat in the third row that is something to remember.
Just last week GM was doing employee pricing again and has had some killer discounts on their SUV's. We are seriously considering getting a Yukon XL Denali for myself and I have secured a price of $45,300 for one with NAV, DVD, 20" optional wheels, and the power folding running boards. Now is a wonderful time to buy a full sized GM SUV for sure!

erinnicolevan

I haven't looked at the Sequoias at all. I didn't think they were large enough. I will add them to my list. Thank you!

Do you think I will be able to fit 3 carseats across in the third row of the Suburban/Yukon XL? Any combination of the seats I already own - two Parkways/two Roundabouts?

Thank you!! :)

erinnicolevan

If we go with the Suburban/Yukon XL or even a mini-van with a third row bench, if I went with the Radian carseats, they should all fit, even if my Britax seats don't?

Sequoia got redesigned. It's HUGE now.

I prefer minivans from an efficiency standpoint (including gas mileage). Suburban/Yukon XL is gonna have way more luggage space than a minivan though if that's a concern.

J-max

CPST Instructor
We just replaced our 04 'burb with an 08 (couldn't beat the employee pricing through the end of the month!). the third seat is a bit narrower than the 04. I am not sure if you can get 3 harnessed seats across the back, maybe if they were radians?? I have a regent and a lbb in there and there is not room for another person to fit. I can fit 2 FF BLVDs and a very tiny person (my oldest with no booster) in there but it is very tight - she had to turn her shoulders sideways to get behind the shell of the blvd - *we did not go anywhere I just wanted to see if it could be done.

I can get any three britax seats (well, I have not tried 2 regents) in the middle row, and I routinely have 2 BLVD and a DC in there. Where I have my niece (DC), my older 2 go over the third seat from the cargo area to get in and out - might this be an option too?

Heather98012

My dh drives a 01 Sequoia (the first year they were out) & we still love it (aside from the mpg...which isn't bad at all for a ride of that size...but with gas prices, it's not great). The new Sequoias look great.

Add the GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse to your list. Also the Mercedes R class if you want a German auto. All have spacious 3rd rows & captains chairs in the second row (or bench if you want it) to make access easier to the 3rd row.

Melanie

The only thing I know of that will give you the cargo space is a Suburban or Yukon XL. Other SUV's just have a small space with the 3rd row up. Vans have that well so they have deep space, but stuff has to be stacked.

If those don't work or you decide you can do without a large cargo area, look at the 09 Honda Pilot too. The 08 & previous had a smaller cargo area. It has top tethers in all 6 2nd row & 3rd row seating spaces. LATCH in all 3 2nd row & 1 3rd row spot.

Last edited:

Wineaux

I'd go test drive the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Kia Sedona (long wheelbase), and the new VW Routan. A minivan will save you a small fortune in gas money, will have a better ride, and when you take out the seats, will usually carry as much cargo. If you need more storage room, get the towing package on the minivan and one of those cargo carriers that attaches to the trailer hitch.

erinnicolevan

Oh boy! After all of the suggestions from yesterday, I am now re-thinking my choices. LOL

I am now leaning towards the 8-passenger Sienna, even though my number one requirement in a vehicle is leather seats. It seems like I will be able to fit all of my carseats in this vehicle. Plus, the power sliding door option is so appealing to me. I am going to take my husband this weekend to look at the Sienna and Odyssey and hopefully make a decision. I have a few months to make the decision, so that takes some pressure off, but I am so amazed I am even considering a minivan. lol They just seem so gosh-darn-kid-friendly that I can't resist.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I know I will be back with more questions. :)

Heather98012

Ok, well if minivans are in the running, go look at either the Kia Sedona or the Hyundai Entourage (essentially the same vehicle). As of a year or so ago, they were rated the safest minivans on the market by both the NHTSA & IIHS. I test drove the Nissan Quest & the Hyundai Entourage & liked the Hyundai WAY better....& it was 12k less in price!

Seriously...you may be surprised at how nice the Hyundai is (I'm assuming Kia as well, but didn't drive it) & the safety ratings are very impressive.

erinnicolevan

I am hoping to stay under $37,000. I am not so excited about a Durango because I currently own a 2004. I am wanting something new/different if that makes any sense.

NannyMom

I really like my Toyota Sienna. A 3 across in the 3rd row would be difficult (impossible?) with your current seats. I had a Nautilus and TurboBooster in the 3rd row, and I might be able to squeeze a radian in there too. I can do 3 across in the 2nd row no problem :) But if you want to flip seats to access the 3rd row, you'd need a booster in the 2nd row.

Kat_Momof3

I am hoping to stay under $37,000. I am not so excited about a Durango because I currently own a 2004. I am wanting something new/different if that makes any sense.

oh I hear you... plus, the hybrid would be out of your budget.

I know the kia sedona and the other tested really well, but if it's a matter of wanting to fit kids across the back row, the next best option in my mind is the Toyota Sienna.

It has probably the widest back bench of any minvan and most suv's.

I've known people to get 3 across back there even with a Regent as one of the seats.

The Honda is narrower... maybe a little narrower than my poor Dodge van.

I would definitely go with the Toyota.

ali's mom

My dad has a new Sienna. We tried putting a Nautilus, Marathon and Parkway in the third row- impossible. Then we tried Nautilus, Roundabout & Parkway- still impossible. We ended up putting the Marathon in the middle captain chair and the parkway & Nautilus in the third row. With those two in the third row, I had to sit almost sideways between them- and I am small. We rode crammed into this mini van from our hotel to Disney for a week. NEVER AGAIN!!! I wish I would have talked Dad into driving my Suburban down since we flew and they picked us up. The only good thing I can say about it is it does have the best cargo room I have seen in a mini van.

I have an '05 Suburban. This is my second Suburban- I love them. I can get 3 seats across the third row. I usually keep all of my seats in the middle row unless I have more adults riding with me, then I put them in the third row. When the kids have friends over and all of the car seats are in the middle row, I just have them climb throught the cargo area to get to the third row instead of moving the car seats (they think that is the coolest thing). If you put the 2 parkways and a roundabout in the third row, and the roundabout & infant seat in the second row, you could leave the one outter seat open for access to the third row and room to hop in to buckle the kids if it is raining. We have had people in every seat of the Suburban (5 adults & 3 kids) and strollers in the cargo area and have NEVER felt like we were crammed in like we did in the Sienna.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC