safest used car for 6?

lava

I was in a wreck last week and I think my minivan is totaled. Can't say for sure yet but pretty sure. Of course, I also need to replace my carseats.

But I don't know what vehicle I'll be putting them into. I'd love to go down to a sedan but don't know if there is one that seats 6? If not then I guess I'm in a minivan or SUV that seats 7-8.

My dd's airbag didn't deploy in the front. So I'm thinking of putting her back but not sure. Even though she's only 70 pounds, at 13 she probably won't get back in a booster seat :) Which is sort of irrelevant.

So assume I have 3 radians or nautilus' or whatever is similarly narrow and want to put them in the back seat or third row. And need to be able to 6 total.

What I want/need in a car (in on particular order):

Something other than a minivan would be nice but if I have to I'll get another minivan (also cars are usually cheaper).
(Is there anything that seats 6 in a car?)

Price, available used in the $3000-$6000 (SE US) range. I may not have that much to spend and can't really get a loan.

Safety. Reliability. Decent gas mileage. A reasonable amount of space.

Fold-flat third row?
Does anything besides a relatively new minivan (newer than I can afford) have a fold-flat second or third row?
I was thinking if I have to stay with a minivan, if I can find one with a fold-flat third row that the 3 carseats will fit across second row it would be nice; does that even exist?
If it doesn't, something with a split fold-flat third row would be nice maybe?

Am I looking for an impossible car?
Thanks!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Three Nautiluses will be very hard to fit three-across. Three Radians are doable in most vehicles, especially if at least one is rear-facing. That means you'll have three people up front in a car, though, and that's not so great. I think you're better off looking at vans.

jjordan

I think you're probably looking at a minivan. Crossovers and SUV's are usually more expensive, and sedans typically hold only 5 people. A Mazda 5 might be an option, although I don't know what years would be in your price range or what their safety ratings look like.

In your price range you might be able to get a Kia Sedona (2006 or more recent), which was an IIHS top safety pick for, I think, 2006-2010.

Mags462

In your price range you might be able to get a Kia Sedona (2006 or more recent), which was an IIHS top safety pick for, I think, 2006-2010.

That's what i was thinking..... the sedans i know that seat 3 across in the front (eg have a bench) are mercury's with huge v8 engines that "elderly" people drive ;) Which GUZZLE the gas.... i would definitely look at a 2006 or newer Kia.

Glad everyone is OK after the crash!

Phineasmama

I'd look for a Mazda 5 on Craigslist or cars.com, maybe a little bit older model year would be In your budget. I don't recall them being very expensive and I was looking for newer/low mileage.

lava

So, a Kia 2006 or later? Curious, what changes were made that make 2006 the "break point"? I looked on the local listings and in used there's a big jump in availability (from like 7 2005s to 2 2006s) and price (from $4500 or so for a 2005 to $8000+ for a 2006).
Thanks!

agave

Hundai took over 2006+ improved safety and reliability. I have a been driving a 2006 for a year. My only reliability issue is with the headlights burning out.

Oh and it has 4 top teathers :)

scariestone

You could look for a ford freestyle. They have good safety ratings and seat either or 7 depending on the configuration of the seats. I don't normally recommend them because the factory that makes the transmissions is now closed so if your transmission goes out you have to find a used one. I'm almost certain you would be able to find one in your price range though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC