Sears says it's okay to use expired seats

Keeanh

Holy *&^$ :eek:

Sears & I had a few e-mails back & forth about non-compliant seats. The discussion went nowhere and I just let it go, since I know there are complaints in to Health Canada now.

Then today, I receive this. It has nothing to do with 2012. Someone seems to think I'm upset that I purchased a seat from them with an old DOM.

Their response is that it's okay for them to sell old stuff, and it's okay to use a seat past its expiry date.

---------

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Sears regarding this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused.

We have received the following response from our buying department, which we are forwarding onto you:

"It is not possible to determine the stamp on the seat without opening the box, but it is unlikely we will have a more current stamp on this item and if customer is very concerned she may need to choose another item.

Below is some additional information regarding the date stamp:
In order to be cost efficient Juvenile products are manufactured in large quantities and shipped overseas to the Canadian market. This means product will invariably be available in retailer/distributor inventory years after the production date.

The 'do not use after' date is stamped in the back of the seat to discourage resale of units, since in most cases by the time the resale occurs, the instruction manuals have been lost or destroyed, the seats may have been involved in a crash, or may be missing straps, buckles or other components. Any of these factors could make the seat unsafe.

1. There is no legislation related to the "do not use after" date.
2. Car seats can be used for many years after the date shown on the seat Although there is some speculation that seats can deteriorate over time due to UV rays, there is UV stabilizer in the plastic that would counter act the sun's effect in the car. But there could be no UV deterioration in a sealed box.
3. Transport Canada has done independent testing of seats over 10 years old, and they have performed well.
I am not aware currently of any provincial legislation prohibiting the use of a car seat after the date stamp.
As long as the car seat is not altered from it's original condition in anyway, the customer can continue to use this seat safely beyond the 6 years indicated on the stamp.

Ultimately, the decision regarding your child's safety is yours. However, we are confident that the products we sell meet all safety regulations."

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
:dizzy:

I would report them to Transport Canada for selling non-compliant seats, and include the letter they sent to you.

Keeanh

Are you going to forward this to TC/HC/whoever?

Yeah, I'll forward it to someone for sure. TBH, I'm waiting for Trudy to weigh in :eek:.

The thing is, THIS has nothing to do with law, so I don't know that any authority cares. Legally, they're worse off selling non-compliant seats, which is a Health Canada thing (and is already being dealt with by way of complaints, I believe).

Keeanh

Does Canada have have proper use laws? If so that would make them illegal to use after that "date". I'm still shocked they told you its ok!

Some provinces have "proper use" laws in their motor vehicle acts. That governs how consumers use the items in their vehicles while driving. It doesn't affect Sears selling them. The only problem might be this unnamed person saying they don't know of any provincial legislation prohibiting the use of expired seats. In the end, I think this really is just very very dangerous advice, rather than breaking laws.

Jessica61624

Keeanh said:
Some provinces have "proper use" laws in their motor vehicle acts. That governs how consumers use the items in their vehicles while driving. It doesn't affect Sears selling them. The only problem might be this unnamed person saying they don't know of any provincial legislation prohibiting the use of expired seats. In the end, I think this really is just very very dangerous advice, rather than breaking laws.

I agree. A lot of dangerous misinformation.

mam521

WOW is all I have to say to that...

I feel like saying in a sarcastic tone "um, ya...did ya get the memo or did ya miss it?" Sheesh!

KristineML

"It is not possible to determine the stamp on the seat without opening the box, but it is unlikely we will have a more current stamp on this item and if customer is very concerned she may need to choose another item.

Graco car seats and travel systems have the DOM on a label on top of the box. I discovered this at Sears about a year ago when they had some in boxes on the floor.

It is somewhat funny that a store that SELLS car seats is saying that it's ok to use expired ones. They should be telling you to come in and buy new ones.

Kat_Shoshin

Graco car seats and travel systems have the DOM on a label on top of the box. I discovered this at Sears about a year ago when they had some in boxes on the floor.

It is somewhat funny that a store that SELLS car seats is saying that it's ok to use expired ones. They should be telling you to come in and buy new ones.

You would think so - except in this case they are telling you that it's okay to buy their old ones for full price! :thumbsdown:

cmcki737

He was very careful with his words and "technically" did not say anything he could get in trouble for. What bothers me most is he is citing the same studies about using expired and older car seats that jerks on craigslist use to support selling 10 year old seats for $100 =(

sent from my SPH-M580 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC