Tall 6 year old -- 5-point to belt booster?

Mellex

Hi --
Our 6 year old is 52" tall and about 50lbs. Tall and skinny. I'm looking for a second seat for my mom's car. I'd love to still keep him in a 5-point as long as I can, but would like to find something relatively inexpensive since it won't be used much that will then transition to a seat-belt booster.

We have LATCH and would like to utilize it as well.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Melissa

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Unless you have a Subaru which latches to 60 lbs, your child has outgrown latch, so I wouldn't factor that in, unless you are just talking about booster mode.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What does he ride in now? My best guess is that the only harnessed seats that can accomodate his height will be a Regent and maybe a Safeguard -- and neither of those convert to boosters (and neither are inexpensive!). If it were my child, I'd get a good highbacked booster.

Mellex

Okay...two questions: Latch can be used with a booster, right??? He's too big for latches on a 5 point???

And, any recommendations for a good high back booster?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Okay...two questions: Latch can be used with a booster, right??? He's too big for latches on a 5 point???

And, any recommendations for a good high back booster?

yes, he is too big for latch on a 5 point. Latch can big used on SOME boosters. Sunshine Kids Monterey allows latch and is very nice.

Mellex

He's in a safeguard now which goes to 60 lbs. and is a latch. (5-point, btw, not 4 point).
I guess I'm looking at something like a compass??? I prefer a back to a no-back cuz of how he falls asleep in the car....

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Finger slip, I corrected, sorry. The Monterey has a back. The compass is nice too. Go for the 530, not a 510. The 530 is a little taller. It does not latch though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Also, unless you drive a Subaru, you cannot use LATCH for his harnessed seat any more. You must install with the seatbelt.

Oops, never mind. The Safeguard child seat has a limit of 48 pounds. You cannot install with LATCH.

Mellex

Judy:
Thanks this awesome info -- it looks like, tho the Sunshine Kids Monterey has a few things the Compass does not: it goes to 120lbs, it is latch-equipped AND it will eventually convert to a backless. I don't see that in the Compass 530.

Mellex

Judy:
I actually have another quick question about boosters that do not latch -- what keeps them from sliding around on the seat? Just the kid's weight??? I've never really understood that.

monstah

Just to try to help clear things up a little. I got a little confused reading this so I just want to make it a little clearer for others like me. ;)

Harness
-The Safeguard harness's weight holds up to 65 pounds. The harness is entirely seperate from the LATCH system.

LATCH
-Check your car manual to find out what the maximum weight limit is for the LATCH anchors in the car.
For example, some cars have a 40 pound weight limit on the LATCH anchors. So in that car, you would need to switch and install the car seat using a seatbelt when the child hits 40 pounds. Even though the LATCH straps on the car seat can hold more weight, the anchors in the vehicle can not.

-The maximum weight allowed by Safeguard to use LATCH is 48 pounds. So even in a Subaru (that has LATCH anchors that hold up to 60 pounds) you must stop using LATCH and start installing using the seatbelt when the child hits 48 pounds no matter what vehicle it is in.

I hope that helps. :thumbsup: Although I bet I just made it more confusing.

Booster
Some boosters can be LATCHed into the car, some can not.

Last edited:

Mellex

Yes, that clarified and thank you! That was important to know.

My last (hopefully) question in addition to the whole 'what keeps the booster from sliding around w/o a latch' is: any opinions on the Monteray vs. the Compass 530 in terms of how it extends? One is "enclosed" (Compass), the other has a "gap" between shoulders and headrest. Does that matter? One has a latch, but a gap, the other has no gap but no (I think) latch.

just wondering thoughts between these 2

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Monterey has something of a gap, but it also has WAY more substantial side wings overall, so it's not really a problem that there's the space (the head will be in the headwings, lower body in the side wings, nothing will be exposed in the gap portion--you can see how it looks on a real kid in this review... http://carseatblog.com/?p=1185).
I'm also leery of recommending the Compass unless you can try it in your own car, it tends to allow the lapbelt to ride too high on the abdomen in a lot of kids in a lot of cars, and I wouldn't want to risk buying it without knowing for sure. The Monterey has not seemed to have that problem with any child, yet, it holds the lapbelt down on the thighs better. (and no, no LATCH on the Compass at all...it just stays in place from the seatbelt and/or the weight of the child)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kid was also 52" at 6 yrs old, but she didn't quite make it to 50# 'til she turned 7 -- she carries her height in her legs & outgrew the Safeguard Go when she was 5. She also has some undefined attention and/or sensory issues, which made booster use a bit more difficult for her than other kids, but usually only when there's another child sitting next to her (otherwise, she maintains proper positioning by keeping herself entertained with finger puppets, books or her Gameboy).

Unless you've turned off signatures via your UserCP, you can see how she rides below :) She prefers the Husky/Regent over the Monterey, but she prefers the Monterey over the vest (which we use for taxis/travel). We both also prefer the Monterey over all the other boosters she has had (Parkway, Compass B510 & Turbo) for it's comfort, size & sturdiness.... She likes the snugness of the harness, but she sweats in the vest. In a booster, she always prefers to engage the Switchable Locking Retractor (by pulling the shoulder belt all the way out, slowly, letting it ratchet back in) which keeps her in place, providing that desired snugness.

Locking the shoulder belt is merely an optional passive reminder for wiggly kids to sit still & most kids respond appropriately with a warning: "sit back stright or I'll lock you in!" :p Boosters are designed specifically for kids your child's age & size, so if your child doesn't have any behavior/attention/sensory issues, at this age & in that vehicle, a booster without the shoulder belt being locked is a safe option :thumbsup: Kiddo should be able to learn quickly not to lean forward or sideways, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally, I lock my own vehicle belt! It helps position it comfortably and safely for me, and makes me feel more secure/remember to stay in place. :) I think if kids are anxious without that snugness that would be an easy way to provide it, in cars which have that kind of retractor.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC