SKJP has a new name, new seats - Diono RXT

InternationalMama

They changed the name to Diono so that it would be more appealing to non-US markets. They may have added the booster for the same reason. The Radian is pretty unappealing in (most of) Europe where they booster so young and aren't interested in higher weight harnessing. The new design might go over better over there. But probably not unless they lower the weight limit on the booster.

Is there any possibility that they put a 50 lbs limit on the booster because you need to be pretty old to be able to withstand that heavy of a seat coming at you from behind in a crash??

ADS

NannyMom

The butt if the seat? Not the bight?

So like...forcing a bit of a rebound?
Yes, at the BUTT not the BIGHT.

Where are the shoulder belt guides on the R100 and R120? If they are higher than the headrest on the RXT, then it could be a bit more practical as a booster.
If I remember the picture correctly (only had XTSLs a demos), the belt guides were at the top corners. Above the seat. But again, it was a quick picture on their slide show.

bnsnyde

Just out of curiosity, is a steel seat even an ideal booster choice? I mean, ouch!

I read something about less rigid frames being (perhaps) safer for boosters.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, is a steel seat even an ideal booster choice? I mean, ouch!

I read something about less rigid frames being (perhaps) safer for boosters.

I'd be interested if there is a study for this. For side impacts, some degree of solid construction is probably necessary for best performance. For frontal impacts, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot either way.

bnsnyde

I don't know of a specific study, but it was a brief discussion on these threads a few weeks ago. Interesting, at any rate!

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
you know i was thinking that this might be a good seat for people like my mother, who is a foster parent and sometimes has no idea what size/age child shes going to get...even though the 50lb booster limits weird...my 7 year old nephew is only 44lbs (but he probably wouldn't have outgrown the harness either)

Momof4Girls

One of my kids is 50lbs...my 7 y/o. My almost 9 y/o (on 9/19) is only 48lbs (but 51" tall). DD1 is out of the Regent by shoulder height. My 7 y/o is 1/2-3/4" under the top slot (in the cover).

My 5.5 y/o dd3 is 37lbs (on a heavy day). my 4 y/o is 31lbs. My about to be 2 y/o ds is 24lbs. My kids are all lightweights...a booster that starts at 50lbs is largely useless for me. dd1, in small cars, 5-steps (in my stepmom's car, at least).

Dd3 finally has legs too long (and joint pain in her knees related to SNs) to RF comfortably, and we just bought her a PWSG as her primary seat...with options for either RF in our RNXTSL or FF in dd2's Regent, and then dd2 can ride in the PWSG.

All that rambling to say that the 50lbs minimum booster weight doesn't seem remotely practical. my 7 y/odd is the 45% for height and weight (they're all torso...totally bizarre, LOL), and she's 51lbs fully dressed. (In summer clothes, LOL).

Ah, well. Any difference between these and the RNs that we all know and...er...love? or hate? Or...both? LOL difference besides the booster option, at the very least.

Kat_Momof3

Jeffrey was 50lbs when I switched him to a booster... he was close to outgrowing the Radian harness... but I don't think the Radian would have been doable as a booster anyway... because around the time it was officially outgrown, his shoulders were too wide to fit in the seat... it wouldn't have been comfortable.

so the 50lb minimum would be great for the Monterey, which doesn't usually fit the skinny ones well...

but the Radian... again, being so short it would need a 40-45lb minimum and really wouldn't be a booster for very long, anyway.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The butt if the seat? Not the bight?

I read "wedge" as being just like the ones in the Companion infant seat, yk, the ones that went under the baby's butt inside the seat? But from the replies, that sounds wrong, too.

Now I'm insanely curious.

B

bumblewasp

The Radian is pretty unappealing in (most of) Europe where they booster so young and aren't interested in higher weight harnessing. The new design might go over better over there. But probably not unless they lower the weight limit on the booster.

QUOTE]

It's purely a regulatory thing here in Europe. Granted there are an awful lot of people who booster/FF way too early here, but I think thats true of most places. Theres a huge potential demand for higher harnessed weight seats here in the UK, but the way that the current test protocols are, they just can't be sold.
The Radian just isn't able to be sold in Europe, which is a shame as it would be popular!
B x

autumnlily

The recline wedge would go under the Radian and on top of the vehicle seat at the space directly under the child's bottom (not seat bight).

InternationalMama

It's purely a regulatory thing here in Europe. Granted there are an awful lot of people who booster/FF way too early here, but I think thats true of most places. Theres a huge potential demand for higher harnessed weight seats here in the UK, but the way that the current test protocols are, they just can't be sold.
The Radian just isn't able to be sold in Europe, which is a shame as it would be popular!
B x

But there are higher weight harness seats available for sale in the UK. There are several that RF to 55 lbs and the Britax Two-Way also FFs to 55 lbs. (It is for sale in the UK and has been for ages.) There are also special needs seats that have higher weight harnesses forward-facing.

But even if they didn't try to go for a higher weight harness, they could have chosen to sell the Radian as a convertible that harnesses to 40 lbs like so many other seats there. But that's kind of unappealing since ERF is only just beginning to catch on and besides the Radian wouldn't fit well in many smaller European cars RF.

I guess when I was thinking of the booster being appealing on the European market I wasn't thinking of the UK so much as countries like France and Germany where people want to booster as soon as possible. I believe the Monterey is approved for 33 lbs and up there. (ETA: Wow, I just saw that it's approved from 30 lbs and up here. Interesting.)

But I'm just speculating. I don't actually know SK/Diono's marketing strategy, but I do feel from personal experience that higher weight harnessing is a very American thing and much less desired in Europe. We can of course speculate that if there were more products available there would be demand, but I suspect that conversely if there was more demand (which I don't believe there is) there would be more products. Look how quickly more ERF seats became available in the UK once the public started to show interest!

ETA: And really, if you wanted a higher weight harness, why go for a higher weight FF harness when you can get a Multi-Tech and rock the higher weight harness rear-facing?

Syllieann

Well, I will explain it how I did during my interview. Flip the seat over. Behind the boot put a plastic box that attaches the same way as the boot.

Does that mean it won't work with the older radians since there isn't a 2nd place to attach to the bottom of the seat?

crunchierthanthou

The recline wedge would go under the Radian and on top of the vehicle seat at the space directly under the child's bottom (not seat bight).

anyone else imagining the top of the shell hitting the roof of the vehicle in small cars? :p

between the boot and the wedge, it's like the Radian will be on a pedestal.

AnnaC

Well, I will explain it how I did during my interview. Flip the seat over. Behind the boot put a plastic box that attaches the same way as the boot.

So it attaches to the seat? That makes me feel better.

But yeah- will it for sure work with the old Radians?

anyone else imagining the top of the shell hitting the roof of the vehicle in small cars? :p

between the boot and the wedge, it's like the Radian will be on a pedestal.

Kindof does away with the whole "low profile" feature, huh?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Let's see...
It rear faces to 45? or 40? (depending on the model you choose)
It boosters to 100 or 120 (depending again on which one you choose, they sure look similar)
If you FF before 40 lbs you need the sure stop thingy... but only if...
You can't use the head wings on the lowest settings.
Does the crotch buckle need to be on the 3rd setting at 30 lbs still?
Have we fixed the SL issues?
You can use a wedge for RF but only if your child is x pounds and age.
You can't use the bottom three slots FF.
You must use the boot when rear facing (what? you came to a seat check and left it at home? that's odd)
Oh, it's over reclined, but your child is older lets add the wedge (what? you left that at home too?)

At what point does this seat come with a separate carry case for the boot, wedge, 4 cup holders, and carry straps? They've sure stuck a lot of stuff to the back of the seat but this is a bit much. It's turning into a freakin' swiss army knife.

I agree with many of your points, and I guess the reason behind my bolding and underlining the one comment actually proves your point - Only the top 3 slots can be used for ff'ing. The bottom 2 can't be. (There are 5 slots in total.) However, you'd be hard pressed to find a child over 1 yr and over 22lbs who was actually below the 2nd from bottom harness slots... my ds was well over them at 4 months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC