To turn or not turn, that is the question...

K's Mama

I'm starting to get frustrated with having DD RF'ing, and am considering turning her. It is a PITA to try and adjust the straps on her TF if she is wearing different clothing, and I have a very hard time getting them tight enough. She is more than old enough to turn - just turned 4, and she's sitting right around 30lbs. Would you just go ahead and turn her at this point, or keep her RF'ing until she hits 35lbs? She *really* wants to go FF'ing - we've said for a long time that she'd have to stay RF'ing until she was 4, and now she asks daily when she gets to sit forward. Most of the kids in her pre-K class are in boosters or just plain seat belts and she is starting to question why she is still RF'ing.

I am so torn on this issue. I know that she should be fine FF'ing now, but that mother bear part of me would like to keep her RF'ing forever...

ADS

swtgi1982

I'm starting to get frustrated with having DD RF'ing, and am considering turning her. It is a PITA to try and adjust the straps on her TF if she is wearing different clothing, and I have a very hard time getting them tight enough. She is more than old enough to turn - just turned 4, and she's sitting right around 30lbs. Would you just go ahead and turn her at this point, or keep her RF'ing until she hits 35lbs? She *really* wants to go FF'ing - we've said for a long time that she'd have to stay RF'ing until she was 4, and now she asks daily when she gets to sit forward. Most of the kids in her pre-K class are in boosters or just plain seat belts and she is starting to question why she is still RF'ing.

I am so torn on this issue. I know that she should be fine FF'ing now, but that mother bear part of me would like to keep her RF'ing forever...

I hear you there, my DD will be 4 in two days and contemplating turning her as well (with new FF seat) and passing her 40lb RF seat to her younger brother or whether to just get DS1 a 40lb RF seat as well.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd turn her ff'ing. My dd rode rf'ing briefly around her 4th birthday when the TF first became available in Canada. I knew from the time I turned her that if she asked to be ff'ing, I would turn her ff'ing again right away.

Kids deserve to have some say in how they are restrained in the car (within reason,) and asking to ff at age 4 is absolutely within reason IMO. If she was asking to just sit in the seatbelt, I'd absolutely take a hard stance... but going ff'ing at her age is reasonable.

FWIW, my ds is in seats with 40lb rf'ing limits and he was barely 30lbs last time I weighed him. I have no intention of rf'ing him to the limits of his seats - he's already over 3yrs old and in at least 1 vehicle he'll be ff'ing come spring. Yes, it's a scary step to make. But they are safe ff'ing at this age - and with a child asking to ff, I'd just do it.

canadiangie

OP,

I will be in the same boat in June. Sophie begs to ff all of the time, and I've told her that once she's 4 we can talk about it. She's also in love with the 'butterfly seat' (Mariposa Nautilus) and thinks that it is what she gets when she's 4. :p

I have no idea what I'm going to do, but at just barely 30lbs now she won't be rf'ing to the limit of any of her seats. 35lbs for her will be well into her 5th year of life. It's going to come down to her age...

No help I'm sure, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone. :eek:

ntrenary

Wow, that's great that you were able to RF for that long! I really hope my 2 1/2y son makes it to 4 before I have to turn him. His torso is so long, he only has about 2" left above his head in his RA 50. I'm crossing my fingers that just his legs grow and his torso stays the same for at least another year.

Adventuredad

You have done a great job staying RF for so long. I agree with Snowbird about listening to your kids about their needs. Some things are open for discussion while others aren't:whistle:

RF for a child of any age is far safer than FF but the most crucial stage are the first few years so turning FF sounds like a good idea for you.

My son is 6 and FF while my daughter is 3.5 and RF. She would love to sit FF together with her brother but actually don't ask often about it. I guess I've brainwashed her...:) Another year or so and we'll turn....

Kat_Shoshin

As for the strap tightening, it is much easier RFing because you can reach around to the splitter plate and push down while you pull at the front.

My son is almost 3. He has been occasionally FFing now and again to accommodate a smaller child in his seat (we have a home daycare and 3 across in a small car). Also, he is FF in his grandfather's car because I bought the seat for them (EF chase) before I knew better - and when he 27lbs at 7 months and 30lbs was the weight limit that was available at the time - so I didn't feel I had a choice and went with something that would keep this gigantic kid harnessed until 47lbs at least. He slowed down considerably since and weighs only 32lbs now. :rolleyes:

At 4, if he was asking, I would turn him.

K's Mama

'kay - thanks. That's what I needed to hear I guess - ack - it's still so hard... But, she was over the moon when I told her we'd flip her on Saturday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC