Tether for 2nd row middle seat Odyssey?

suomi

I am doing a major car seat overhaul after an accident, new car + new seats. I am trying to take advantage of the situation and get seats that fit three across better in the 2nd row of my Odyssey. I just got a Radian 65 SL today, and had it installed in the middle seat, 2nd row of Odyssey. There is a Roundabout driver's side outboard and a Snug Ride (old style now, will probably get a 30 soon) on the passenger side outboard. The car seat tech was somewhat reluctant to install the Radian in the middle, first of all because they want the baby in the middle since she's the smallest (I can't do that to my back anymore) and also because there is no tether for the middle seat of the Odyssey. Will Honda install a tether anchor at that position? Is there any reason one shouldn't have a car seat in the 2nd row middle seat? Couldn't find anything in the owner's manual.

The child in the middle is 5 YO, 40lbs., 42". The Radian manual said you could do it without the tether if the kiddo was 40 lbs. I felt this vibe from the car seat techs that they didn't think I was doing the right thing.

Thanks!

ADS

Mae

Most of the time (if not all the time), you cannot get more tethers added to your car if it already has them.

What is the year of your car?

Also, I think it's possible that you misread about the Radian manual. It's always encouraged to use the top tether (however, the Radian did test very well without it), but I think it's possible that you read the part about the SafeStop, which is strictly forbidden to be used after the child is 40 pounds.

By the second row, I'm assuming you mean the middle?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, Honda will not install a tether in that position.

On this board, many of us actually prefer the least protected child in the most protected position-- that would be the youngest forward-facer (or a boostered child if you have a boostered child) not the rear-facer. However, it's much safer to put the forward-facing seats in tethered spots if possible.

You can always use the Radian without a tether. All American harnessed seats can be used without a tether at least to 50 lbs. (some require one above a certain weight.) It's the SafeStop you don't use if there's no tether, OR if the child is over 40 lbs. But, again, it's always safer to tether.

What are the ages and stats of other children in the car?

suomi

My kids are 5 YO, 40 lbs., 42"; 3 YO, 30 lbs., 36"; and 9 weeks, 9 lbs., 21.5". Right now I have the baby in a old-style Snug Ride outboard passenger side. I have the 5 YO in the center seat in a Radian 65SL and the 3 YO in a Roundabout FF driver's side outboard. I understand the concept of having the youngest and most protected child in the center position, but I have back problems and had the baby in the center for the first 9 weeks and I just cannot do it anymore. I have so much pain every time I take her in and out of the car when she is in the center, lots of times I have woken her up to take her out rather than take the infant carrier out, etc. It has also been difficult to buckle her in, and even worse, the SnugRide and Roundabout did not fit very well together, and several times we have driven off only to discover later than the SnugRide was not completely snapped into the base, as it would catch on the Roundabout. So I feel very strongly that it is not the right decision for our family to put the baby in the center seat, whether due to my back or for her own safety if we cannot use the seat correctly in this position. Last but not least, the 3 YO has started hitting the baby in the car, so it is much better to have the 5 YO in the middle.

So, my concern is really whether it is o.k. for my 5 YO to be in the middle, and if I need to have a tether anchor installed, or if that is even possible. By 2nd row I mean the row directly behind the driver, not the third row but the middle row. We have the 8 passenger version with the removable middle seat. That is the seat my 5 YO is in right now.

Thanks so much.

ctbcleveland

The newer body style (2011?) has a tether anchor in the center position. You could call your dealership to see if it is possible to switch out your current plus one seat for a newer one. I have no idea if they are interchangeable - just an idea - and probably an expensive one.

I understand your predicament. When your oldest is ready to use a booster, you could put a booster in the middle seat too (turbo booster should be small enough to fit) and then you'd have a captain's chair free for your harnessed child.

Another option would be to put up the single seat in the third row, remove the plus one seat, and have the oldest child climb back in there and clip the seat by him/her self. You can either have him use the middle pathway (leaving space between the baby and 3 yrs old) or push the captain's chairs together and creating an aisle along the passenger-side second row door. Some people also load their children through the tailgate, but that is probably not going to work with your back problems.

This is a suggestion because your third row should have tether anchors available and this would still leave you cargo room for groceries, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids are 5 YO, 40 lbs., 42"; 3 YO, 30 lbs., 36"; and 9 weeks, 9 lbs., 21.5". Right now I have the baby in a old-style Snug Ride outboard passenger side. I have the 5 YO in the center seat in a Radian 65SL and the 3 YO in a Roundabout FF driver's side outboard. I understand the concept of having the youngest and most protected child in the center position, but I have back problems and had the baby in the center for the first 9 weeks and I just cannot do it anymore. I have so much pain every time I take her in and out of the car when she is in the center, lots of times I have woken her up to take her out rather than take the infant carrier out, etc. It has also been difficult to buckle her in, and even worse, the SnugRide and Roundabout did not fit very well together, and several times we have driven off only to discover later than the SnugRide was not completely snapped into the base, as it would catch on the Roundabout. So I feel very strongly that it is not the right decision for our family to put the baby in the center seat, whether due to my back or for her own safety if we cannot use the seat correctly in this position. Last but not least, the 3 YO has started hitting the baby in the car, so it is much better to have the 5 YO in the middle.

So, my concern is really whether it is o.k. for my 5 YO to be in the middle, and if I need to have a tether anchor installed, or if that is even possible. By 2nd row I mean the row directly behind the driver, not the third row but the middle row. We have the 8 passenger version with the removable middle seat. That is the seat my 5 YO is in right now.

Thanks so much.

I believe you are misunderstanding my post. :) I don't count the baby as the least protected. Rear-facing is more protective than forward-facing. I would consider the 3 year old least protected, as the youngest forward-facer. However, you do what works for your family. If that is to put the 5 year old in the middle, that's what works.

That said, I would not use a harnessed seat in a position without a tether when there are other tethers available in the car. I'd put the 5 year old in the back, where you have tether anchors. Or the 3 year old, whichever works better for you. Or, I would find a rear-facing seat for the 3 year old that works in that position and put it in the center if you HAVE to have 3 across there for some reason (a 3 year old should be able to climb in a rear-facing seat on his/her own. No lifting to deal with.) I'd find a way to have all forward-facers tethered, that is much more important than who goes outboard to my mind.

(The 2011 Ody is a complete redesign of the second row, I'm pretty darned certain that you cannot switch out the center seat since it's a different size and shape. And again, no, you cannot get a tether anchor put in the center position of your center row.)

jenj

I am currently van shopping and will at times need three seats in a second row of an Odyssey or Sienna (2006-2007). Long question short, can you not use one of the metal bars in the floor used for attaching the vehicle seats behind the plus one for a tether position?
I saw it could be used for rf seats in the 3rd row on a different thread.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, you cannot. Rear-facing tethering using a d-ring places entirely different forces upon the car and the car seat than forward-facing tethering. Forward-facing tethering must be done using a tested and approved tether anchor.

lovinwaves

Where are the 3 year old's shoulders in relation to the top harness slot of the Roundabout? What is the date of manufacture on the Roundabout (just want to make sure it isn't about to expire)? Also, what is the manufacture date on the Snugride while you're at it ;)

I am thinking of a few things here...

1. put the 3 year old in the Radian, and get a booster for the 5 year old, and move the baby to the roundabout. The booster would be in the "8th seat" and the baby and 3 year old would be outboard.

2. Continue using the snugride outboard, Put the 5 year old outboard with the Radian FF'ing, and buy a new seat of the 3 year old to ride rear-facing in the "8th seat" (note: the Radian rear-facing in not compatible in the 8th seat due to over recline).

3. Take out the 8th seat and one of the captain's chairs and utilize your 3rd row. Or, take out the 8th seat, slide the passenger captain's chair over and utilize the 3rd row. Put the 5 year old in the back 3rd row, since he can probably buckle himself in without any help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC