Safer options than Scenera?

ajay

I will be starting a new job, and the kids will be riding with my husband frequently. He drives a '00 Malibu, and my son, 12 months, 28 lbs, is currently riding in a Scenera in Dh's car. Is there a safer, offering more head protection option? Or maybe I'm wrongly assuming that higher prices equal more safety options?

He rides in a Marathon in my car, and is pretty happy. I don't want to spend extra $$ for another Marathon for Dh's car, but gladly will if that's the only option.

Opinions, ideas, suggestions? Thanks so much! :)

ADS

lovinwaves

No one seat is "safer" than the other. As long as they all meet the FMVSS codes put forth by the Government, your son is safe :thumbsup: A $300 carseat that isn't installed properly isn't going to do you much good as that $30 seat properly installed.

Keeping your son rear-facing until 35lbs in his Scenera makes him uber safe. Also, installing him in the middle back seat will also help in terms of safety. Your Dh's driving ability and others around him, are also a component for keeping your son "safer".

Now the only thing that comes to mind with the Scenera is that it doesn't have EPS Foam. To me that's a huge benefit in the event of a side impact crash (most fatal type of auto accident)

The next seat, as far as price, would be the Safety 1st Uptown. That is going to give him a plusher cover, EPS Foam, and higher top harness slots.

ajay

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like I don't trust my Dh's driving- I do!! :) I just, for some reason, feel like his car doesn't offer much in the way of safety, and I'd like to protect my baby as much as possible of course!

What about the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? I think I've seen people here that have that seat. Does it have EPS?

lovinwaves

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like I don't trust my Dh's driving- I do!! :)

You don't sound like that at all. ;)

I just, for some reason, feel like his car doesn't offer much in the way of safety, and I'd like to protect my baby as much as possible of course!

What about the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? I think I've seen people here that have that seat. Does it have EPS?

What vehicle does your husband drive? There is so much more to keeping our children safe in vehicles than just a child restraint.

Yes, that seat does have EPS Foam. I got mine clearanced out for $99. Their original retail price was $189, but now you can find them easily for $130, iirc.

ajay

He drives a '00 Chevy Malibu- base model. Hate it, but can't do anything about it right now unfortunately.

Thanks for your help!

laurenrachey

Why am I not seeing this on the Fisher Price website? Does anyone have a link to an online manual? I've heard of it a million times, but never even looked at it

PS Is it discontinued??

laurenrachey

Yes, it has been discontinued.

Well that stinks! How long ago was it discontinued? In other words, what is the most recent DOM that can be expected? Any word on whether it will be replaced? Last question :love: Can you get it in any stores, or is it likely to only be found online?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I *think* it can only be found online, but don't quote me on that.

The seat has been "discontinued" for around 6 months now... maybe more. The last DOM I heard of was late summer/early fall of 2006, but that doesn't mean there haven't been newer ones found since.

It's made by Britax with the Fisher Price name on it... basically if you can fit a Marathon in your car, you've just "tested" the Fisher Price. ;)

Edited to add: I think it was discontinued due to lack of sales... bad marketing is my guess, since it really is a *great* seat for the price. It's one that was constantly recommended when people didn't have the budget for a Britax. I haven't heard of any replacements, but maybe with boards like this recommending it, they will reconsider and keep it around.

Edit #2: Most kids make it to around age 5 in these seats (Marathon and Fisher Price) when they outgrow it by height... typically between 40 - 55lbs (depending if you have a lightweight or heavyweight on your hands ;)).

laurenrachey

hahaha she did say they had 5 left in stock, and I have literally NEVER seen another toddler here RF, it isn't exactly a big car safety area. :( 06 is fine with me though, I was more thinking of getting it as an interim seat until Recaro gets their crap straightened out with this RF tether issue, then moving it to a backup seat. The more I read about Dorel, the more uneasy I become about our current seat. Just a personal feeling :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC