Question Short but good LBB?

vermontmoms

We have a 2003 Dodge Durango. It has the third row seat that is short. My twin boys are in the second row in HBB Montereys and the middle of that seat is too crowded to put any other kids (plus it is a lapbelt only spot).

My boys are 8 and most of their friends are 7-8yrs. These kids can pass part of the 5 step test in our 3rd row b/c of the short seat but the belt still sits high on their neck. I would like to have a LBB for these kids (most are not in boosters full-time so can't borrow from parent).

Is there a cheap, short lbb that would work for our 3rd row in this car? Is it something I could use as a spare for my kids if need be in other's cars in case our Montereys won't fit with their seat config?

Thanks,
Jen

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is the seat short front to back, or top to bottom? There has to be head support for a low back booster.

I'd grab a Harmony Lite Rider, probably. Or a Ride Safer Travel Vest.

Wendy

NannyMom

If the kids scoot closer to the the buckle, does that fix the shoulder belt problem? That's what I did a few years ago with a couple 6 or 7 year olds in my 2000 Durango (booster law was 6 at the time, and I know they were old enough to be legal).

Otherwise I'd get a Harmony Literider at Walmart.

zactayaus

My vote is for a Cosco Top Side from Target. Only like $12, nice and low, not very wide, and it's very light weight.

NannyMom

My vote is for a Cosco Top Side from Target. Only like $12, nice and low, not very wide, and it's very light weight.

Is it shallow in depth? The Durango's 3rd row is like 3 inches (exageration, but you get the picture) deep, lol. Which is why....I had 6 year olds that could 5 step

vermontmoms

Here is a picture of the seat. Very short depth of seat bottom but has nice back w/headrests. Can boster have any overhang?

Attachments

• image-4062614737.jpg
    image-4062614737.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 21

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, usually up to 20%. There are a few exceptions to that. A Lite Rider or Top Side should work just fine on a shallow back bench.

Wendy

vermontmoms

Yes, usually up to 20%. There are a few exceptions to that. A Lite Rider or Top Side should work just fine on a shallow back bench.

Wendy

Ok, I measured and the back bench in our durango is 13in deep or 13L. Would the literider still fit? On walmart.com it gives these dimensions: 17.0L x 16.0W x 7.6H

The graco backless is only 15.5L x 16.25W x 8.64h; would that fit better and be a better choice? (our monterey is 16.0L x 19.5W x 9.75H and it is tippy b/c of the 3in overhang if child leans forward).

Maybe the bubblebum is the best choice since it is 8.0 x 5.0 x 5.0. And when fully inflated it is 13 X 13 X 4.5 ins? Do kids feel tippy in this seat? Does it really work? Does anyone have one? Does it come in different colors?

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The BubbleBum is tippy. My older daughter doesn't sleep in it well. She finds it annoying to use, but deals with it for a few days on a trip when we travel. It'd be fine for the occasional booster rider, but I'd put one of your kids in it, not a guest who isn't used to a booster at all.

Wendy

vermontmoms

The BubbleBum is tippy. My older daughter doesn't sleep in it well. She finds it annoying to use, but deals with it for a few days on a trip when we travel. It'd be fine for the occasional booster rider, but I'd put one of your kids in it, not a guest who isn't used to a booster at all.

Wendy

Does the Graco backless turbo have a best bet rating? That is only 15in so maybe it would be better than the bubblebum.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know what the IIHS found with the six year old dummy, but as techs we find the Turbo fits most kids very well.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC