Question RideSafer Travel Vest 3 for kids in the 30-40 lb range

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I am a mom to three kids and we are flying cross-country soon and will be doing a good bit of driving at our destination. At home, S, 8 months, is RF in a Britax Roundabout. I will travel with a snugride for her on the plane and for use in cars.

A, my eldest, is almost 5 but only about 33 lbs. She is average height (I should maybe measure her), just a stringbean. At home she is FF in a Diono Radian.

I is my middle guy. He is also about 33 lbs at 3 yrs old. He is in the 90th percentile for height. At home he is FF in a Roundabout.

I see that the RSTV3 is referred to as a "wearable booster" or a "booster alternative," but my understanding is that booster eligibility begins at 4 yrs and 40 lbs. But, the RSTV3 Small is supposedly good for 30lbs/3yrs and up.

Is it only as safe as a booster or is it as safe as a carseat for those 30-40lb kids? I would really hate to lug 3 seats if I do not have to.

(i know I can't use RSTV3 on the plane).

Would you feel ok putting I and A in the RSTV3, given that they are under 40lbs? Or is it a waste of $300?

Thank you!!!

Amanda

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I might be OK with putting a 3yo in a RTSV if I was sitting right next to them, but not otherwise. Crash wise, it is safe, but 3yos are impulsive little people who like to press seatbelt buttons and squirm around. A RTSV has the same freedom of movement factor as a booster.

U

Unregistered

I started using the rstv since my child was 3. Also 80-90%. Worked great.
You might want to consider the 2 version with the tether. I needed that since the main purpose of my rstv is in a lap belt only position.
I found the seat to be as restrictive as a harness seat. Especially with the tether. The main difference between a harness seat I've found is it is harder to put on. like when the child might be asleep. Though head slump wasn't that bad.

brooklynmom9420

Thank you! I am the Original Poster of this thread.

Based on more browsing here and these responses, I got the Ride Safer Travel Vest 2, one in pink and one in yellow, size small. Safe Rides 4 Kids has them for $159 but agreed to match the diapers.com price of $135 even though SR4K supposedly had a more updated version than Diapers.com, which was out of stock in pink. Forgive me for conforming to gender stereotypes but my girl really wanted pink! The RSTV2 has an optional top tether that works just like the top tether of a convertible seat, essentially holding the child's shoulders against the backrest of the vehicle seat. There is also an optional crotch strap to prevent the child from slithering down and escaping. It should keep even a wriggly or sleeping 3 year old in place. Fingers crossed this works for us!

gigi

Gigi did you have the RSTV2 (with tether and crotch strap)?

Yes. I found my son couldn't get comfortable on the vehicle seat and would slouch and sag thus not being in correct position. He was 3 when we used it. I used it for very short , necessary cab rides when I sat next to him. I wouldn't personally have used it for long rides or more frequently than necessary, although many members like theirs a lot.

In your case I would bring the RSTV for your 5 year old, she is old enough to understand sitting properly, and a Maestro for the 3 year old.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are many boosters on the market which say they are for kids age 3 and up. That doesn't make it a good idea.

The representative for either the manufacturer of the RSTV or the main retailer (SafeRide4Kids)... I forget which... has stated that a child should be of "booster ready" maturity in order to safely use a RSTV.

I might use the tetherable one for a 3 year old in a pinch if I were riding next to them, such as in a taxi situation. But in your situation, for doing a lot of driving in a rental, I would go ahead and drag one car seat along and just get the RSTV for the older child.

I think I'd take the Radian on the plane along with the Snugride. And the RSTV for the oldest.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It does not keep wiggly kids in place. Or at least it didn't for us. I really hope it does for you!

It made the seatbelt button way to accessible for my compulsive button pusher. She also managed to unhook the crotch strap herself and slither out the bottom twice. I don't know if they've changed the crotch strap (I was a product tester for it about a month before it was on the market -so all this luckily happened in a parked car) but it used to just fasten with velcro.

gigi

There are many boosters on the market which say they are for kids age 3 and up. That doesn't make it a good idea.

The representative for either the manufacturer of the RSTV or the main retailer (SafeRide4Kids)... I forget which... has stated that a child should be of "booster ready" maturity in order to safely use a RSTV.

I might use the tetherable one for a 3 year old in a pinch if I were riding next to them, such as in a taxi situation. But in your situation, for doing a lot of driving in a rental, I would go ahead and drag one car seat along and just get the RSTV for the older child.

I think I'd take the Radian on the plane along with the Snugride. And the RSTV for the oldest.

I wish this were all over this board, so many members refer to it as, and recommend it as, a five point replacement but I truly feel it should not be used unless the kid is booster ready. My 3 year old daughter would be ALLLLL over the place in it if I let her use it, my son was a rule follower so he would have been fine if he could have got his small body comfortable.

arly1983

I purchased a large rstv for a non-booster ready large six year old (moderate mental delay special needs). I returned it very quickly. It was not nearly restrictive enough. I have a very wiggly neuro typical five year old (nowhere near booster ready) that I wouldn't use one with now. Depends on the child entirely.

lpperry

I have a RSTV that Oliver has used since 4 1/2 and about 40 pounds. I had reservations about it and I pm'd some of the techs on the board that I knew had experience with the RSTV. The consensus I got was that (in our situation), the RSTV is fine as long as the child can sit properly. It performs in crash tests like a 5 point harness, but the child does need to be sitting correctly.

The car that Oliver carpools in does not have tether anchors, so once he switched to ff, I was not ok with him being in a harnessed seat. At 4 1/2, I was also not ok with him being in a booster. I feel good about the RSTV.

Oliver does not like the RSTV, but he sits in it a few times a week for carpool. I think it is not very comfortable--snug vest, sitting down low in the seat and not being able to see well.

If you are going to be doing a lot of driving at your destination, but using pretty much the same vehicle your whole trip, I'd just take the trouble to bring your current carseats on the plane and use them at your destination. So much more comfortable if you are driving around a lot. If you are going to be in multiple cars and don't want to have to keep messing with seats, then I think the RSTV would be a good choice for the 5 year old.

I, personally, would not use it with a 3 year old, but that is only because I don't let my kids ff until they turn 4.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It performs in crash tests like a 5 point harness, but the child does need to be sitting correctly.

:yeahthatlove:

The top tether can assist with the "sitting correctly" part, so that's why I'd be OK with using one for a 3 year old in a taxi situation where I was sitting next to the child even though I wouldn't be OK with using a traditional booster. I plan to get one for my daughter after she turns 4, but I wouldn't let her use it without an adult sitting next to her until she's older. She's too impulsive and just not obedient enough to be trusted with it any time soon. Fortunately, my other kids are adults so situations where I'll need to use it are ones in which she'll have direct supervision.

I understand about rear-facing until after age 4 but my child didn't quite make it to 4 before outgrowing the RF limits of her Radian so... :cool:

kookaburra

We used the RSTV2 with our 5-year-old earlier this year, and she had a hard time staying in position without the tether. (I initially couldn't figure out the tether locations in our rental car.) I hadn't thought of her as being particularly wiggly, but it was really hard for her not to lean, mainly from side to side, but sometimes forward. With the tether, she did great. I think she was fascinated with the novelty of the RSTV and the rental car because she had no complaints about not being able to see our about the vest being too hot. I came home feeling like she's not booster ready now, but she did fine with the tether. She, however, has never tried to undo buckles.

Athena

:yeahthatlove:

The top tether can assist with the "sitting correctly" part, so that's why I'd be OK with using one for a 3 year old in a taxi situation where I was sitting next to the child even though I wouldn't be OK with using a traditional booster. I plan to get one for my daughter after she turns 4, but I wouldn't let her use it without an adult sitting next to her until she's older. She's too impulsive and just not obedient enough to be trusted with it any time soon. Fortunately, my other kids are adults so situations where I'll need to use it are ones in which she'll have direct supervision.

I understand about rear-facing until after age 4 but my child didn't quite make it to 4 before outgrowing the RF limits of her Radian so... :cool:

They told me our version 2 was okay to use it with both shoulder belt and tether, as it sounds like others are doing too. I felt like it restrained well with tether, but didn't try it younger than 4. Also, although I thought it looked uncomfortable, my DD loves it and has asked to use it at home.

As far as RFing, I have very (very!) tall kids too, so I'm also aware that making it to 4 is a luxury not all of us have. ;)

brooklynmom9420

Ok so we tried it out on a local trip and they are great. My only question is whether it is ok that their chins go to their chests when they sleep. The shoulders are tethered so their bodies are not drooping.

image-2748660654.jpg

image-298078836.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC