Question Spare booster for tall kid with anxiety/sensory issues

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
For use in Mercury Milan (DOM unknown) with 2 other kids, one in a booster (not sure which brand or model).

Here's what we need:
-- back is difficult to detach
-- headrest adjusts quite tall very easily
-- easy to use with locking shoulder belt retractor engaged

Here's what we want:
-- LATCHable
-- deep wings
-- smooshycushy seatbottom

I like the highback Clek & don't care if they think it's heavy because I'm the Mama Bear, I decide, so there! :p but I think it's too expensive? He doesn't want to spend more than $100 (I have a $20 Target gift card)

Considering the Vivo, but I don't want to put as much responsibility on kiddo to get herself buckled up quickly enough with those funky lap belt slots ... I have no idea how Dad's girlfriend drives, but Dad* isn't legally allowed to drive & is another crash just waiting to happen :thumbsdown:

New Parkway is also a consideration, but I don't think I can trust kiddo or Dad or gf to use the antisubmarine crotch thingy correctly ... plus, the old Parkway was too flimsy for me to trust it with uber clumsy Dad :twocents:

Anything I didn't think of? :eek: Might be willing to trade 2 of the 3 seats in my signature (haven't committed myself to that idea yet, so PM me if you want to discuss).

* and, um, yes, if he shows up without gf (who actually owns the car) then I plan to tell him to stay at our place instead while I go to class or I'll call the police (sucks to be on the bad side of a CPST, neenerneenerneener)

ADS

HEVY

The Monterey has an anti sub clip? Have I been under a rock??

I was commenting on this.

New Parkway is also a consideration, but I don't think I can trust kiddo or Dad or gf to use the antisubmarine crotch thingy correctly ... plus, the old Parkway was too flimsy for me to trust it with uber clumsy Dad

nomatt

My ADHD, SPD and anxiety disorder 8 yo rides wonderfully in a Monterey. His younger brother is super tactile defensive and while still harnessed, tries to sit in the Monterey and I believe he'll do fine it as well when the time comes.

My 8 yo is sensory seeking - not defensive but he has had a parkway and turbobooster and prefers the Monterey over all. Said it is the best ever...

It is just over your budget but if you watch, they have sales.

Vikki

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I contemplated asking him for the $100 towards an Oobr or Start, giving him our Monterey, but it's too wide for 3 across. Her 13 yr old daughter is taller than me with wider hips, her 6 yr old has a Cosco Highback.

What are the widest measurements of the Oobr & Start compared to Monterey?

I'm sure we'll be getting a 2nd HBB next spring anyway because the Husky expires early summer. Sooner if they plan on making any trips on the highway, although the teen does sit in the middle (a huge help preventing backseat squabbles!) & so far they plan to stick with short trips in town @ 30 MPH or less. Kiddo does fine with the Turbo in these circumstances (especially not being squeezed next to another young child) although I hope I can find out about rear side airbags....

I want to get my paws on the Oobr & Start so I can make a decision . . . am I right that the Oobr adjusts taller than the Start?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Center in the RSTV?

My parents forgot to take it out of their car when they drove back to NV & are now on a many weeks long roadtrip to Seattle then Alaska, without their cellphones, sigh. I showed DD's dad the pictures of it & he seemed extremely confused. He isn't the brightest crayon in the box. It would be totally up to kiddo to use it correctly, which isn't impossible but is much more difficult when she's distracted by another kid & the heightened anxiety in general that she has in this new experience. She could take a whole 5 minutes & I doubt they'll wait before pulling into traffic which will instigate a meltdown. Kiddo prefers to wear it when they're walking (to someplace to meet the gf) rather than carry the Turbo, but Dad says he'd ether carry the Turbo for her until we could get a seat for him to keep in the trunk.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Start is taller than the Oobr. Way taller. Danny has about 6 inches of growth room in the Start, and about 4 in the Oobr (which is currently sitting on my couch!)

I think the Oobr is going to be a bit of a ghost seat. It gives my kids more room than the measurements would imply.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The Start is taller than the Oobr. Way taller.
oh that is disappointing!

I *finally* got my laptop fixed (since April) so I got a chance to read the carseatblog review on the new parkway & decided on that. The slide guard looks easy enough for kiddo & it looks more sturdy than the old version, plus it fits their budget & will work well for 3 across.

DD's older half-sis is spending the weekend with us, then my ex & gf are meeting with me to go over my booster choice & other issues related to our visitation agreement.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kat_Momof3

What about one of the Compass Highbacks? I think the newer ones go taller, the backs dont' come off at all, they aren't SUPER wide, they're easy to buckle, and they even fold for putting in the trunk (since you said the dad mentioned it)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC