Using a U.S. carseat in a London taxi? Is it illegal? Seatbelt install?

I am hearing different feedback on this. I want to take a seat from the USA to use in the taxi or really any vehicle we ride in while there. Is this illegal? And Would it install just the same as seatbelt install in the States?

ADS

AustinMusic

It is fine for travelling to use seat from out of country. It's just if you were moving there you would have to get a European seat.

This is correct. I would however be aware of a few of things if using London taxis (I make the assumption you are referring to "black cabs" so do correct me if this is not what you mean!!)

In general, cabbies are famous for their london spirit and chit-chat and are very friendly. Equally, however they are interested in efficiency and profit and although they should allow it, don't bank on actually being able to find the time to install the seat correctly. They will most likely want to get moving and the time you spend installing the seat, you will pay for.

Second black cabs are a VERY expensive form of transport and if you are concerned about getting to a hotel from the airport, be it Heathrow, Gatwick or London City, I strongly recommend using the tube or the DLR. It will be much cheaper.

Thirdly be aware, you may require a locking clip as European vehicles are rarely fitted with locking retracting seatbelts. London Taxi's I'm sure are not.

I don't mean to put you off the idea of using one, they are very good, just be aware it might be a bit rushed and a little more complicated than you may have anticipated as well as costly.

Using the seat in other vehicles is the same as anywhere I guess, again making provision for possible use of a locking clip.

If you need to do travel planning for London, I suggest visiting www.tfl.gov.uk. Also see this post from a while ago. It still very much applies!

I hope this helps and enjoy London!:)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I totally agree with the above. If you do decide to take a cab, you could request something that might be easier to install in. We had a Mercedes the one time we didn't take the tube. I highly recommend London transit, however--just make sure you baby wear or have a super lightweight stroller (eg. Maclaren Volo) because many of the tube stations do not have methods by which to get to the platform other than stairs. It's also not unusual for people to arrive at the airport and take their suitcases on transit--you'll see this in various areas of the city--so don't hesitate to hop the tube straight off the plane. It can be tough getting up and down the stairs, but you'll manage. The big coach buses are also very popular for to and from the airports, and they're quite comfy but obviously do not have seatbelts.

Once you get used to transfers, the London underground is an empowering system for visitors!

-N.

sailingdaddy

It is fine for travelling to use seat from out of country.

No it's not in Europe. Please stop repeating this misinformation.

While it's unlikely that anyone will be checked, and even more unlikely that anyone will be fined for it, the FACT is that there are no exceptions in the law.

BR /Marcus

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
At risk of sounding ignorant..

Although the UK is technically part of continental Europe and the EU, I was under the impression that the UK does not consider itself to be "Europe" in the political sense? They have their own independent laws, structure, and climate. They have their own currency. They drive on a different side of the road. Could their carseat laws differ, as well?

I've never looked into the UK's carseat laws for visitors, but it seems to me that if the UK differs so much from the rest of Europe the potential exists that there's a difference here, as well. I cannot recall if there has been a specific law cited for visitors and carseat use, but it would be interesting to document if someone has the time and motivation to do so.

-N.

AustinMusic

I cannot recall if there has been a specific law cited for visitors and carseat use, but it would be interesting to document if someone has the time and motivation to do so.

I cannot promise any 'instant' answers, however I will do my best to find out.

Thank you all so much! This information is so helpful. I appreciate it all. Requesting a seat there seems like a great alternative. My second concern was to get my seat to England since Virgin doesn't allow the seat to be used on the plane it would have to be checked. I have heard a checked seat is considered crashed, is this true?

Adventuredad

It is fine for travelling to use seat from out of country. It's just if you were moving there you would have to get a European seat.

This is not correct. . It's illegal to use a non ECE R44 (European standard) certified car seat in Europe. Doesn't matter if it's for a day as a visitor or as a long term resident. Exceptions apply for military staff and possibly diplomats. There are no exceptions for tourists etc.

In general I think it's great for parents to bring car seats when traveling. Even though it would technically be illegal in this case. It means someone is thinking ahead about what's highest risk during a trip which is transportation in a car.

gigi

EU laws are applicable in the UK. They are not part of the Euro, but the UK its a signatory to the treaties covering laws like carseat usage (and pretty much everything other than monetary union).

It is illegal and impractical to use a taxi in london (EXPENSIVE too). You will not get a ticket most likely but there is little to no ERF and taxis will not be amenable to use (no ISOFIX or tethers, no locking belts, hurried drivers etc). Greater London has amazing public transport. Use it and leave the car seat at home :)

FrauDrA

When I lived in London (as a poor grad student :cool:) and when we visited when our first was 10 months old, I used this minicab service: http://www.justairports.com/. When we went with a baby, they provided a carseat. There were problems, however: the drivers we had were inexperienced with the carseats (one restraint was still in the box!) so installation was very difficult; and under European law, babies can FF from 9 months (which is why, for the 6 months we lived in Germany, we illegally used our Canadian carseats!).

Anyway, if you absolutely need a cab into central London, this option is cheaper than a black cab, but requires advanced booking. You can still decide to use your own carseat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC