Seat Belts vs. Harness Straps/Britax Regent vs Britax Parkway

ADS

scatterbunny

Are you sure they are making the Airway anymore? I ask because we had one for Hayley (got rid of the damned thing) with the 50 pound weight limit and my understanding is that they were supposed to re-release it as the Legend with a higher weight limit, but so far have not seen that happen.

The Airway was awful to use, really awful. :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We had an Airway to play with in class. It took me and two instructors about a half hour to get the thing sorted out enough to play with in class. It never said what it was, other than a Nania, and since I had heard of the airway I asked if that's what it was, but my instructors didn't know. Man that thing was a bear. It kept falling apart on anyone who picked it up. I actually got it installed well with the harness in my truck, but I wasn't going to take that thing apart to make it a backless booster!!!!!!! Ugh. What a hassle and a half.

Wendy

B

bucket2

Yeah, last I knew they were still available. Mine can be used as a BPB, but not backless.

I've heard others say they're hard to use. I got a good install in both my '00 Galant and my '05 Camry, with my only complaint being the belt path is wide and narrow - it was a bit tricky to get the belt threaded through (ouch).

I'll admit I don't use it on a daily or even weekly basis. The little girl with CP I take care of (hovering at 40 lbs - the reason I have the Airway) now has 1) a baby brother 2) a power chair 3) van with lift, I use it even less ;) .

scatterbunny

Yeah, once in a great while it isn't bad to use, but on a daily basis it was awful. The straps are narrow and not that great of quality. The seat itself falls apart (base separates from back). Installation wasn't hard in my Accord, but in other vehicles I had trouble, the base would slide forward and away from the vehicle seatback and the back part would stay put. The crotch buckle was insanely high and the buckle tongues pressed on my dd's tummy. The worst part for me was tightening the harness, though. I had to do lots of short pulls (which wasn't that big of a deal), but each tug was more of a YANK and it hurt my wrist.

It has nice, tall top slots though. 17 inches, same as the Futura Hayley is in now, so I'm sure most kids could make it to 50 pounds in the harness. Hayley's about 48 pounds and almost too tall for the 17 inch slots.

I had heard that Nania "went down" and that Combi bought the rights to the seat and would re-name it the Legend with a few minor changes. That has not happened, so I assumed the seat was off the market, or at least not being produced anymore. I wonder if the seats still on the market have new or old DOMs?

For less than the price of an Airway I'd steer everyone towards the Apex if they had headrests. If not, I'd encourage them to spend $10-$20 extra and get a Fisher Price Safe Voyage EX.

Here's a pic of Hayley in the Airway at 42 inches and 42 pounds:

HayleyAirway.jpg

melaniev

bucket2 said:
There's one more: Nania Airway

The top slots are pretty high (I could measure if interested).

If you don't mind, I'd love to know if the top harness slots are over 17" (we're at 16.5" right now). I see one online for $119 and still looking for a seat to keep in my parents car. maybe for the same price though, the apex is a better option.

scatterbunny

The top slots on the Airway are angled, so the very tip-top measures over 17, maybe 17.25-17.5 inches. The lowest part of the slot measures 17.

I wish I had thought to take close-up pics of the Airway's slots, without my dd actually in the seat, to show this better.

But yes, IMO, the Apex is a much better seat as long as your vehicle has headrests or high seatbacks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC