Question Seat recline with carseat

kristy121

Hi everyone, I know Nicole answered this for me a long time ago, but I am having a debate with my cousin who is a firefighter and thinks he knows all...

His daughter is 3 yrs old 33lbs rf in a radian. In his escape (2007') he has the seat itself reclined. I was sure you couldn't do this except maybe one click, his is really reclined.

I know in our truck 2006 explored we have ours reclined 1 click in order to get a solid install with the same seat rf (my dd is 2.5 and 30lbs

Can someone please clarify this?
Thanks!!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as the seat is tight, I'm not sure it really matters. We had some people at an event who wanted to keep their setback reclined to give their kid more legroom. The senior checker (VERY experienced and knowledgable) didn't have a problem with it.

It's not the choice I would make, but I don't know for sure if there's an actual danger.

Mae

Some cars allow it, some don't. Some allow a few clicks, some allow none.

You just have to check the car's manual. It should definitely have it listed there. :thumbsup:

selinajean

Some cars allow it, some don't. Some allow a few clicks, some allow none.

You just have to check the car's manual. It should definitely have it listed there. :thumbsup:

I have read through the child restraint system section of our vehicle manual and it doesn't mention anything about vehicle seat recline. The vehicle is a 2005 but honestly the info and diagrams in that section seem like they are from 1980.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Over the last 5-6 years, some vehicle manufacturers have developed some very specific rules with regards to seat recline when child restraints are installed. It's a PITA for technicians, because it means there's a lot of reason to be consulting vehicle manuals at each check. Some vehicles actually *require* quite a recline when you install a child restraint.. others prohibit it.

In short: Without the manual, we don't know. Chances are that a 5 year old Ford doesn't even make mention of it. I wouldn't stress over a RF'r being on a reclined seat--I'm happier to see a 3 year old rear-facing.

-N.

kristy121

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will let him know I was wrong, we didn't see anything about it in either of our manuals either!

Nicole thanks for the reply- I didn't want to ask yet another q of you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC