So now that I got the van...

Jordynsmama

which seats??
I got a 2005 nissan quest. Woo Hoo for me.
Now the choosing. Madisyn is roughly 20 lbs, maybe a little over and very chunky-I mean her thighs are ridiculous and the crotch area is digging into her. Kingston is between 19-20 but not so chunky. Well this was about a weeks and a half ago but anyway.
I need new seats.
I really want Britax. I just do. They still have the ashley ma for 179.99 at albee. Is it a microfiber material?

I want the RA 50 in pistacio for Kingston for 200.00.
So yeah 400.00 for carseats. But they are good investments that will last 6 years. So its important and worth it as we all know.

They do have the Compass/first years true fit in gray(the one that has teh detatchable head rest) on sale for 95.00 at target. I dont know how many they had left (this is in store-not online). I actually didnt sea any in boxes but they may have had them in the back. Are those good seats aside from how comfy they look? The head support looks good. Its grey and kinda ugly though. My car is champagne with beige interior....
Do you recommend to just go with the britax's? Do they install better? Or do you think the first years seats are more roomy and will be more comfortable in a few years? Do teh harness come out? I have read they dont.

HELP ME! TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The True Fit has higher top slots, the same weight limits, more leg room, a seven year lifespan, built in lockoffs, nice LATCH connectors, and the ability to have the headrest removed to 22 pounds or when your babies' heads are within an inch of the short shell. I prefer them over the Britaxes, actually. Far more seat for far less money.

They're not as easy to install as the Britaxes, but they're not hard. The biggest issue is that the harness adjuster is buried rear facing, but I don't think it's enough of a hassle not to use or get the seat. Something you get used to. But seeing as you get 17.5" top slots, a taller shell for rear facing, more leg room, and a full extra year (though check the dates on the TF in the store, since it may be on sale because it's older), it's a great great seat.

Wendy

Jordynsmama

The True Fit has higher top slots, the same weight limits, more leg room, a seven year lifespan, built in lockoffs, nice LATCH connectors, and the ability to have the headrest removed to 22 pounds or when your babies' heads are within an inch of the short shell. I prefer them over the Britaxes, actually. Far more seat for far less money.

They're not as easy to install as the Britaxes, but they're not hard. The biggest issue is that the harness adjuster is buried rear facing, but I don't think it's enough of a hassle not to use or get the seat. Something you get used to. But seeing as you get 17.5" top slots, a taller shell for rear facing, more leg room, and a full extra year (though check the dates on the TF in the store, since it may be on sale because it's older), it's a great great seat.

Wendy

Thanx wendy! If I get them Id probably get the grey one on sale at target for 100 for K and then order M a monet one for 180.00. If they dont have them at target then I have to order 2 and theyd be the same as the britax's cost wise. Unless you know of somewhere to order them for less than that? Can I install them rf'ing with latch?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Um, they're not Britaxes? They're Gracos. So no nice LATCH connectors, no super nice covers, no extra features, no rear facing tethering. The shell is about as tall as the EFTA, so a hair taller than Britax, but not by a whole lot. So non chunk kids will outgrow it before 40 pounds rear facing. It's very reclined rear and forward facing. Dual cupholders. 16" or so top slots, maybe a hair taller, though because of the angle they seem to last a little longer than their measurements would indicate.

Of course you can install with LATCH rear and forward facing. :) There aren't any seats that you can do one direction with and one direction without.

You can get a Monet on amazon I think for $154.

Wendy

Jordynsmama

They also have the recaro signo in midnight desert 2008 on sale at albee for 159.00. I thought of getting that for kingston or even getting 2 of those. I just have no idea how they compare with installation and fit and everything.

canadiangie

Congrats on the van! :)

I have heard over the years that Quests can be a bit tricky sometimes, depending on what seat is being used, and what seating position the seat is in. Do you think you could go to a Toys R Us and install a few seats?

Don't forget about the TrueFit Premiere with the anti-rebound foot. I'm not sure about covers, and certainly they won't be on sale quite yet, but you may want to consider them as well. (I think they're only available online at the moment?)

The RA50 & MA would be what I'd consider a good stand by plan.. as in, if you just hate the TF or they don't install well or something. Clearly the TF makes more longterms sense, and the price is either going to be less or about the same.

I'd lean towards TF's... :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Installation isn't bad at all. They sit up VERY high, have very little leg and shoulder room. Most kids will outgrow them by shoulder width before the torso height or weight limits. Or be too uncomfortable by their legs.

Generally those who have them love them, but they're not widely recommended. They're probably number eight or so on my list of top ten.

Wendy

Jordynsmama

Since I would use latch on the capt chairs I wonder what could be hard about installation with the quest? Hmm.
Arent all latches the same pretty much? Ugh I just dont know! Are the tf's taller than the ra50's or ma's or what I mean is do they install coming out more or less? I dont want the seats to be humungo and have to push up the front passenger seat all far. This is so hard. Ever since I came on here I always was so excited to buy Britax's when I had more kids. lol. Since J had her crappysport. I want a good install.
I guess I could go to BRU and try both out. Maybe thats what we will do sat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Arent all latches the same pretty much?

No. There are the alligator connectors that the Britaxes, True Fit, Radians, the nicest EFTA trim, Keyfit, Peg Perego, and a few others use. Seen here.

britax_marathon_latch_car_seat_luau_babiesrus_s1_.jpg

See them hanging down?

I can't find a picture of the other kind of LATCH anchors easily, but they're the hooks your CS would have had. Or like a top tether.

Ugh I just dont know! Are the tf's taller than the ra50's or ma's or what I mean is do they install coming out more or less? I dont want the seats to be humungo and have to push up the front passenger seat all far.

The TFs are much taller than the RA50s or the MA through the shell, but they don't sit up high on bases, so they don't take up any more room at all.

Your BRU may or may not have TFs in stock. Most don't. Some Targets do, but they don't let you try them out. You may just want to ask the return policy on the TF in their store.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
But they are good investments that will last 6 years. So its important and worth it as we all know.

Carseats are important and good investments, but I would not count on a MA/RA50 fitting a child to age 6.5. It is extremely unlikely. I'm not advising you NOT to get those seats if they are what you want and they fit your children and your car, but I am saying that if you want seats that will actually work for six years, those aren't them.

firemomof3

I would recommend the Radian XT; rf to 40lbs, tall shell, tall top harness slots, 8 year life span, tethers rf, longer crotch strap (for Madisyn's chunkey thighs ;)), comfy to sleep in ff, great side impact protection.
I don't know from personal experience how the Radian installs in a Quest, but I have my XT installed rf in my Sedona minivan and I have the drivers seat all the way back :thumbsup:

Maedze

I would buy a First Years True Fit before I'd buy a Britax convertible, and I'd buy a Graco My Ride before I'd buy a First Years True Fit (the only way that line up would be switched in my head is if the True Fit would get a 40 lb rearfacing weight limit, which would suit MY purposes nicely!)

The MyRide will last you longer than the Britax convertibles rear facing. The True Fit has a taller shell and higher top slots so it will last longer than the Marathon rearfacing and forward facing.

Unless your children are extremely slender (and it sounds like they're average to heavy for weight?) they will last longer in the MyRide rearfacing than they will in the True Fit.

Maedze

I believe the OP is on a bit of a budget :eek: I'm not sure telling her to throw down nearly 600 for convertibles is realistic (OP, sorry if I'm speaking out of my butt :p)

She could get the Radians 65s of course, but even that is 140 more than two perfectly good My Rides.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
True Fits tend to be pretty tight in the crotch strap area. Definitely try before buying (Radians are roomy and easy to buckle, that's what Firemom was mentioning).

BW1426

I believe the OP is on a bit of a budget :eek: I'm not sure telling her to throw down nearly 600 for convertibles is realistic (OP, sorry if I'm speaking out of my butt :p)

She could get the Radians 65s of course, but even that is 140 more than two perfectly good My Rides.

Well 65s are $197.99 from Amazon.com so only $16 more than the MA and RA50.

swtgi1982

The True Fit has the tallest shell, so they would last you longer. If your kids are anything like mine they will outgrow the marathons in height instead of weight, so start looking for harness heights and shell heights not just weight limits. Well that is what I suggest anyways. Your other option would be the new Saftey 1st Complete Air.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have Britax, but if the truefit would have been out. I would have gotten them instead. We have long torso kids.

I would suggest trying out seat instore and car if possible. I would try all 3 kids. I would try your oldest so you have an idea of how they might fit.

When we went shopping for our 3y a seat, I had our 7y sit in all of them. He only fit the frontier and regent. So, that ruled out the naut and many others for us. Our 3y is bigger then our older one was at that age.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC