truefit hurting her....?

mamoomorgan

So my dd#4 rides rf in a TF, she's 2.5yo (turning 3 in Oct.).
She HATES the car. She screams, cries and complains almost every time we go anywhere, even for a 10 minute drive. It's not because she's rf I'm sure (though it bugs her if we comment on something she can't see) but I'm thinking it might be the seat.
we were on a long-ish drive and she was wailing endlessly so we stopped and got her out and pulled down her panties, her bum was bright red, like she'd been spanked (which of course she hadn't been!). Recently we went to the beach and when we got there and she took off her clothes her bum looked the same. I'm worried there's not enough padding or something.
Has anyone else had this? She also hates the big tag on the lower back, if her shirt rides up at all she freaks and says it hurts her skin.
She's a skinny girl so has no extra fat on her bum and never wears diapers, if that makes a difference.
i really don't want to get her another carseat but I feel terrible thinking that she may be in pain (or maybe she's just being a pain, lol).
Tha only thing I think to do is put her ff in her sisters MA and see if that helps, but I really want to rf her until she's 3 at least.

ideas?

sorry to write a novella....

ADS
U

Unregistered

Hi,
What cover do you have? At first we bought the Misty morning and my dd (4 at the time) cried and complained about being hot whenever she was in it even when the van had been parked in the garage and it wasn't overly hot out. So after discussing it with some fellow posters on here we returned it and bought the Aurora from BRU and the complaining stopped. The Misty Morning is plush velour type fabric all over and the Aurora is partially plush but the inside seat part is a slicker satiny type fabric. Just a thought but if you have the plush all over fabric it could be the fabric irritating her. The seat in mine (the Aurora) seems fully padded and comfy too me compared to some other seats we have had in the past. Good luck!

Jen

mamoomorgan

Thanks Jen, it's possible the fabric is playing a part (I think we have misty morning), does the aurora have the big label at the lower back? Unfortunately we can't return the seat to Zellers (we've had it for almost a year) and I don't know that the fabric would hurt her bottom the way it seems to be.

I wonder if we can get a new cover, just in case that would help....

Thanks again,

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think that LC does sell replacement covers. I'm not sure what the cost is on them though.

Has she been having this problem since you got the seat or is it a new one? I wonder if changing the recline angle might help slightly if it's something to do with how she's sitting?

We have the Aurora cover and haven't had any problems. I'd wonder if it was a specific reaction to the fabric, but it doesn't sound like the rest of her skin is having a problem.

What about handwashing the cover and see if that helps? If there is something in the cover itself maybe that would solve the problem?

eta: The Aurora does have the tag... Does her shirt typically ride up when she's in the seat, or does making sure it's pulled down behind her when you put her in prevent it?

canadiangie

I'd be temped to put a cloth diaper on her (explain to her why) and see if her bum is still red after a drive. ?

FWIW, my 3y/o who has zero fat on her bum (can still wear 6-9mos clothing her bum is so little) and hasn't had an issue in her TF and she's quite, um, vocal about things that bother her. :rolleyes:

Probably no help, but wanted to post anyway... I was thinking of you the other day (heard a kid named Sage and thought of your Sage) and was wondering how you've been. :)

mamoomorgan

Thanks for the responses.

Angie, is your dd still rf?
I could try the cloth diaper thing (though I no longer have any) for a long trip but I know she'd protest for a short one.

LOL about the 6-9mo bum size! We had Enna (our 4yo) at the hospital for a check up for her clubfoot and she was wearing pants, they wanted her in shorts so they put a cast on her and when the nurse pulled out sz. 4 shorts they looked like they'd fit my 10yo! I asked for something smaller and all he had were some sized 3-6mo. they fir perfectly (and she still wears them). They don't get it from me!

As for the recline, I'm not sure what it is and to be honest it's what it's at to puzzle with the ff MA right next to it. I could try to change it though, do you think more reclined or less would help? I would think more would take the weight off her bum, then again more upright might transfer some weight to her legs....hmmmm.

Snowbird,
I'm pretty sure it's not the actual fabric causing a problem now that I think about it, she doesn't have a rash from it all. Pulling her shirt down does help with the tag issue but on longer car rides it tends to ride up a bit. I'm starting to think that maybe she just doesn't like being restrained, LOL.

hanks again ladies!

canadiangie

Thanks for the responses.

Angie, is your dd still rf?
I could try the cloth diaper thing (though I no longer have any) for a long trip but I know she'd protest for a short one.

LOL about the 6-9mo bum size! We had Enna (our 4yo) at the hospital for a check up for her clubfoot and she was wearing pants, they wanted her in shorts so they put a cast on her and when the nurse pulled out sz. 4 shorts they looked like they'd fit my 10yo! I asked for something smaller and all he had were some sized 3-6mo. they fir perfectly (and she still wears them). They don't get it from me!

As for the recline, I'm not sure what it is and to be honest it's what it's at to puzzle with the ff MA right next to it. I could try to change it though, do you think more reclined or less would help? I would think more would take the weight off her bum, then again more upright might transfer some weight to her legs....hmmmm.

Snowbird,
I'm pretty sure it's not the actual fabric causing a problem now that I think about it, she doesn't have a rash from it all. Pulling her shirt down does help with the tag issue but on longer car rides it tends to ride up a bit. I'm starting to think that maybe she just doesn't like being restrained, LOL.

hanks again ladies!

Yep, still rear facing.

Maybe adjust the angle to be slightly more reclined to take some pressure off her bum? In terms of her back, I"m not sure, but with fall just around the corner she'll be wearing hoodies and pullovers soon (or whatever you lucky BC folks get to wear in the winter :p) and maybe that will help?

Canadiangirl411

haha you girls talking about winter .. Calgary is DAMN cold in the winter .. I used to live there and miss it terribly .. it's a dry cold ... Ontario isnt soooo bad .. but it's damp, it sucks!

My son HATES it TOO!!!
He IS diapered but is coming out with the red bum on occasion too...and SWEATY!?!?:thumbsdown:I just wrote learning curve to see if there were more OPTIONS for a COVER...will let you know if you want??
Julie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC