Totally confused about my car seat expiration date.

PrairieGirl

I have a Graco Snugride that was made in April of 2004. On the seat it is stamped not to use it after Dec 2010.

I bought this seat in 2007 from Costco and assumed that I was getting a new seat, I didn't think to check the date on it. (Now after coming to this forum I know better).

I sent an email to Costco to express my disappointment in my purchase, and they replied with a link to TC, (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/TP14563C/2007c10/menu.htm) and saying that I still had 6 years of useful life in the seat. "Graco Children's Products suggests a Useful Life Length of 6 years.  Since you purchased a brand new infant car seat that was not previously used, you still get 6 years worth of useful life."

I wanted to confirm that this was right so I emailed Graco and they said that it was. I asked about the expiry date stamped on the seat and they replied "The expiry date is really to discourage second hand usage, so that someone will not unknowingly purchase a car seat that had previously been in an accident."

This information doesn't seem the same as other things that I've read here on the forums. So I am confused. But DH says I've got my answer from Graco and therefore the expiry date is not a big deal. ??

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's a first for me.

When I bought my Snugride, I got a seat with a DOM that was over a year old. I also called Graco and was told I had to go by the DOM, not by when I bought it. It sounds like they are giving you different advice. :confused:

I would call back and try to talk to someone else to see if you get the same answer.

I have always heard and been taught that you go by the DOM, not by when you buy the seat, so I am shocked that Graco told you what they did. :eek:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I always tell people to go by DOM, since we have a few justifications for seat expiry--not just crashes. One of the biggest reasons why seats should expire is that technologies are constantly advancing and the seats today are not the same as seats 6 years ago, in many cases...there are some exceptions--some seats today haven't changed, but for the most part they have been upgraded and updated.

If you're concerned, please request that Graco put what they said in writing. If the seat has a 5-point harness, Graco has advised you to continue to use it, and it has a known history then I suppose you'll either have to be good with that, or opt to replace it upon stamped expiry anyways.

-Nicole.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
FYI - when Transport Canada wrote the Recommended Useful Life notice, all the companies had input. I would say that the person on the other end of the phone from Graco didn't check their "cheat sheet". Unless you kept your bill, there is no way to prove when you purchased the seat. Go by the DOM - that's what all the companies have agreed on.

Now if I'm wrong - let me know and I'll let Transport know and they will adjust the notice!!

PrairieGirl

Just wanted to put an update here. I called to Graco/Elfe and got a different person on the phone. She said to go by the DOM and was not sure why I was given different information earlier. However, she said that according to Transport Canada, I could use the seat for 10 years. I thought that the 10 year rule was only for seats that had no actual expiry date on them. Anyways, she did not seem at all concerned that I was given the wrong information earlier, and didn't seem concerned that Costco was telling me that I could use the seat 6 years from when I bought it, regardless of the expiration date. I forwarded the emails to her that were sent from Graco earlier, and she never got back to me.

Overall, I am unhappy with the customer service at both Graco and at Costco and I would probably avoid buying their products in the future.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Hi there - the notification that was published in December 2007 from Transport Canada supercedes all other publications - including the 10 year rule. This was published as all the manufacturers have an "expiry" date and do not normally support older seats. All manufacturers of CRS's and booster cusions state how long the seat can be used and that retro-dates the odler seats that do not have a date stamped on the seat or noted in the instruction manual. Obviously the importer of Graco has either not been informed by the manufacturer or have chosen not to update their staff. Play it safe and use the recommended useful life guidline and don't take the word of the person on the 1-800 line unless you get it in writing!

hipmaman

Play it safe and use the recommended useful life guidline and don't take the word of the person on the 1-800 line unless you get it in writing!

:yeahthat:

Allport, will there be an update to this list with the addition of the Frontier (9yrs)?

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Hey there - yes, as soon as I get a few minutes! It's on my list, but I've been trying to get the test program up and running as we don't have anyone in compliance right now so I'm helping out. I'm off next week, I can probably get it done then!

QuassEE

Tam--we all like to bug her about the same stuff, apparently :) At least she knows we're reading TC documentation!

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC