Stroller recommendations please!

Wreckgoddess

I have a friend with a 9 month old son, weighs around 22 lbs.
He is a "linebacker" : )
He has medical issues and cannot hold his head up well. He also is getting fitted for a helmet soon. She currently has him RF in a Baby Trend infant carrier, and of course, owns a Baby Trend jogging stroller.
She will be moving him to a Graco Size4Me soon.

Here's the issue:
When they take him into restaurants, they can't sit him in a highchair. He can't keep his head up(neck strength)... so they take in his infant bucket and he sits in that. When he moves up to the convertible carseat, they will no longer have the bucket to carry in to restaurants.

I am an RN, and I work at a Childrens hospital... but I only see NICU babies.

She asked me for suggestions. I am thinking a lightweight, smaller sized stroller that can recline/has a tray and she can put an aftermarket newborn head support into it (An actual good use for those darned things!) to help support him.
She liked my idea.

Her budget is $250- wants something that they can use for years.

I am looking online...
City Mini (Baby jogger)? How "small" are those? I noticed they had trays you could buy
Chicco Capri or Liteway? Do those "support" or recline? Is there a tray option? I doubt it.

All suggestions/input welcome! Thanks in advance!!

**She is wanting something on the small side that will fit well at tables in restaurants.
And they live in Denver. Not sure if that affects any suggestions.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
”Small” and can use for years don't often intersect... When they do they don't often have a tray... When they do they are not usually under $250. :/

There are some Chicco options that might suit, at least for a few years, though they tend to be shorter in the seat...

Almost any standard stroller can be used at restaurants with tables if you pull out a chair. When he gets older if they object she should just say her son has a disability and it's being used as his wheelchair.

D&L's-mommy

another option is to talk to his doctor, or the social worker at his doctor to get a wheelchair or medical stroller. My son is disabled, and from personal experience they have all kinds of seats available. When my ds got his the dr sent a prescription to the medical supply store,then we met with a rep who went through all of our options (tray/no tray, what type of arm rests, what type of push handle, wheels, straps, body supports, recline, etc) he even got to pick the color. And his insurance covered it. It may be their best long term solution (plus then there's no explaining that he needs special seating when in public)

cupcakepirate11

D&L's-mommy said:
another option is to talk to his doctor, or the social worker at his doctor to get a wheelchair or medical stroller. My son is disabled, and from personal experience they have all kinds of seats available. When my ds got his the dr sent a prescription to the medical supply store,then we met with a rep who went through all of our options (tray/no tray, what type of arm rests, what type of push handle, wheels, straps, body supports, recline, etc) he even got to pick the color. And his insurance covered it. It may be their best long term solution (plus then there's no explaining that he needs special seating when in public)

This sounds like a good option.
For now maybe she can keep a infant bucket seat in her car just for eating out purposes? Something for him to sit in.

oliviacw

It's not small, but we often have used our Chicco Cortina in restaurants. It has a great tray, and it can recline all the way to flat if needed.

D&L's-mommy

This sounds like a good option.
For now maybe she can keep a infant bucket seat in her car just for eating out purposes? Something for him to sit in.

we did this for DS until he was able to hold himself up for extended periods. Another thought is a fisher price space saver high chair. it's small enough to take with them, reclines, and has a tray. Not sure if the seat back is tall enough to support an older infant, but most big box stores carry them if your friend wanted to check it out

jordansmom

How about the Baby Jogger City Select with Hychair accessory? I've not personally tried or seen it, but sounds like they could use the stroller seat with the attachment and keep the stroller in a reclined position.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-City-Select-HyChair/dp/B004TYOJNW"]Amazon.com: Baby Jogger City Select HyChair: Baby[/ame]

D&L's-mommy

How about the Baby Jogger City Select with Hychair accessory? I've not personally tried or seen it, but sounds like they could use the stroller seat with the attachment and keep the stroller in a reclined position.
Amazon.com: Baby Jogger City Select HyChair: Baby
I was going to recommend this but it can only be used with tables that have 4 legs (no pedestal tables) and some restaurants use them. I would hate to think I was prepared and then find out I can't use it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC