Thread Marking Read/Unread Change

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Things seem to be ok on the app, which is what I use 99.9999999999 percent of the time now. However, when I'm on the computer, I rely HEAVILY on the New Posts feature, and this sounds downright awful. Not sure if you can count that as real feedback until I actually use it, though. :p

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Things seem to be ok on the app, which is what I use 99.9999999999 percent of the time now. However, when I'm on the computer, I rely HEAVILY on the New Posts feature, and this sounds downright awful. Not sure if you can count that as real feedback until I actually use it, though. :p

I don't use the app, so I would also be interested in the potential for the new way to remember threads you've marked read or unread on the app and retain that when you move to desktop and vice-versa. It seems to work from one browser to another and from desktop to my notebook and it should work for the app too.

It sounds like the aspect that some people liked about the old cookie-based way is that it essentially "forgets" once you have logged out for an hour, even though that is the exact problem that the new system resolves. In addition to having memory across platforms, the new system also should fix issues people occasionally have when their cookies get corrupted and the thread marking doesn't work at all.

The final piece to the puzzle is that the New Posts feature is essentially a search result. This can also interact with the forum caching system, providing a short term "memory" of its own. This is also something I am trying to evaluate with an extended test, because it can cause things not to work as they are supposed to work.

MomToEliEm

I typically use "New Posts" and am finding it frustrating that I am not seeing all the posts. Sometimes I read a thread but don't post to it immediately. Previously, I could just hit the "New Posts" button and would easily find it again so I could reply to it. Now I have to recall which folder it might have been in, usually searching several folders, and then make my reply.

I am sure I will adjust to it in time, though I prefer the previous way it worked.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I typically use "New Posts" and am finding it frustrating that I am not seeing all the posts. Sometimes I read a thread but don't post to it immediately. Previously, I could just hit the "New Posts" button and would easily find it again so I could reply to it. Now I have to recall which folder it might have been in, usually searching several folders, and then make my reply.

I am sure I will adjust to it in time, though I prefer the previous way it worked.

That link I posted above is also the first option in the "Quick Links" pull down menu. Is that the functionality that you are looking for?

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
That works for me. Is it possible to add it to the top next to new posts?

I may be able to do that, but it would require some custom coding. I might also be able to swap "New Posts" on the navbar with "Today's Posts" in the Quick Links pulldown if I can figure out how to do that.

That link I posted above is also the first option in the "Quick Links" pull down menu.

Also:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172692

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/sho...sed-thread-marking-vs-database-thread-marking

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
MomToEliEm said:
Yes, that does what I want. Is there a way to add that to the main toolbar right next to "New Posts"?

Maybe, but likely I,d swap them if I can figure out how to do it. That way the navbar won't be too crowded.

Incidentally, Ive absconded The iPad DS just got, at least while he is at school and the app looks awesome! Will be doing more testing with it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In case it helps anyone else: When I am on the computer, I don't use the New Post BUTTON, per se. I added a link on my browser instead. (I have no idea what the technical terms for these things are.) But, like, there's google, yahoo, etc., and then I added car-seat.org, only instead of it going to the home page, I set it to go to the New Posts redirect. (One time I hit the New Post button and quickly copied the URL thingy, then used that to add the bookmark to my browser bar.)

Is that making any sense?

Anyway, if you can do the same thing with the thing Darren is talking about, that might be a good solution if you don't want to hunt around in menus and whatnot.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
LISmama810 said:
In case it helps anyone else: When I am on the computer, I don't use the New Post BUTTON, per se. I added a link on my browser instead. (I have no idea what the technical terms for these things are.) But, like, there's google, yahoo, etc., and then I added car-seat.org, only instead of it going to the home page, I set it to go to the New Posts redirect. (One time I hit the New Post button and quickly copied the URL thingy, then used that to add the bookmark to my browser bar.)

Is that making any sense?

Anyway, if you can do the same thing with the thing Darren is talking about, that might be a good solution if you don't want to hunt around in menus and whatnot.

Omg you can Thank on the app, this is sweet. Hard to get used to a tablet keyboard,though.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
LISmama810 said:
Once you go app, you never go back.

I've never been fond of surfing on a phone, iPhone, android or otherwise, just too small for me. The iPad is super nice though. I'm glad I did the custom app too, I hope they don't ruin it or jack up the prices... I was told that existing custom app owners would be grandfathered at last years pricing,but I notice new customers are paying like double:-(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Brianna said:
I love the app... except the yellow text that shows up for the poll.

I also like how the ads are not too obtrusive. Problem is, the mobile ads pay squat and barely cover the cost of the app, so as more people migrate to tablets and phones an use the app, forum revenues are going to really suffer. That seems to be affecting everyone,though even Google. So thank you to the loyal desktop and laptop users who don't block ads and support our advertisers lol!

Mercuria

I was just about to thank you for changing the thread marking to per-account (in the thread I started), and found this instead. I didn't even know that "New Posts" existed until now.

I really like read thread marking across my devices.

Aurezalia

I HATE this functionality. Hate it. :eek: It would be fine if the posts you've read didn't disappear but instead "unbolded" like they used to. I use New Posts 99.99999% of the time, and most of the time I don't even pay attention to where a thread was posted to go back and search it out again. I can ignore the whole 10 pages of "new posts" thing, but I can't STAND that things you've read don't show up at all.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
When the threads "go away," do they come back again once there's a new post?

I'm going to assume it's because of this change, but the app has been working amazingly. It used to be that the app would open and show everything read, even when it wasn't. Or there would be a long thread I never read, and when I finally opened it, it would only take me to the posts since my last log-in or whatever. Now, it really truly takes me to the first unread post. There was a thread I read today that was started days ago, and it actually took me to the first post. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC