Question Safety of seat belt vs. latch - no latches or tether in car I want to buy

J

joelzenny

Hello,

I am currently located in Mexico and want to buy a 2009 Ford Focus Sport edition. While checking the safety features of this car, I was surprised to see that it did not have latches or a place for a tether. What's strange is that this car comes equipped with air bags and an ABS system. I would like to purchase the car, but am concerned for the safety of my child using the seat belt only without latches and without a tether.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joel

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Joel,

If it's an American model it has lower anchors and tethers.

If it's an international model it may not. I would have no problem installing a seat in a car without lower anchors, but I wouldn't want to forward face in a car without top tethers. They're vitally important.

Wendy

NessieNess

Hi there,

You could try to contact Ford in Mexico to see if a tether anchor can be retrofitted to the car.

I would also try out the car seat in the car to make sure that you can get a proper install using the lap-shoulder belt. If yes, you don't need lower anchors, because you can just install using the seat belt. Depending on the weight of the child and the weight of the seat, lower anchors may not be much use to you anyway, since there's a weight limit to using them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do be aware that standards for vehicles are different in Mexico. I don't know what's involved in importing a US model but if it's in budget and possible you might want to read about the advantages and disadvantages. Here's one fairly recent article on the subject: http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...the-difference-between-cars-in-mexico-and-u-s

If you opt for a Mexican model, consider going for options that improve safety, such as airbags.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC