theoretical "which seat for newborn"

ARon

CPS Technician
This is all theoretical, as we are still TTC, but I'm a planner and a dreamer and a CPST, so today my thoughts are on car seats for a newborn.

My original "plan", if you will, was to purchase 2 radian xtsl's - 1 for my car and 1 for my husband's. We have a Corolla (in which I've received confirmation that it is possible to achieve the necessary newborn angle, though I haven't tried it myself) and a 3 door hatchback Yaris (which, because I'm shorter and don't usually have a front seat passenger, actually has just as much or more backseat space than the Corolla, where my husband is tall and where we would also need the front passenger seat back away from the airbag). I think regardless of what we started with, we would end up with radians down the road because of our intent to RF as long as possible and also to drive compact cars until absolutely necessary to purchase something larger - thus needing the narrow footprint to fit 3 across.

However - kink in my original thought - we live in the NW and have family in the midwest, so we would definitely be flying 3+ times a year, and would definitely be using the car seat on the plane. I don't mind a challenge, but I've heard that radians can be near-impossible to RF on a plane, especially at a newborn/young infant angle (would love for someone to refute that!). We're never on flights long enough that I think it would absolutely necessary for the person in front of the car seat to recline (really I think it's funny that people even complain about 2", but hey, whatever makes you happy) and we could arrange for one of us to ride in that seat if necessary.

Anyways - other seats I'm considering besides the 2 radians are the Chicco Keyfit 30 (w/ second base for other car) and the Combi Coccoro. I've been looking at those Google Docs spreadsheets for infant and convertible seats, to compare things like top harness and shell height. If we went with the KF30, by the time it's outgrown, would we be able to install the radian at an upright enough angle to fit in a plane (or, conversely, would you find it acceptible to FF on the plane and RF in the car, safety records being what they are?), or would we end up purchasing all 3: the KF30, then the CCO for flying, then the radian for the car? I also don't mind just starting with 2 CCO's - I have no particular attraction to the bucket seat, but it is a little cheaper to buy a second base than 2 CCO's and has a little added convenience factor.

Lots of words to say - help me plan for fun? What would YOU do?

ADS

Pixels

Um, CCo and Radian for newborn. Fly with the Cco. By the time the Cco is outgrown RFing, you can FF in the Radian on the plane and get a second Radian (or whatever great seat is out then, we're talking 3-5 years from now).

If you get the KF, it all depends on how baby grows. It's possible baby will be fine at a more upright angle when the KF is outgrown, but it's also possible baby will still be a limp sack of bones. :)

amyd

I'd get 2 CCOs and then see how long it took baby to outgrow it RFing. When it was outgrown RFing, I'd then decide what my next step would be. Good luck TTC!:D

cookie123

I prefer buckets. Especially in the winter. I like the convenience of getting kiddo ready in the house. Also not having to put a newbie in a cold seat. It robs their body heat.

luvsviola

I prefer buckets. Especially in the winter. I like the convenience of getting kiddo ready in the house. Also not having to put a newbie in a cold seat. It robs their body heat.

This. I am going for an OnBoard 35 Air for the next baby, and by the time she/he is ready to be done with it, pass DD's Radians to the baby and get Frontiers for her. I wouldn't fly with a Radian if I could help it. Buckets are so much easier for travel for little ones!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, on the Radian in the Corolla? If your husband has to sit in front of it, and is tall, not necessarily gonna work... I can get a Radian at a newborn angle behind the passenger (doesn't work center) in the Corolla, BUT mine is a year (2003) without advanced airbags so it can touch the front seat (can't in some of the later MY ones-- 2007 I think they became standard, and were an option before? Maybe even earlier.) AND, I am 5'5", and I'm the one that sat in front of it. It wouldn't have worked for someone substantially bigger/taller than me, and in models where it can't touch the front seats, you lose about another inch to inch and a half there as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC