Should I feel bad about FF my almost 4 year olds?

U

Unregistered

I have twins who will be 4 in a little over a month. They have Radians and could both RF for a while longer but are asking to ride FF. Should I feel good that we made it to almost 4 and let them ride FF or keep them RF until they max out the seat? I'm feeling really conflicted about this. Part of me says we made it RF longer than any of our friends with similar age kids so go for it but another part of me says it's so much safer to RF. We're going to have a full van most of the summer with visitors and it seems like it would be more convenient to load them FF but again, my conscience starts nagging me that I'd be flipping them for convenience/their preference vs. safety. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have twins who will be 4 in a little over a month. They have Radians and could both RF for a while longer but are asking to ride FF. Should I feel good that we made it to almost 4 and let them ride FF or keep them RF until they max out the seat? I'm feeling really conflicted about this. Part of me says we made it RF longer than any of our friends with similar age kids so go for it but another part of me says it's so much safer to RF. We're going to have a full van most of the summer with visitors and it seems like it would be more convenient to load them FF but again, my conscience starts nagging me that I'd be flipping them for convenience/their preference vs. safety. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am not a tech, but I believe most techs on here feel comfortable flipping kids at 4 years old and I've also read of some techs saying that they would flip a child over 3 years old if they were asking persistently. So I think a month away from 4 years old is pretty darn good!

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get a few more weeks out of them, if possible, just so you can make it to 4 years old and meet the NHTSA guideline. But I am the sort of person who really likes to meet the guidelines!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
We made it to 4 in the primary vehicle and 3.5 in our secondary vehicle. In all honesty, if my child had been asking frequently to turn around before he hit 4, I probably would have done it. Yes they're safer rear facing, but they're still VERY safe in a properly used, properly installed forward facing seat. You did awesome keeping them rear facing this long.

If they're going to forward face in Radians and they're under 40 lbs, don't forget to use the Safe Stop.

Keeanh

You've done great!!! Yes, I would turn them. I would also let them know that if they don't like being FF they can turn back again. They might find sitting upright with dangling legs isn't all it's cracked up to be ;) Personally I'd rather ride reclined with my legs up :)

Like Monica mentioned, you need to check if you need the SafeStop. I just want to add that you only use the SafeStop for FF under 40lbs when the seat is tethered. You leave it off for untethered. You should tether your seats if at all possible. Let us know if you need help finding your tethers, or if you need part #s to retrofit an older vehicle :)

The Radian can be a pain to install (as I'm sure you know LOL). If you have any problems at all, please come back and ask!!

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about flipping them. I'll try to hold them off until their birthday and then give them the choice to turn back if they don't like it. And thanks for reminding me about the Safe Stop. They're both under 40lbs and will be tethered. Many thanks!

kitkat0872

My youngest started asking repeatedly around that age. We told him he could flip when he turned 4, and though I struggled with it for the same reasons as you, decided it was best to honor our word to him. Of course, at five, he could still RF, but we made it to the recommended age. Good luck in your decision!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC