Seat for a 5 year old 15'' at the shoulders

Maru

Hi my daughter is about to outgrow her boulevard, she has no room to grow anymore. I have been reading and found that 5 point harnesses are safer than booster seats, so I would prefer her harnessed. But I am not sure how much time would buy me, to have her in a frontier or nautilus or even a safeguard (not the go). Or should I just go an buy her a monterrey? The nautilus won't be used as a backless booster.
How much time would you think she would have before outgrowing the frontier?
We live in Mexico right now, so it is kind of difficult to be buying seats often.
I would really appreciate your answers.
:D

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you sure the Boulevard is cranked all the way up? It goes to just shy of 17" at the highest. Maybe as low as 16.5". But not only to 15".

The Frontier has 18.25" top slots, so she'd have quite a lot of time harnessed in it. The Nautilus is slightly higher at 18.5". The Safeguard Child Seat has 19" top slots. It doesn't turn into a booster, though.

You don't say how much your five year old weighs, nor if you think she'd do ok in a booster full time. If you think she could sit properly for the entire ride every time and she's over 40 pounds the Monterey would be a viable option. If she's a tiny just turned five year old who likes to bounce around in her seat then I'd probably go for a harnessed seat.

Wendy

Maru

Thank you.

Yes, I cranked it all the way up and mabe I measured her wrong but she has less than 1/3 of an inch. She just turned 5, and is 43'' and 44lbs. On some trips she has used the turbo (which I don't whant for her everyday seat) and has done fine, but those where short trips. She is not really bouncy but then again she is 5. And what really worries me, is people saying 5point harnesses are way safer, and that video of side impact crashes.

Are kids really less safe in booster with side protection? than in 5-point harnesses?:confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a five year old at her size a booster or a harness is a debate. You've seen the videos, so I won't repost them, but to me they're enough to keep my daughter harnessed instead of a deep winged booster. But she does ride in a Parkway as her secondary seat and she does fine and I don't stress about it. I just think she's safer day to day in a harness. But she's also still pulling tricks like, "See, you're not supposed to do this, right Mommy?" and doing whatever it is you're not supposed to do.

Wendy

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Even if the Nautilus is never used as a backless booster, it's still the cheapest option for a carseat with high harness slots. She'll have plenty of room to grow in it. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC