Should I exchange the My ride for a Radian??

U

Unregistered

I recently purchased a myride 65 from Walmart for my daughter who is outgrowing her chicco keyfit 30. (24lbs, 29", 14 months). I have installed the myride in my car (2011 cr-v) and she rode in it once. (She's in a cosco scenera in our other car - not in that car that much). But now I've been reading up on the SK radian 80sl that i can get for just under 200 at some places. The only thing I don't like about the myride is the sides are high getting her in and out.

Would the radian last her longer height wise? Is it easy to install? Easy to get her in and out? Worth the extra cost? Would it take up more or less room front to back than the myride (assuming the angle adjuster is used).
Thanks!

ADS

everashley

Should I exchange a My Ride for a Radian?

I just bought DD a My Ride 65 from Walmart since she just outgrew her Chicco Keyfit 30. I installed it fring in my car and she has been in it once. (she is in a rfing 40lb cosco scenera in my SIL's car). DD is 14 months, appx 24lbs, 29". I like the my ride; easy install and looks so comfy. It's really wide though and lifting her over the sides to get in is a pain. I drive a 2011 cr-v. I've been looking into the Radian.

Should I return the my ride and get a radian? Which radian? I'd like one that rf's til 45lbs and isn't the most expensive one there is? Maybe an 80sl?

Will it last DD longer rfing by height?

Will it take up more space front to back than the my ride? (I'd be using the angle adjuster since she is 14 mos)

Is the install hard on the radian?

Will I like the seat better? :)

Thanks!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Re: Should I exchange a My Ride for a Radian?

Should I return the my ride and get a radian? Which radian? I'd like one that rf's til 45lbs and isn't the most expensive one there is? Maybe an 80sl?

The Sunshine Kids 80SL and XTSL, and the Diono R120 and RXT all rear-face to 45 lbs.

Will it last DD longer rfing by height?

Yes. :)

Will it take up more space front to back than the my ride? (I'd be using the angle adjuster since she is 14 mos)

It kind of depends on your car. With the angle adjuster, I'd say probably not. Without the angle adjuster (and I'd try it without first) it might. Check the air bag and child restraint sections of your CRV manual (be sure to read all the exhaustive "Warning, you will die if you don't read this ad nauseum information" warnings) and see whether it's ok for a car seat or anything else to lean on the front seats. If your car doesn't prohibit it, the Radian can rest on the front seats and that can really help with front-to-back fit.

Is the install hard on the radian?

Not usually. It can be, but in my experience every car seat can have occasional install issues in some cars. Some car seats (Britax comes to mind) have fewer issues than others, but I don't think the Radian is any harder to install than a My Ride.

Will I like the seat better? :)

I don't know. I like it better. :) Not everyone does, though. It will really help with the loading/unloading logistics, though. The low profile really is nice for that.

tanusscott22

Maybe a bit off topic, but have you looking into a True Fit? It is very similar to the my ride, but has a much lower side for loading little ones in and out. Very comfy with lots of padding, no rethread harness (so you don't have to uninstall the seat to raise or lower the harness height as your child grows) super fast and easy install once you get the hang of it, build in lock offs so no messing around with a locking clip or twisting the buckle stalk to be sure you have a tight install. The cover just snaps on and off, so if you have a vomit/potty/or food mess you don't have to uninstall the seat to remove the cover for washing. It also has a 50" height limit FFing, and a 65# harness weight (pretty similar to the MR). It can also be installed at a 35 degree angle for older kids to give you more leg room in the front seats, and it has a 7 year lifespan.

It is a wide seat, but I like how the seat surrounds and protects the child. The Radian is really open on the sides...(it's NOT less safe, it's just a visual difference). Also the TF can be found on sale for about $100-$150, which is right in the same range as the MR.

The only major con (I think) of the TF is the Rfing weight limit is only 35#. My 2 1/2 year old is only 28# though, so our TF's are going to get us well past age 3.

I have both the Radian XLST, a regular TF and a TFPremier, and I honestly like our TF's better. The radian, needs to be uninstalled to wash the cover or adjust the harness, was harder to install in our Audi A6, we needed a locking clip to get it tight, and it cost A Lot more. Just some food for thought. :D

everashley

I've looked the the TF but I really want one that rf's til 40-45 lbs. I'd use a latch install in my car. So far I've never had to take her seat cover off to clean it (knock on wood) due to any messes. We don't do a ton of driving to where she'd be eating in the car etc..

Maybe I'll go ahead and buy a radian and try it out and then return one of the seats... I wish our BRU had one I could test out but they don't :(

tanusscott22

Are you traveling any where for the holidays? Maybe you can stop at a different BRU and see if you could test one? Or maybe google to see where Radians are sold???? I'm sure you can find a store somewhere that has one you can play with. We had to wait untill we traveled 5 hours south to see family before we could get our hands on an in store seat to play with. Now would be a good time if you are traveling soon.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Would the radian last her longer height wise? Is it easy to install? Easy to get her in and out? Worth the extra cost? Would it take up more or less room front to back than the myride (assuming the angle adjuster is used).
Thanks!

The Radian is much taller than the My Ride. It can be a bear to install. It's generally easier to get kids in and out of because of the short sides. Worth the extra cost is a question only you can answer. It will take up probably less space front to back with the angle adjuster.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC