We all need a hobby!!!

chelle80

Well thats what my FIL said!! Everytime he comes over i am on either on this site or another "preaching"(he says) about car seat safety. :D He says i spend to much time on here:confused: , gee, here i thought my kids safety was something to obsess over:rolleyes:

I thought it was funny, so i thought i would share!!! Figured y'all could use the laugh!

ADS

scatterbunny

I happen to think a hobby like trying to protect children from the leading cause of death for all children over age one is a wonderful hobby to have. At least it truly makes a difference. :)

arly1983

Well thats what my FIL said!! Everytime he comes over i am on either on this site or another "preaching"(he says) about car seat safety. :D He says i spend to much time on here:confused: , gee, here i thought my kids safety was something to obsess over:rolleyes:

I thought it was funny, so i thought i would share!!! Figured y'all could use the laugh!

Your FIL and my MIL should get together. Is he single. My MIL is. LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

"Honey, your kids are safe enough, get a new hobby"...the 'wise' words of my mother... :D:rolleyes:

chelle80

I happen to think a hobby like trying to protect children from the leading cause of death for all children over age one is a wonderful hobby to have. At least it truly makes a difference. :)

Thats what i thought too!!! Oh well at least hubby is on board with me, after all he is the one buying the car seats;) ! It is actually turning into an obsession with him too.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My family and friends think the same thing... I spend too much time worrying about this "stuff."

chelle80

Your FIL and my MIL should get together. Is he single. My MIL is. LOL

Sadly, he is taken, by a witch that is even worse than him about it. My favorite saying from her is "we didn't need car seats when my kids were little"!! and "if i had the money you have spent on car seats, i wouldn't have to work"!!!

southpawboston

"Honey, your kids are safe enough, get a new hobby"...the 'wise' words of my mother... :D:rolleyes:

not to play devil's advocate here, but she has a point. right now your kids are as safe as they can be due to your knowledge of the matter... hanging out here for hours a day isn't going to make them significantly safer, unless the paradigms as we know them suddenly shift and there is radically new safety info available.

but more importantly, if we are to be truly obsessed about our childrens' safety, our obsession should not be so narrowly focused on car seats, since carseats alone are not the be all and end all to a child's safety--they are but one piece of a large puzzle regarding a child's overall automotive safety. there are far broader subjects pertaining to automotive safety that few people here bother to venture into (sadly, for me), such as keeping up with routine safety inspections of their vehicles, knowing they have safe and effective tires inflated to the appropriate pressure (almost 50% of americans are driving on under-inflated or over-inflated tires!!! that is a major safety hazard!), knowing that your lights all work correctly, etc...

so to say that you are obsessed about your child's safety SHOULD imply that you are obsessed with ALL these things, not just carseats. carseats alone are but one safety device in a long list of items necessary for your child's safety.

JaRylan

not to play devil's advocate here, but she has a point. right now your kids are as safe as they can be due to your knowledge of the matter... hanging out here for hours a day isn't going to make them significantly safer, unless the paradigms as we know them suddenly shift and there is radically new safety info available.

but more importantly, if we are to be truly obsessed about our childrens' safety, our obsession should not be so narrowly focused on car seats, since carseats alone are not the be all and end all to a child's safety--they are but one piece of a large puzzle regarding a child's overall automotive safety. there are far broader subjects pertaining to automotive safety that few people here bother to venture into (sadly, for me), such as keeping up with routine safety inspections of their vehicles, knowing they have safe and effective tires inflated to the appropriate pressure (almost 50% of americans are driving on under-inflated or over-inflated tires!!! that is a major safety hazard!), knowing that your lights all work correctly, etc...

so to say that you are obsessed about your child's safety SHOULD imply that you are obsessed with ALL these things, not just carseats. carseats alone are but one safety device in a long list of items necessary for your child's safety.

Darn it! I had a post all typed up and it hasn't shown up. Maybe it will later. The gist of it was: anytime you want to start a thread on other car safety issues I will read.:)

canadianmom2three

Me too - I know there are tons of things I could be doing better, and not just with car safety either, although I must admit I am a bit of a nut when it comes to all things safety...:eek: DH just remarked last night that I was obsessing too much over sun protection (we are headed south in a week)...

arly1983

Me too - I know there are tons of things I could be doing better, and not just with car safety either, although I must admit I am a bit of a nut when it comes to all things safety...:eek: DH just remarked last night that I was obsessing too much over sun protection (we are headed south in a week)...

My DH says I drive him nuts. They can't enjoy the outdoors without mommy chasing them with sunblock or bug spray.

scatterbunny

I can't speak for anyone else, but I spend so much time here not to learn more to make MY child safer (because as you said, she's as safe as she can be), but to help make OTHER children safer. With statistics of 80%+ carseats being improperly used or not used at all, every bit of help I can give makes a difference. That is important to me, probably my #1 priority behind my family.

Point taken. Now go start some threads on these topics so we can all learn more! :p Just as most of us didn't know enough about carseats and boosters before coming here and learning, most of us won't know what we "need" to know about vehicle safety in general if someone with that info doesn't put it out there.

southpawboston

I can't speak for anyone else, but I spend so much time here not to learn more to make MY child safer (because as you said, she's as safe as she can be), but to help make OTHER children safer. With statistics of 80%+ carseats being improperly used or not used at all, every bit of help I can give makes a difference. That is important to me, probably my #1 priority behind my family.

good point!

Point taken. Now go start some threads on these topics so we can all learn more! :p Just as most of us didn't know enough about carseats and boosters before coming here and learning, most of us won't know what we "need" to know about vehicle safety in general if someone with that info doesn't put it out there.

sadly, when i was new here, i did, hopng to generate some interest, and the few threads i started peetered out rather quickly (lack of interest?). i realize this is a carseat forum first, and a automotive safety forum second, but you would think that there would be more categories of safety forums or subforums in addition to the main ones here (i mean, if they have a stroller swap forum, they could have some other peripheral safety forums, such as "keeping your car safe", or "safe driving tips"...that sort of idea).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ditto, Jenny. I'm motivated to be here to learn more and to help others who come here to keep their children safer traveling by car, because car travel is statistically the most dangerous thing most of us do on a daily basis. I owe my older DD's safely walking away from two car crashes unharmed to the many folks who volunteer their time and effort on this forum and several other carseat boards. I like to think I'm returning the favor and paying it forward.

Southpaw, why not channel your knowledge of tires/handling/safer driving/selecting car safety features, etc. into writing up a great article for the Safety Articles forum? Share your vehicle safety knowledge for everyone's benefit here. :)

JaRylan

good point!

sadly, when i was new here, i did, hopng to generate some interest, and the few threads i started peetered out rather quickly (lack of interest?). i realize this is a carseat forum first, and a automotive safety forum second, but you would think that there would be more categories of safety forums or subforums in addition to the main ones here (i mean, if they have a stroller swap forum, they could have some other peripheral safety forums, such as "keeping your car safe", or "safe driving tips"...that sort of idea).

Sounds good to me! Until there is a forum (hint, hint) could you post "SouthPaw's Tip of the Week" or something?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC