So frustrated with RF install options...need help to avoid early FF

whitneyg

I thought I had it all sorted out...turns out, maybe not. I have a Honda Fit with a tiny back seat and a super tall husband who has to have his seat all the way back to be in the car. My girl is nearly 2.5, tallish and skinny, and I am expecting baby brother in July. I want to keep my girl RF as long as possible but fear that she may need to be FF when brother arrives as I cannot find a suitable RF option for her that will fit behind the driver with the seat all the way back.

We currently have a Britax Boulevard 70, a Radian R120 (new), and a Coccoro (also new). I have tried every seat at BRU and settled on the Radian and the CCO based on those experiences and advice from many of you here. I got the new seats thinking I was solving the problem, but once they arrived in the mail and I got to test fit them, the CCO only fits behind the passenger (at any angle, not just the newborn angle), leaving my girl sitting awkwardly upright in the BV or with a questionable install in the Radian. It is also very heard to get her in and out in the BV because the entry hole between the car door frame and the BV sides is so tight. When I wedged the Radian in behind the driver, the bottom of the seat was up off the seat of the car by about 3.5 inches, way bigger than I am expecting the angle adjuster to be (which hasn't arrived in the mail yet).

So, do I FF her in the Radian or BV when the baby comes, or jam her in the super upright BV, or is there some other Radian RF install trick I don't know?

AACK!!! Why is this so frustrating?

Thanks,
Whitney

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Have you tried the Coccoro in the middle and the Radian behind the passenger and pulled toward the door?

Wendy

whitneyg

I have not tried that...would I need to install both with seatbelts? When the Radian is behind the passenger with LATCH it has to be centered on the seat because of the RF boot thingy. I am pretty sure the CCO won't fit in the middle because it rams into the driver's seat and can't reach the newborn angle of recline. Maybe if it is scooted over closer to the Radian it might not touch? It is pretty narrow back there. The seats also kind of slant upwards closer to the door, so that might be an issue...but I am happy to have something new to try.

What I really need to do is call a tech and see if they can monkey around with all three seat options to help me troubleshoot it. I'll get on that tomorrow.

SeattleRain

I have not tried that...would I need to install both with seatbelts? When the Radian is behind the passenger with LATCH it has to be centered on the seat because of the RF boot thingy. I am pretty sure the CCO won't fit in the middle because it rams into the driver's seat and can't reach the newborn angle of recline. Maybe if it is scooted over closer to the Radian it might not touch? It is pretty narrow back there. The seats also kind of slant upwards closer to the door, so that might be an issue...but I am happy to have something new to try.

What I really need to do is call a tech and see if they can monkey around with all three seat options to help me troubleshoot it. I'll get on that tomorrow.

What newborn angle are your talking about? The cool thing about the CCO is that it doesn't have a newborn angle, it sits at the same angle no matter what. The insert inside adjusts it to the right angle for a little baby. For an older baby, you take out the insert and voila, perfect angle for an older baby. So don't try to install it at 45 degrees.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
SeattleRain said:
What newborn angle are your talking about? The cool thing about the CCO is that it doesn't have a newborn angle, it sits at the same angle no matter what. The insert inside adjusts it to the right angle for a little baby. For an older baby, you take out the insert and voila, perfect angle for an older baby. So don't try to install it at 45 degrees.

Yes, this. Install it with the line level for a newborn; it can go more upright later, but the seat itself doesn't install at 45*.

penguingrooves

whitneyg, i thought you were able to get the radian + AA to work, according to your comment on a scion owner's post - is this no longer true?? i also own a honda fit and have been toying with getting a radian with an AA, though i prefer accessory-free installations.

the coccoro won't fit if your front seat is all the way back, so behind passenger seat may be the only slot for you. how about the radian in the middle? (obviously with seatbelt.)

Charliee

I own a '07 fit and have a tall hubby too. Our Radain only fit RF center or passenger side RF. I used the seat belt to get the radain and our baby bucket (safe seat) side by side with the belts. A true fit fits beautifully RF driverside- no help now I know.

Last edited:

whitneyg

The angle I am talking about with the CCO is the line on the side that says it has to be level with the floor. With that line level, it only fits behind the passenger, not the middle or driver. As for thinking the Radian would fit, yes I did say that about the Scion post, I stuck the Radian in quickly but didn't completely install it. Once I really tried to install it officially, it is a no go. I am sorry about the confusion. I have tried the Radian in the center, but I think the split seat function of the Honda gets in the way. There are plastic and metal seat parts that block where the RF boot needs to slide in. I have also ben folding a stiff wool blanket to the dimensions I think the AA is (not for driving around, just for test fitting, don't worry), so maybe having the real thing will make a difference? Sorry I am so confusing. Can I blame it on pregnancy brain?

Wendy, I'll contact you about a meeting. It would be great to try your TF if that was okay. I tried one at BRU, but behind the driver and it didn't seem to fit. Perhaps I am doing it all wrong or something?

Thanks to all of you so far!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
With warning I'll yank the TF out of my husband's car, just in case the TFP is too big front to back (it's about an inch or so difference).

Wendy

Charliee

With warning I'll yank the TF out of my husband's car, just in case the TFP is too big front to back (it's about an inch or so difference).

Wendy

It's an older TF (DOM2008). It's installed fairly upright with latch in our '07 FIT. The seat, I swear, was made for this car.
Good luck!

In pictures: latch install, front seat is all the way back/upright, bench is reclined to give an extra 1/2"

Last edited:

whitneyg

Problem solved!!! Wendy came to my rescue and helped me immensely. I now have the CCO in the middle, and my big girl outboard passenger, still RF. Hooray! I wasn't doing the installs quite right, but now that they are in correctly, it all fits well. Now I just need to decide if I keep the Radian or the BV for my girl...decisions decisions...any thoughts on those two seats?

Thanks again to all of you for the help!

penguingrooves

congratulations!

i thought you didn't like the boulevard. but if maximum RFing time is what you want the most, the radian would allow RFing longer than a BV.

jjordan

I would choose a BV70 over a Radian any day, unless I needed the narrowness of the radian, or had a child who would outgrow a BV70 too early.

hehateme

jjordan,

I am also looking at Blvd or a Radian RXT. Since you own both of them can you elaborate why you like Blvd more than Radian?

Thanks

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Since your daughter is tall and slender, I would keep the Radian instead of the BV70. The BV70 is better for shorter/stockier kids and the Radian is better for taller kids (whether they're heavy or skinny).

whitneyg

We have decided to go with the Radian because of the narrower base and lower profile. My girl is able to climb in and out of the car all by herself with the Radian, which we are both happy about, and we get more width room for three of us if I need to sit in the back by baby brother. Now that I have installed it 5ish times, it isn't so bad, though not as snappy fast as the BV with LATCH.

Just like there is no perfect cloth diaper (though I will never stop searching...), all seats have their pros and cons. If only I could put the harness mechanism of the BV on the Radian, then it might be perfect...

Thanks again to all of you!

KaiLing

Side by side is our solution, too, and the only one I see with the 6'9" driver. CCO next to something with 6'9" rider in the back. Of note, it doesn't work in the Mazda, but does in the Honda.

I, too, would keep the Radian if it's a one or the other situation. But if you already own all three I'd use the Britax until it's out grown if it's easier and then switch.

jjordan

jjordan,

I am also looking at Blvd or a Radian RXT. Since you own both of them can you elaborate why you like Blvd more than Radian?

Thanks

There are a few reasons. Mainly it comes down to the boulevard being more user-friendly. It's easier to adjust (both harness height and tightness), easier to install, fewer weird rules, easier to take the cover off, fits better in cars (front to back) when rear facing... And, not to throw my husband under the bus or anything, but if he's going to be installing a seat, especially in someone else's car, I am much more confident that he can install a Britax correctly! You can pm me if you have more questions about my preference. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC