Spare Seat for RAV4

jacqui276

DH drives a 2008 Toyota RAV4. I hate having to move seats back and forth whenever he drives the kids. I was going to put my Scenera in there but my mom just moved back here from Ireland 4 weeks ago and the seat has since been living in her vehicle (plus it does not fit very well with the 45 degree recline angle). What is a convertible that fits well in this car?

DS is 5 months old as of yesterday, 20lbs, 27" tall and has an 11" torso.

My max budget is low 200s, width is not an issue as he will never be doing 3 across due to the middle seat making that near impossible. Something easy-ish for him to install would be ideal in case he ever needs to pull it out when he is hauling big equipment for work. He is pretty competent at installing seats but would not be excited about pool noodles or rolled towels. His large hands would make him pretty frustrated trying to install my Radian, I would imagine, since the belt path is so small.

The passenger seat can be moved up all the way as there is rarely anyone in it if that helps for space.

I am ok if this will not last DS his entire time in a harness as long as it will RF him to a minimum of 2. I would imagine that his growth will slow down one of these days. :rolleyes:

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would suggest Complete Air, MyRide, or True Fit. Although depending on slope of the vehicle seat you may need a noodle or three. The True Fit is not hard to install but might annoy someone as the lock-offs can be fussy. The MyRide is pretty easy but can be very reclined when FF, so try it that way too if you can before buying. The Complete Air now has dual level lines so can be installed more upright but at his age you'd likely still want the more reclined level (and the more upright one does require 22lbs and good head control).

Since he'll be the one dealing with it any chance he'd go to the store with you and mess with the seats himself?

jacqui276

I was just fiddling with his car and didn't realize how far up the front seats move! I had only trying installing seats behind the driver before, but that passenger seat goes REALLY far up so the size of the seat should not be an issue.

Does the True Fit have similar lock-offs as the Via? DH is used to those so should be fine with them if they are anything alike.

He would probably be willing to come with me to play around with seats

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You know what? This is kind of a shocker, but the Radian fits REALLY REALLY WELL RF in the RAV4 (outboard, with seatbelt.) Like, really well. And still leaves passable space in the front seat compared to many others.

jacqui276

I actually just installed my Radian in it today for him to use tomorrow and it fit in perfectly. I was hoping for something a little less expensive and easier for him to install though.

I am planning on using my Radian in my car (which we use most of the time) when DS is done using his Via.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
"Easier to install?" Good luck. :( I've found that there are not many that install easily-including the typically "easier to install" seats a lot of the time.

Britaxes and Radians have been my "good fits" in that vehicle, and as you say, neither is cheap. :(

canadiangie

Guide 65? It's very popular where I do clinics and so I've worked on a ton. I have no complaints installation wise, and I typically hear from families that they like the seat. And it's $124 at Walmart, sometimes less. Can't beat that. :)

jacqui276

I find the Radian really easy to install in the RAV4 but I think that the small belt path will cause DH to curse a bit. ;)

I will peak at the Guide65. I saw it at Walmart awhile ago and something about it made me like that seat. My only worry was the head tilt issue that others have posted about here. DS is big enough that it hopefully wouldn't cause any airway issues though.

The Roundabout is on sale on Amazon for $193.84 right now so is within my price range. DH would probably like the $125 price tag more though and the Guide65 will potentially last a little longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC