seat suggestions for 6yr old 55lbs?

bbygrl99

Okay, since I am offically hooked on this website and learning all I can about car seat safety I am worried that I need a new booster seat for my dd1 that is 6yr old and 55lbs? So start your suggestions!! (also I have currently a dd2 in a RF RA)

ADS

henrietta

Depending on how tall she is, she might be able to still be harnessed in a Cosco Apex (dn is at 57 lbs. and 48" tall w/long torso). It also makes a decent bpb.

Britax Regent would be excellent, as she could be a harnessed for another 3-4 inches past the Apex, probably up past age 8. It probably wouldn't be wasted $, b/c your younger child could use it when the older one outgrows it.

For a dedicated high back booster, dn likes the Compass booster (we have the older one that goes to 80 lbs).

hths

henrietta

scatterbunny

Britax Parkway
Britax Monarch
Recaro Young Style
Compass B510
Graco TurboBooster

Those are the ones I would consider for my own child. We previously owned a TurboBooster. We currently own a Parkway and a B510. There are things we like better about the Parkway and things we like better about the B510. Overall we prefer the B510, but there are things I wish were different--mainly I wish it had deeper torso wings and I wish it adjusted a bit taller so it would last longer.

What is she riding in now?

bbygrl99

I measured her torso, and according to the past thread on how to do it I sat her down and measured her from bottom to shoulders? If so she is 17".
She is in a backless booster right now ( I know I know- had no idea until I found this website!!!)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I measured her torso, and according to the past thread on how to do it I sat her down and measured her from bottom to shoulders? If so she is 17".
She is in a backless booster right now ( I know I know- had no idea until I found this website!!!)

Try out the seats jenny suggested, they are the best boosters out there (try a search on this page, we yak about them constantly, lol...the google bar at the bottom of the page)

:)

bbygrl99

I was looking and I found a Compass B500 for 60.00? Is that like the B510? What are the differences? I like the parkway and found some for 75.00 (which I like) but I worry the wings are too close for their head? I know it is for protection but did your child find they were kinda stuck in it?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The B500 is missing the side impact protection, so unless your car has curtain airbags, I'd skip it.

My kids don't mind the wings on the parkway, they love the 'pillows' :D

scatterbunny

Skip the B500 for sure, it is much shorter, so outgrown much sooner (my dd, at 5, probably only has an inch or so of torso room left in a B500!). It also has smaller headwings (not as deep) and different shoulderbelt guides. The B510 was actually designed and tested for side impact protection, and the headwings are as deep as the Parkway's headwings but not nearly as close to the head. I measured everything about both of these boosters and took pictures to compare, here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0... Comparisons/Britax Parkway and Compass B510/

And comparisons of the Parkway and Turbo here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0...risons/Graco TurboBooster and Britax Parkway/

You can tell in my pictures that my dd's head is much more confined in the Parkway, when she wears her hair in pigtails the PW's wings push on the pigtails. She doesn't care, though some kids do. The Compass B510's wings are just as deep, but are much further apart, allowing more room for the head.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC