Wanna read my funny (sad) story?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Congrats, and good job showing the salespersons about their products! Maybe we should all go vehicle shopping/test driving, with the ulterior motive of informing salespersons about the child restraint related features of their products. :whistle:

You mean other people don't do this? Ever wonder how I got to test the Radian in so many new vehicles? Those guys have learned a lot from me this past year. :D

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LOL I definitely do when we're seriously in the market for a new vehicle, but now I'm thinking of making it more of a mission. ;)

skaterbabs

GM vehicles also have locking latchplates, depending on make model and year. I *love* them for car seat installs (and have NEVER had one work loose), but switchable retractors are good for training boostered kids.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
GM vehicles also have locking latchplates, depending on make model and year. I *love* them for car seat installs (and have NEVER had one work loose), but switchable retractors are good for training boostered kids.

I have only had the lightweight locking latch plate work it way loose.(DH and DS's think thatit is ok to try to jam a bunch of stuff into the cab withe the car seat and I think this ishow it gets loose) Never a lap only belt with a locking latchplate get loose on me.

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
I much prefer the locking latchplates, lightweight included. Probably because that's what I have in my vehicles and what i learned on. I've never had them come loose either. I hate installing DS's seats in my moms or sisters car with ALR. Seems like it takes me longer to get it "just right". That has a lot to do with the fact DS's seats are rearfacing and it's tricky to get them tight without tilting too much.

oxeye

I prefer lightweight locking latchplates as well. Can't beat them for a RF seatbelt install - no locking clip needed!

My car (chrysler) has LLL and DH's car (VW) has a switchable retractor. I've had lots of practice with both and I definitely prefer LLL.

Brendan's Mom

When we were car shopping two years ago I took two carseats with me. When I started installing them I thought salespeople were going to fall over. Several told me they never had seen someone bring carseats to a dealership.

I was looking at an SUV at Lexus and when I got the carseat out he had the nerve to tell me I should be looking for a minivan.....he definately lost a sale (not that I liked the car). Would you ever buy a car without making sure the carseats fit??

littleangelfire

Would you ever buy a car without making sure the carseats fit??

That would depend upon my situation. If I could afford to replace the seats, and knew the car I wanted, I might not. In my current situation, I definitely would take Dylan's Regent, since it doesn't fit right in all vehicles and there is no other seat left that's going to fit him until he's 5 years old, which I consider booster age for him. That and I have no way to replace a seat for him...which is also why I have no way to replace my 2 door tiny car. LOL

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Count me into the much prefer LLL crowd. :cool:

My dad just got a new GMC 1 ton pick-up and the middle seatbelt in the back seat is a lap/shoulder switchable retractor with a locking latch plate. SWEET! (The buckle stalks are all quite short and close to the seat bite too - I think the truck is very carseat friendly just based on looking at it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC