The upright Radian install trick

canadiangie

I have a Radian with a 06 DOM. The manual was printed in 05. The pictures (coastal blue radian, same seat that appears in the XT manual), are wrong. The feet are clearly not wedged into the bight.

I cannot understand how this has been overlooked for so long. It's pretty much step 2 in a RF install process. 1) add boot, 2) set Radian on vehicle seat and position feet so that they are in seat bight. 3)...

HOW on earth was this left out of the manual if it relates directly to optimal performance? Saying that not wedging the feet in isn't "a huge safety concern" is unacceptable to me. Is it a minor safety concern?

ADS

Keeanh

Strange... there's nothing about this new development on Diono's FB page or website. You would think that realizing every RF diagram in every manual from the last 6 years is WRONG would merit more than a mention on a private FB car seat page. :rolleyes:

Can we all start pleading with Graco/Evenflo/Britax/1st Years for someone else to make a tall, narrow, low-profile, 45lb RF seat? Oh, and a tall booster with LATCH and nice headwings too while they're at it. ;)

brightredmtn

OK so actually just checked this when we went out. Apparently the seat shifted over enough when I switched from LATCH to seat belt so it's not on top of the hinge. So the seat is only incompatible with LATCH rear facing center (center LATCH borrows an outboard anchor and uses an off center 5th anchor).

Last edited:

Chely7425

Strange... there's nothing about this new development on Diono's FB page or website. You would think that realizing every RF diagram in every manual from the last 6 years is WRONG would merit more than a mention on a private FB car seat page. :rolleyes:

Can we all start pleading with Graco/Evenflo/Britax/1st Years for someone else to make a tall, narrow, low-profile, 45lb RF seat? Oh, and a tall booster with LATCH and nice headwings too while they're at it. ;)

Yes this ^^ Is my biggest issue here. We tell everyone RTM, follow the directions, look at the diagrams. But uh.. the manual is WRONG and the wording in the manual doesn't really clarify the issue either. HOW do they NOT realize that this is a huge issue?

Ninetales

Yeah. I've been beating myself up because I can't afford a Radian for my heavy two year old. With this on top of everything else I've seen from this company I probably wouldn't buy one if I could.

kidzndogz

I'm pretty confident now that not a single person in that company know what the heck they are doing or anything about this supposed "safest seat" as she claims. The 4th and 5th paragraph totally contradict eachother. It's not a major safety concern to install it forward of the bight, but you must put it in the bight because that's how it was crash tested. ??

The manual is wrong, now apparently it's incompatible with most cars, and you have to jerry-rig it with one of their famous crash tested add-ons. Remember the reissuing of stickers? It's gonna have to be manuals now I guess.

I think letting NHTSA know couldn't hurt.

Syllieann

The erf alternatives are a seat w/ a 40" stated rf height limit that requires a 45* installation, a seat w/ a 35# rf weight limit, a $350 seat w/ no rebound control that's only *just* become available, or a $450 seat that hasn't been released yet. I still feel better using the rn for my large 3yo than I would about using the ca65.

gigi

These kind of random issues (Random manual inaccuracies, super latch failure, car incompatibility, russ telling people to use duct tape, etc) are why I just cannot bring myself to trust a Radian or any Diono seat with my child. Bummer, too, because there are so many things to like, but it just seems to me like no one is minding the store at Sunshine Kids/Diono.

Stelvis

Also, they never come out and say they were wrong, issue a proactive recall, try to contact everyone about the issue, etc. At least with some other manufacturers you can feel fairly confident that if they realize there's an issue, they'll try to address it promptly, publicly, and proactively.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The erf alternatives are a seat w/ a 40" stated rf height limit that requires a 45* installation, a seat w/ a 35# rf weight limit, a $350 seat w/ no rebound control that's only *just* become available, or a $450 seat that hasn't been released yet. I still feel better using the rn for my large 3yo than I would about using the ca65.

The new Dorel seats allow a more upright installation.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Here's a picture of my vehicle, showing the little "bump" below the seat bight. If I had the feet in the seat bight, the base wouldn't be in contact with the seat, and it would be way over reclined.

radian014.jpg

Same year/make/model, different interior color
birthday301.jpg

lishoprah

I have the same type of bump in the bight of my seat that an aurora has. Ours is a 2006 4Runner with cloth seats, and the bump may even be taller. It would be way over reclined with the feet in the bight of the seat. I guess that at this point I use it this way for 4 more months until my dd is 3? I don't think she'll fit rearfacing in anything else that would fit three across next to a Frontier.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Even if I used an angle adjuster, it would mean that none of the base of the Radian would be in contact with my vehicle seat, which I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with. I'll just FF it until I can sell it, which means my 2yo will be FF until the Foonf comes out or I get a new vehicle.

Syllieann

The new Dorel seats allow a more upright installation.

Yes, but you may be hard pressed to find the ca65 w/ dual level lines on the shelf and even if you do there's still the 40" thing. The point is that there's really not an affordable option that will be a good erf alternative for a lot of kids so portraying the radian as dangerous because it can't be forced into compatibility might be counterproductive without suggesting an alternative other than ff.

Oh, I was typing when you posted. If you consider ff safer than erf in a radian, then my point is irrelevant so I digress.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC