Tired of Seeing HORRIBLE car seat pics on facebook!

charissa

I still can't get over how many horrible car seat pics I see on facebook!!! What to do????

I saw one today of a precious little girl, not even 2, forward facing in a poorly installed seat, with ONLY the chest clip fastened and it wasn't even tight--half way down her arms. *sigh* I know there's nothing I can do, it's not my business. But it makes me sad. This is a repeat offender and I did say something the first time (when pic was FF under 12 months!).

Just needed to vent.

With all these horrible pics I've seen it makes me wonder if there's a website to post pics of bad installs!

ADS

Baylor

I am SOOO with you. I do mention to my family members when I see them. I will send them a message and a link to the carseat.org facebook page.

It is so scary to me. I always start with,," Would you mind if I share something I learned with you???"
Most times they are thrilled to get the right info or the link to it!

robbertbobbert

I agree!

I noticed a FB picture of my friend's baby (I think he's 11 months?) FF with only the crotch buckle done, the straps were off his shoulders and he had his arms out. I said something about it (I thought it was pretty nice and nonconfrontational..), she said she'd find a tech and ask. She didn't.

They got in an accident (she's also pregnant again, btw). The baby was hurt. It wasn't very severe, but he was in the hospital for two days. From what I gather, his upper body came out of the seat completely and his feet (not legs) were being held in by the leg strap area.

Of course she's completely FLABBERGASTED as to how he could've been hurt because, you know, he was "in a car seat."

hrice

I agree!

I noticed a FB picture of my friend's baby (I think he's 11 months?) FF with only the crotch buckle done, the straps were off his shoulders and he had his arms out. I said something about it (I thought it was pretty nice and nonconfrontational..), she said she'd find a tech and ask. She didn't.

They got in an accident (she's also pregnant again, btw). The baby was hurt. It wasn't very severe, but he was in the hospital for two days. From what I gather, his upper body came out of the seat completely and his feet (not legs) were being held in by the leg strap area.

Of course she's completely FLABBERGASTED as to how he could've been hurt because, you know, he was "in a car seat."

Wow they are so lucky! Hopefully she will learn from that experience and use the (new?) seat properly now!

Baylor

I agree!

That is sad. I hope they do get help now.. Glad baby is okay.

Kobain's Mommy

I usually send a message about how cute their child is and other small talk then point out they may want to check into their seat. They usually ignore it or I get the "Oh we were in the house, the seat was just in the stroller (infant seats), or I just put them in the car I usually fix it before we take off."

katiesmommy

Ugh I hate it too. In the past week I've had 2 of my fb friends post pics of their less then 1 year olds forward facing.

raider23

I feel you. I wish there was a way to report it.

The other day I saw a pic of a baby (she's 10 or 11 months old and was FF at 6 months). She was in here seat with LOOSE/twisted straps and the chest clip wasn't hooked. UGH.

Keeanh

I don't really do facebook, but is there a way you can "respond" with a pic of your own? Like when they have a 1yo FF, can you make sure they see your pic of your 2yo RF? Then at least it might open a conversation when they say something about YOU being the weirdo...

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I don't really do facebook, but is there a way you can "respond" with a pic of your own? Like when they have a 1yo FF, can you make sure they see your pic of your 2yo RF? Then at least it might open a conversation when they say something about YOU being the weirdo...

No :thumbsdown: You can only comment or post links... Not that even that would help...

My bestest friend in the whole world ihas HORRIBLE car seat use. I finally convinced her that her 7y.o. needs to be in a booster (NY law is to 8) and she put him in a super overgrown way expired AOE... her 9 y.o. told her "I am smaller than A, can I have one too?" She told him no, you are over 8. He asked ME in front of her, and I told him, yes you should be, Walmart sells some pretty cool Camo boosters. Want me to show mom which ones? ;) That was a few weeks ago, nothing has changed :( I showed her where the chest clip goes for her 3y.o it lasted about 4 minutes til she took him out... is right back to horrible again... You can't help people that don't want to be helped I guess... I pray for her kids EVERY night ...

robbertbobbert

Wow they are so lucky! Hopefully she will learn from that experience and use the (new?) seat properly now!

I told her she needs to get a new seat, and she said she can't afford it. I don't know her all that well, and I'm certainly in no position to be buying her a seat (again, I don't know her that well and she lives a few states away now). I did send her a link from the evenflo website saying to replace the seat, but I doubt she'll listen.

She's pregnant again, and who knows what will happen car seat wise with the new baby.

I hate to see kids get hurt when it's preventable (or, you know, at all), but I feel like I've done everything I can.

nevaehsmommy

I told her she needs to get a new seat, and she said she can't afford it. I don't know her all that well, and I'm certainly in no position to be buying her a seat (again, I don't know her that well and she lives a few states away now). I did send her a link from the evenflo website saying to replace the seat, but I doubt she'll listen.

She's pregnant again, and who knows what will happen car seat wise with the new baby.

I hate to see kids get hurt when it's preventable (or, you know, at all), but I feel like I've done everything I can.

Should'nt insurance pay for it?

My cousin posted last night that he was in a crash with his two babies. I asked if they were ok and all and he said yes. After the confusion I sent him a link on here that talks about when to replace car seats, and he was like they are fine the kids are fine....even my cousins who are car seat non users after three years old were telling him to replace the seats. He is way smarter then me but cant comprehend why he should get new seats.....:rolleyes:

robbertbobbert

Should'nt insurance pay for it?

My cousin posted last night that he was in a crash with his two babies. I asked if they were ok and all and he said yes. After the confusion I sent him a link on here that talks about when to replace car seats, and he was like they are fine the kids are fine....even my cousins who are car seat non users after three years old were telling him to replace the seats. He is way smarter then me but cant comprehend why he should get new seats.....:rolleyes:

I did mention that insurance should pay for it. I don't know the circumstances of the accident (whether it was her fault or not). She still insisted that the seat was fine.

Shanora

I used to be like that, and now, as bad as this sounds, I've become immune to it. Not that I don't care about the kids, but I'll post links on my wall, and everything else and I MAY comment if its really really bad, but I don't generally say anything for minor misuse.

And reading what I just wrote, makes me really really sad. *sigh*

Keeanh

After all this talk (this thread and others) of Facebook & car seats, I went searching. None of my "friends" have pics of their kids in car seats :shrug-shoulders:.

sunnymw

I used to be like that, and now, as bad as this sounds, I've become immune to it. Not that I don't care about the kids, but I'll post links on my wall, and everything else and I MAY comment if its really really bad, but I don't generally say anything for minor misuse.

And reading what I just wrote, makes me really really sad. *sigh*

yeah... i don't say a thing unless i am asked. one mama asked about whether she had washed her efta straps properly and wound up replacing it with a nauti. otherwise i gawk, whine to dh, and move on. :( had too many instances where nothing was done so i throw my hands up.

i think maybe there should be a carseat failblog sometimes... w faces blurred out... some people unfortunately are more motivated by public humiliation than their kids' well being. :duck:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC