Tethering ffing w/d-ring

Niea

Have you checked to see if you can have TA's retrofitted? Most older vehicles can have TA's added. If you post the make/model/year then somebody with a LATCH manual can look it up for you and tell you if it's a possibility. Many manufacturers will install at least 1 for free. Some older vehicles even have predrilled holes, so it's just a matter of getting the anchor hardware and you could even do it yourself. The vehicle manual would reference the locations if there are predrilled holes. :thumbsup:

I'd love to, unfortunately it's not my car. It's the sitter's car and I'm not sure how long she's planning on hanging on to it, or if she'd be open to getting tethers retrofitted (her son is already in a booster, though he should still be harnessed). Actually I'm not sure what car it is. . .late 80's Ford station wagon. I should probably find out! I'm curious too now.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If they're tested to 70#, but why do we have a list of weight maxes for all vehicles, most of which is 48#? Why wouldn't they all list the TA max weight at 70# isntead? There are only 3 that I can think of that let you use a carseat tether to 60# and a vest to 80#, the rest are generally 40-48#.

Conservative people covering their butts don't you know? ;)

The minimum 70# test weight is a total weight, so that's why most manufacturers say 48lbs - they factor in the most they figure a carseat is going to weigh.

I'm honestly not sure if the regulations are the same in the US, but that's what we were taught in our tech class - that the anchors had to hold a minimum of 70#'s weight in order to meet standards, and that many manufacturers already exceed that standard. According to what we were told, Legislation is being developed requiring car manufacturers to test the LATCH system to accommodate a child who weighs 65lbs - taking into account the weight of the car seat. It's part of the reason why the 65lb max weight limit legislation took so long to come out, and why it has been an interim order for the first year. Since top tether's are mandatory here, they've needed to deal with the weight issue... Maybe Jen will be by and be able to add anything else she remembers since she was the one who asked about top tether weight limits in vehicles and our seats having to be top tethered when ff'ing at all times. :thumbsup:

The way our legislation is for LATCH requirements in car seats - and vehicles as well, is also the reason why our 65lb MA and Radians have the max LATCH limit weight of 65lbs in their manual, while in the US I know that the Radian manuals say to install with seatbelt after 48lbs. (General note for lurkers etc: **Use of lower anchors should always be discontinued at the weight given by a manufacturer of the vehicle.** In cases where the car manufacturer defers to car seat manufacturer though, parents can use the seat with LATCH the whole time their child uses the seat in Canada.)

melniemi

Have you talked to ez-on? I know that they've been able to help parents come up with solutions that work in situations where vehicles don't have an easy spot - I know another poster, defrost, had this problem in her vehicle and they were able to come up with a solution. So I'd call them before ruling out the possibility of the ez-on working.

I did talk to ezon - they recommended I call my vehicle manufacturer. And that is what Chevy told me - no 'sound' place to install them. So I can either buy the other seat option for my van that has 2 ta's or I am out of luck. Swapping out a seat isn't cheap and I haven't found any used vans like mine within 45 min with the other seat - hoping the dealer would swap with me.:eek:

melniemi

Obviously tethering is ideal if you can do it, but if you can't you can't. My DD rides daily in an older car that has no TAs at all -- yes I wish I could tether her seat but I can't. I still think it's safe, though, installed tightly with the seatbelt using the lockoffs (which I have to use anyway because the belts don't lock either). It sucks, but it's not the end of the world, so if you can't make it work I wouldn't sweat it.

I would just as soon keep the seat installed correctly, even if it means untethered, than risk whatever might happen by tethering it in an unapproved manner.

The only seat my son would fit in is a regent -which requires a top tether. He is in a booster now and it looks like he will stay in one. I am hoping the Monterey is everything it appears to be - if so, I will get that for him. Otherwise, I'll look into a different booster with better sip than his turbobooster! He is fairly petite for 7y 4m, 46.5 inches and 48-49 pounds.

dd9736

Conservative people covering their butts don't you know? ;)

The minimum 70# test weight is a total weight, so that's why most manufacturers say 48lbs - they factor in the most they figure a carseat is going to weigh.

I'm honestly not sure if the regulations are the same in the US, but that's what we were taught in our tech class - that the anchors had to hold a minimum of 70#'s weight in order to meet standards, and that many manufacturers already exceed that standard. According to what we were told, Legislation is being developed requiring car manufacturers to test the LATCH system to accommodate a child who weighs 65lbs - taking into account the weight of the car seat. It's part of the reason why the 65lb max weight limit legislation took so long to come out, and why it has been an interim order for the first year. Since top tether's are mandatory here, they've needed to deal with the weight issue... Maybe Jen will be by and be able to add anything else she remembers since she was the one who asked about top tether weight limits in vehicles and our seats having to be top tethered when ff'ing at all times. :thumbsup:

The way our legislation is for LATCH requirements in car seats - and vehicles as well, is also the reason why our 65lb MA and Radians have the max LATCH limit weight of 65lbs in their manual, while in the US I know that the Radian manuals say to install with seatbelt after 48lbs. (General note for lurkers etc: **Use of lower anchors should always be discontinued at the weight given by a manufacturer of the vehicle.** In cases where the car manufacturer defers to car seat manufacturer though, parents can use the seat with LATCH the whole time their child uses the seat in Canada.)

a lot of testing in canada seems to be to higher standards (latch and TA's, head excursion, etc) and as such, the testing may not have to be done on US models of the same cars.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, in my 2001 Venture I have 5 bucket seats (3 in middle row, 2 in third row) and each bucket has it's own TA. So I have 5 TA's for 5 seats. Did they change that for the next model year?

Niea

The only seat my son would fit in is a regent -which requires a top tether. He is in a booster now and it looks like he will stay in one. I am hoping the Monterey is everything it appears to be - if so, I will get that for him. Otherwise, I'll look into a different booster with better sip than his turbobooster! He is fairly petite for 7y 4m, 46.5 inches and 48-49 pounds.

Gotcha! For some reason I got confused and thought we were talking about the DC. In that case, yeah, you gotta have a tether if he's gonna be in the Regent. I hope the Monterey works for you!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I did talk to ezon - they recommended I call my vehicle manufacturer. And that is what Chevy told me - no 'sound' place to install them. So I can either buy the other seat option for my van that has 2 ta's or I am out of luck. Swapping out a seat isn't cheap and I haven't found any used vans like mine within 45 min with the other seat - hoping the dealer would swap with me.:eek:

Try calling around body shops - or better yet, stop in. All you need is a flat piece of sheet metal on the vehicle's body and a way to access the other side of it. I found a local body shop that was willing to install two TA's for me in my Mazda 5, even though Mazda flat-out refused and told me it was "illegal." Of course, I was quoted $250-$350 for the job, because it required getting around a double-walled vehicle body, but it is "possible."

I didn't get them installed, though, because EZ-On came up with a cheaper option; I've got a custom 86Y that tethers to the lower seat belt anchorages instead of tether anchors.

melniemi

I'll stop at my mechanic's shop next time I go that way.

The only child who doesn't need a ff ta is my baby who will soon be outgrowing her keyfit and I really don't want to climb over the seats to try to buckle her in the third row rfing in a ma.

I have what Chevy calls the stowable third row. It is a solid bench, not the one that has 2 separate seats. Here is a pic of the back. You can see the one ta - between the center and passenger side.
100_5316.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input. I tried to rep some of you for your help but it said to try again in 24 hours! Sorry - I'll try to remember who I got and come back tomorrow!

snowbird25ca

I'll stop at my mechanic's shop next time I go that way.

I have what Chevy calls the stowable third row. It is a solid bench, not the one that has 2 separate seats. Here is a pic of the back. You can see the one ta - between the center and passenger side.

What are the gold metal rings on a loop of webbing hanging down from the seat? There's 2 of them in the picture. Those aren't TA's are they? (Otherwise I'm not seeing the one you're describing, but pictures are always harder to see things. :eek:)

a lot of testing in canada seems to be to higher standards (latch and TA's, head excursion, etc) and as such, the testing may not have to be done on US models of the same cars.

I'd hedge bets that the TA/lower anchor test minimum weights are the same for both US and Canada. A lot of vehicles sold in each country are the same aside from miles instead of km's, not having block heaters and that kind of thing. But interior wise, I'm fairly certain that manufacturers would be using the same seat assembly and would just test to whichever country had the higher standards if there was a difference.... Given that the weight limits on many vehicles for LATCH in the US is 48lbs though, I'm pretty certain the minimum weight they use must be 70lbs as well - if not higher... 22lbs is a good cushion to factor in the weight of the seat. :shrug-shoulders: (The standard is that the anchors will hold a minimum of 70# total weight in Canada. Who knows what weight manufacturers are actually using though, since many could be exceeding that weight in the testing process already, which I'm sure must be the case in vehicles who don't have weight limits for the lower anchors or TA's.)

snowbird25ca

The gold things are what the seat belt buckles are attached to.

Thanks, and I think I see the TA now too - it's the black piece that is attached right under the seatbelt stalk along the base rail of the seat, right?

Here's to hoping that your mechanic has some ideas. Otherwise maybe contact EZ-on again if you're really wanting to get him back in a harness. Although I'm in agreement with the others about him being fine in a booster at his age even with him being on the small side.

melniemi

I think I will leave him in a booster. By the time I come up wth the cash to actually buy another regent (I almost have enough for my 6 yo), he'll be closer to 8!
My 6 yo is excited about getting a new seat tho - and doesn't mind being in a harness. He really wants the blue compass true fit but I don't think it'll last very long, although if I got 2 years, I'd be satisfied, then I could move it down to my then 5 yo - which is what I want to do with a regent, but hoping for 3 years until my ma expires.
My 7 yo grumbled about it when I mentioned it. So I think he will stay in a booster - he hasn't complained about that at all.
Thanks for your help.:)

Yes, the black thing is the ta!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

Testing on vehicles should be pretty much the same with respect to LATCH/seatbelts/Tether anchors... it is fairly easy to import new vehicles (within 15 years old) into Canada from the US. There is lots of paperwork, but it's not difficult. Basically with any new vehicle (newer than 2002) the only change you need to make is to add Daytime Running Lights. This leads me to believe that the components needed for child restraints are the same in both countries.

I don't think it's necessarily that we have higher standards, but that the government isn't willing to have extra stipulations put on child restraints and how they can be installed. Therefore the requirement that they want vehicle manufacturer's to increase their LATCH/TA limits to comply with the child restraint limits... less room for error that way.

It's important to remember that the LATCH manual is produced in the USA and our instructor had no idea it even existed. It is a very useful guide, but we don't actually have anything from Canadian vehicle manufacturer's stating weight limits. I would still defer to the limits listed in the LATCH manual simply because from the above info, we know that the vehicles are pretty much identical and I would never want someone to put their child in danger. I am hoping once the interim order is over that we will have a more uniform idea of LATCH/TA limits on vehicles and no need to change an install because our child has hit a certain weight.

To the OP... at your son's age/size I would be perfectly fine with having him in a booster... especially if that is his preference. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC