Question Very tall 2-year-old's car seat trouble - need advice A.S.A.P.!

S

sarah

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, need answers/advice stat! You can respond here or e-mail me, whichever you prefer. Just need some advice.

I don't really know who to talk to!

I live in Kentucky where car seat laws were recently changed. You now have to have them in an infant seat until AT LEAST 20 pounds *AND* AT LEAST 1 year old, then move up to a toddler seat of some kind forward-facing until AT LEAST 40 pounds *AND* AT LEAST 4 years old, then lastly, you purchase a booster seat for them from 4 years and 40 pounds up until the child reaches 65 pounds, whatever age that may be. It's mandatory. They're talking about possibly trying to make it a law that you have to keep them rear-facing until at least 30 pounds somehow but that's just the talk in the newspapers and nobody's done anything about it yet.

Anyway, here's the problem: My oldest child is 2 and a half years old, weighs 32 pounds, and is 38 inches tall. He's a little big for his age, in height. His little toddler car seat will just NOT work for him any longer! The weight limit is supposed to be 40 pounds but the height limit is 38 inches, exactly how tall he is now.

What should I do? The pediatrician had no advice other than to "find him a bigger toddler seat", because we can't put him in a booster or anything like that for another year and a half, but I'm afraid his tiny toddler seat is growing dangerous.

It's just the unimpressive generic Wal-Mart car seat, with a "bar" that flips over the head with the clip to lock in place. He's at the very last strap adjustment but we still have a lot of trouble clipping him in and he screams the whole time we're doing it, and then he's so big he can "rock" himself side to side in the car and even though the belt tightens to prevent a total flip over, I'm afraid he'll get seriously hurt one day.

Are there any bigger toddler seats out there? I thought they all were at this height/weight limit - 38 inches or so, 40 pounds. :shrug-shoulders:

What do I do for him? I'm terrified about his safety now! Please help!

ADS

mommaon112903

There are numerous seats on the market that allow for harnessing past 40lbs :) They all come in varying prices as well yet the most affordable and longest lasting will be the Graco Nautilus (GN). It will harness to 65lbs with top harness slots approx 18", which means that a child should make it to around age five-at least in the harness. You can find the GN at Wal-Mart.com cheaper, usually, than in store. It is a very easy seat to install, always a plus! It also converts into a booster, when the time is right, for some children the booster is a great fit, others not so great. You will just have to cross that bridge when he outgrows the harness ;)

Your son is way too young to be in a booster, as he does not have the maturity to use it properly each and every time. He will need to be able to sit without moving around, playing with the seat belt, etc. When a child moves into a booster they are literally responsible for their lives. Not something a two, three, four, sometimes older child is ready for.

He is also too light-weight to be in a booster. Yes, even though some have a 30lbs minimum on them, the chance of submarining (the child going under the seatbelt in an accident) is just too great until they are 40lbs+. Small children have died from being in a booster at this weight :(

The height is just a guideline and the carseat will be outgrown when his shoulders go above the top slot, tips of the ears are above the shell of the seat or of course he maxes out the weight limit.

It also sounds like your install is not as solid as it should be. Have you taken your carseats to a local carseat tech? If not it is highly suggested.

Last edited:

cookie123

Luckily there are some great seats that harness to 65 or 80 lbs. What vehicle do you drive? Is your son rear or forward facing.

If forward facing the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier will harness him to 65 lbs or 80 lbs respectively. They also become boosters when the harness is outgrown (Weight limit is met, tips of ears go above the top slots, or shoulders go above the top harness slot - harness must be at or above the shoulders for forward facing)

He could also rear face, which is 5x safer for any child that fits in a rear facing child seat. For your ds, that would be only the Graco My Ride, which rear faces to 40 lbs and harnesses to 65 lbs.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree on the Nautilus for a forward facing child. It has 18.5" top slots, not 17", though. Piper has a 17.5" torso with much room to go on her Nautilus harnessed. So it'll last your son a LOT longer.

The laws are a bare minimum. I wouldn't go by them unless you're trying to convince a person to stay in a seat to the minimums and not beyond.

Actually at two years old and 32 pounds by his weight he could rear face. At 38 inches it depends on if his torso is too long and he's outgrown seats rear facing by height. But rather than talk about him in a booster, a rear facing seat is also an option for you. If you're going to stay with him forward facing then I'd go for a Nautilus. Rear facing I'd look at the Graco My Ride and the Learning Curve True Fit. The My Ride has a 40 pound rear facing limit and the True Fit has a 35 pound rear facing limit, but a very very tall shell.

I would also recommend you take your seat to be inspected by a technician. It sounds like you've got some installation issues going on. A car seat technician can make sure that you've got everything done properly, and they should teach you how to do it yourself as well.

We have two technicians here who would be willing to meet with you in Kentucky, if they're near to you.

occasionally Louisville, KY (especially with notice)
Katie
(munchkin)
Technician since 2009

Kentucky- Northern
Angela
(aaminnky)
Technician since 2009

Or check out: http://www.cruisinwithkids.com/KentuckyChildandInfantCarSeatSafetyInspectionStations.html

HTH

Wendy

Qarin

Very few forward-facing seats have a stated height limit of 38"- how old is your seat? My 42" tall 4.5yo just outgrew the Cosco Scenera, by weight and height at the same time.

Regardless, I, too, recommend the Graco Nautilus if you choose to keep your son forward-facing. It should keep him safely harnessed until he is very ready to use it as a belt-positioning booster, at age 5-6.

skylinphoto

First, kudos to you for trying to do the best for your son. You sound very concerned about keeping him safe. :thumbsup:

Second, over the head shield seats are not all that safe. And your install doesn't sound very good.

The Graco Nautilus sounds perfect for your situation if you want him forward facing. If you want him rearfacing, the First Years True Fit is a great choice because it has a tall shell.

Remember that your states laws are the bare minimums. Exceeding those minimums (rearfacing as long as possible, harnessing until the child is mature enough to be in a booster, etc) is best. :)

Jennee

your son is the exact same size as mine. mine will be 3 in sept. we just bought the graco nautilus after getting great reviews on it here. thats the one id recommend too.

romanoma

Welcome!! My son is just over 3, 31lbs and 39.5 inches tall. He usually rides rear-facing in my car in a car seat with a tall shell since he is so tall. In grandmas car he rides in the graco nautilus forward facing. He is very comfy in both seats. I think you have options that are not too expensive whether you decide to RF or FF.

Can you imagine that typical 2 yr old tantrum you described in your post with a child in a booster? :eek: :eek: Scary indeed, that is why you will hear us mention kids reaching a certain maturity level before being ready for a booster, not any magic age or weight. I don't know any 2 or 3 yr old who is ready. Good for you for wanting to keep him safely harnessed for years to come!!

You are in the right place to learn so keep hanging out here and ask lots of questions!! You will learn more than you ever thought you could about car seat safety :D

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm so happy that you are looking to keep your child safe in the car. The previous posters have given you some great advice.
Kentucky- Northern
Angela
(aaminnky)
Technician since 2009

That's me... And I would be happy to try to meet up with you. I live in NKY, but have family in several other parts of the state that we visit often. PM me with your location if you would like to meet up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC