WANTED advice

susieq1202

My DS is 5 yrs old, 46 inches and 47 lbs... We currently have the True Fit which he is quickly growing out of. I'm looking for the next best thing... Don't like the nautilus because of the headrest... The frontier is a little pricey.... Was thinking about the Monterey? Any advice or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

jacqui276

If you are wanting to keep him harnessed, the Frontier is probably the only one worthwhile buying, as it would give you an extra 2 inches of harness height.
If you feel that he is ready to be boostered (which by 5, lots of kids are), I haven't personally used a Monterey, but others seem to like it. If you can go to a store and try it out in your car and see how your DS fits in it, that would be ideal. Some boosters work great for some kids and not so great for others.

tam_shops

Love the Monterey as a booster, IF you have head rests and as long as you check the belt fit on the child before you buy it.

Love our Frontier, though a beast of a seat.

Only other option is the Maestro/Securekid, but Maestro has harness to 47#, so no point. If you look at the Securekid, then make sure that you check the harness fit, lots of complaints about it rubbing kids necks. And, know that as a booster, it's a bit of a pain. So, a lot of money to spend for a short use, unless you're handing it down to someone else b/c a younger sibling is going to need it anyway.

tam

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Have you tried your child in the Nautilus in your vehicle? It seems to cause issues for some, and not at all for others.

But if you think your child is booster ready -- able to remain in position at all times, even when sleeping -- then it's a very reasonable option. Boosters are much harder to fit than harnessed seats though, as the fit varies so much from car to car and kid to kid. Definitely go and try some out. The Graco Turbobooster is a great one, and the Britax Parkway too. If you're ready for this option more info about torso height, the vehicle you drive, and what features you'd want in a booster would be helpful.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My 6 year old is the same height/weight as your DS and I'm pretty sure she's outgrown or very close to outgrowing the harness in the Nautilus. She uses it in booster mode and it fits her awesome. Just saying if you're looking for a harnessed seat, try him in it first to see how much room he has left. He might be okay if he's short torsoed.

And I see now I misread and you are NOT considering the Nautilus. LOL

Last edited:

susieq1202

I guess Im Gonna have to measure his torso.... Really no one ever tells you how complicated choosing a car seat can be..... To keep him harnessed my only option is the frontier which is way out of my price point.... Not a fan of the nautilus because of the headrest and their heads falling forward.... And the maestro though he said was comfortable, to me the seat didn't seem long enough.

I drive a routan. Which is exactly the same as the caravan.

bbartlettnfld

I find the Monteray to be a better fit on short hefty kids. You DS seems like he is pretty small. My newly 5 yr old DS is 65lbs and fits great in the monteray. Though he's not the best at sitting still in it when his sister in sitting next to him. Lots of reminders to stay in position.

DD had the Monteray first she is petite and very slim, the fit wasn't the greatest. Lots of side to side space for her to move around in. The Britax Parkway SG fits her much better. She is 9 and maybe 70lbs.

BethAnn

MommyShannon

My dd was newly 6, 48" and 48lbs when she outgrew the nauti harness so definitely check his torso. I didn't like the head slump either but two of my kids used them for years and like them. We have Frontiers now which they prefer but not significantly. The nauti works great as a booster for dd too. I like that you can use LATCH in booster mode with it. She mostly uses a turbo booster, Parkway sgl, or FR85 harnessed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC