RF with legroom for 18m+ - radian or something else?

YinzerMama

My baby is 18m and outgrowing his SR35. *sniff* I just installed one of my girls' MA65s rf for him and am amazed at how little leg room he has. I know the britax seats are lacking in this department, but I put my girls in the MAs at 9 months so I didn't have that shocking switch between bucket and MA with them if that makes sense (they only had SR22s) The girls used the MAs till 2 1/2 so I know this CAN work but he doesn't seem to like the change and I am kicking around the idea of something new. Not SET on it, but considering.

It does not have to be super long lasting FF as the girls have frontiers he can move into in a few years and I can move the girls to dedicated boosters. (Girls are 4 1/2)

If Graco didn't have those new buckles I would consider a MyRide but right now the buckle option doesn't make me very thrilled. And I know evenflo is using those buckles now, too. Boo!

The seat will go in the middle of the center row of a 2012 odyssey.

I'm kind of looking at the radians but there are 3 varieties now - can someone give me the quick and dirty? It looks like the 100 doesn't come with the infant insert padding (which I won't need) - the 120 has the padding - the rxt has headwings, more side stuff? Looks like they try to make the 100 unappealing but not offering many colors. Any user-end reasons to pick the 120 or rxt over it?

What else should I consider with leg room rear facing as a priority? I know the truefit is supposed to be good but it just doesn't wow me aesthetically. I haven't ruled it out but I am not super drawn to it.

ADS
I would basically look past the fact that the Radian can become a booster, because it is outgrown so quickly (usually very close, time-wise, to when the harness is outgrown depending on the model chosen) that you will end up needing another booster, regardless, at some point. (Just a side note, the RXT has movable head wings, which tend to become a problem when you use the seat as a booster because the child's shoulders are restricted by their height, but as I said above I wouldn't allow that to make or break my decision.)

The R100 only has a 40-lb RF weight capacity, whereas the R120 and RXT have a 45-lb RF weight capacity. That's a fair bit in terms of RF seat longevity, if your child decides to pack on the pounds by surprise.

You've mentioned the new buckle style used by Graco and Evenflo. Sadly, many find it difficult, but if you give yourself time to become
accustomed to it, you are likely to forget that it is different at all.

If you have time to wait and a spare mortgage payment burning a hole in your pocket, the Clek Foonf will be out hopefully (knock on wood) in the upcoming few months. It will RF to 50 lbs, (recently updated from 45 lbs by Clek, correct?) has some nice new safety features to check out, a rebound energy control bar and has the lovely new ridged LATCH connecters for FF. Price tag? In the neighborhood of $449.99. You would likely make it to 5 years RF in that seat.

The Evenflo Triumph and Momentum are wonderful if you're willing to give that buckle a try. Many people have said that they found it difficult for the first few days, but then became used to it and no longer mind it :)

And HIGH-FIVE on keeping him rear-facing! :)

ETA: Are there any other car seats on either side of his seat?

The TrueFit is a great seat, I have one ;) Yes, it's not the most visually appealing seat, but boy is it great for space inside the seat. Something to keep in mind, it only RF to 35 lbs.

How heavy is your little dude?

jjordan

Not sure how it is for leg room, but the Peg Perego convertible is a nice seat. If you have somewhere nearby that has one, you can give it a test run and see what you think.

gigi

I agree on the Peg...it doesn't have rebound control but otherwise it is awesome. Has almost the same height as a Radian. I am hoping they release one with an ARB before my lil one outgrows her CCO.

My baby is 17 months and has 5" at least above her head in the new Britax. Yours sounds smallish too so you might try one of those too. Legroom not great but my older never complained and RFd till 3 in the older version with less legroom. If you aren't planning to RF till 4, these seats will probably work out great.

Can't best the finishes and buckles on either of these seats.

I have a Nautilus with new buckle...I HATE IT and wouldn't consider another seat with that buckle. And mine works properly, it just sucks and is hard to do/undo compared to britax, peg, Radian, or old style Evenflo that I loved.

MommyShannon

My 2.5 year old has lots of legroom in her Truefit Premier but tends to kink her neck while sleeping since its so wide. She is in a Britax RA 55 often too and never complains about the legroom though its noticeably smaller to me. I bought the TF to give her more room and I was pg, but she is just as happy in the Britax. Obviously the TF is taller too, but she has plenty of room in the Britax too.

biddyk8

I agree on the Peg...it doesn't have rebound control but otherwise it is awesome. Has almost the same height as a Radian. I am hoping they release one with an ARB before my lil one outgrows her CCO.

The peg convertible which they just released in Canada has the ARB and they are getting alot of requests on their facebook to release the US one with ARB so you will hopefully get your wish,

atw

Pria has great rf leg room and so does EFTA. But, you can't beat radian!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

YinzerMama

Sorry for the delay, our internet went out yesterday because Verizon suddenly decided after 4 years not to support non-verizon routers.

Little dude is little. Actually he is 19m now... 23 pounds. I forget how tall but he JUST still fits in his SR35 which is why I am moving him. Def. got my money's worth out of it. He was 20th percent for weight at his last check up which is the fattest he has ever been. Seems to be taking after DD2 who is only 34 pounds at 4 1/2.

A friend might have an older My Ride to lend me -which would work.

I went to look at car seats yesterday at Burlington (not the best selection but I was pressed for time) and I hate how cheap the my rides look now compered to the old. Didn't they used to have kind of plushy fabric?? They just seem to bare bones now. They had a Momentum to look at and I actually really liked it but none for sale - lots of leg room. This is a well liked seat?

Another friend is offering a tribute.

This isn't a matter of cost but I have put of feelers for a friend with an older but unexpired My Ride. We can def. afford to buy new I am just looking at options. I feel like I missed the sweet spot with the "cheaper" seats having great features.

As for set up of the car - I have a son who ride with no car seat behind the driver - baby in middle of center row - 2 girls in FR85s in back row.

Will look into peg.

cwesis

I know you're not thrilled with the idea of the MyRide, but I have one in my 2012 Odyssey, and it's fabulous. My 39# 42.5" 4.5 yo (who is not still RF :( ) can sit in it comfortably RFing (she thinks it's hilarious to sit in her little sissy's seat), and my humongous 2yo (30 lb, 37"+) is happy as a clam in it.

Adele

A friend might have an older My Ride to lend me -which would work.

They had a Momentum to look at and I actually really liked it but none for sale - lots of leg room. This is a well liked seat?

Another friend is offering a tribute.

This isn't a matter of cost but I have put of feelers for a friend with an older but unexpired My Ride. We can def. afford to buy new I am just looking at options. I feel like I missed the sweet spot with the "cheaper" seats having great features.

As for set up of the car - I have a son who ride with no car seat behind the driver - baby in middle of center row - 2 girls in FR85s in back row.

I know what you mean by the "missing the boat" on the cheaper seats with nicer features. It seems like padding is getting slimmer, but thats that, sadly :( So many nice seats have come out in the last 2 years, though, so i'm sure you'll find one!

It's a daunting task to find a seat which is a good fit for each aspect of an individuals' situation, but you are certainly on the right track with your questions!

Have you been informed of the possible dangers of using previously-owned seats? I ask because you've mentioned the possibility of using a friends seat, and you seem very informed, but a surprising amount of people are still unaware of these next few important points. Even if you are aware, it's great info to pass along to other parents and caregivers!

In a nutshell, previously-owned or used car seats pose a high level of potential risk because you are trusting whomever owned the seat before that they have not mistreated it in such a way that its life-saving abilities could be compromised (whether they knew they were mistreating it, or remember mistreating it is another story entirely).

Common misuses that aren't generally thought of as misuses could include:

(*) Washing, submerging (in any liquid), or using chemicals on the harness straps, LATCH straps, or any piece of the webbing material (usually done in an effort to clean them)
(*) Dropping the seat from a height of above around 3 feet (which could very easily happen)
(*)Improper storage of the seat, allowing the cover or webbing material to gather mould, which poses a health concern. (Black harness straps and dark covers make this incredibly hard to see)
(*) Checking the seat as baggage on an aircraft. (YouTube luggage mistreatment, it's scary. They quite literally toss them onto the runway from the conveyor. :eek: )

One final, but vitally important question you need to be sure on the answer to:

****(*) Has the seat been involved in any type of accident?
The seats you mentioned above have a "replace after any collision" statement in their manuals, so even a fender-bender or parking lot accident counts!

With the arrangement in your van, and the age of your child, I would buy a brand-new seat for sure. It will more than serve you well into the future to have a convertible with a new date of manufacture. At almost 2, and with those growth patterns, he'll more than likely fit in most convertibles until 6, which is worth getting a new convertible that you love, and chose yourself, rather than a friends seat. Obtaining used seats is never recommended, for the reasons listed above, because you are effectively trusting the person who gives you the seat with your little ones life. Mistreated seats are exponentially more likely to fail in an accident, which is why we don't recommend anything that you don't know the complete and total "history" of. All of this may sound like overkill, I know, but there really is so much risk involved when you use a previously-owned seat. If you are comfortable with the person who is allowing you to use it that they have not mistreated it in any fashion, then it's fine to use it, if you are ok with the seat and the situation.

As for the Momentum65 / DLX, it is a reasonably well-liked seat, and has a great price tag. I have heard some complain that the padding isn't as great as other seats, but I cannot speak from experience on that aspect as I haven't examined one myself. It rear-faces to 40 pounds and has lovely LATCH connectors (either SureLATCH or premium push-button connectors, either are great) and has an extremely easy to adjust harness. Keep in mind, though, it's w.i.d.e., very wide.

I would really take a good look at the Peg Perego Primo Viaggo Convertible, though. They are great from what i've heard, and will last you a long time.

Do you have a Babies R Us near you? They will allow you to try out the floor models in your vehicle to see how they fit. Car seats are like a nice dress, they fit all vehicle seats differently, and some won't fit at all in certain vehicles. I would install a few seats, and sit next to each of them, to see if you think the child sitting adjacent to the seat would be comfortable.

Not all seats are going to be a breeze to install the first, or even third time. But try to cut out an hour and read over your manual, and install it few times yourself, to become comfortable with the seat. You'll be a lot happier once you're confident in your knowledge of the seat.

I would take a look around Amazon once you find a model you like. They have a great return policy, and reasonable prices.

I'm done talking your ear off now ;)

YinzerMama

The lady who would be giving me the seat is very much trusted to have taken care of it. I wouldn't view it as any different than one of my own seats. :)

I wouldn't be opposed to buying the myride except for that stupid buckle. I hate the new graco buckle. I hate it for myself and I would hate it for when he becomes an independent buckler.

He will be able to move into one of our frontiers in a few years so it really isn't important that he can fit in this seat until he is 6. The frontiers will be good until 2020 I believe... so if there is some great but compact rf option, I am not going to rule it out based on not being long lasting ff.

YinzerMama

I have to admit I am curious at what comes across as the assumption that I am ignorant with regards to car seats and car seat safety. I'm simply looking for any new, leggier suggestions for RF.

I know that the party line is not to use a used seat, but even on this board, members buy and sell gently used car seats. There are many reasons to do so. In this case, I think Graco's new buckle is abominable. You may not mind it, but there are many who agree with me on this point. I do not need a seat that will last me 5-6 years since, as I said, my girls have Frontiers I will be able to hand down. I don't want to rule something out that is priced great or has great features or so on just because it won't last until he is 6. That is not needed in this case.

Everything you said is true - but it's quite a leap and quite a lot to assume that I don't know it simply because I am considering using a car seat from a friend. All I'm asking is what new leggy options are out there that I might not be aware of. For which some good suggestions have been given. Thank you. :)

I know what you mean by the "missing the boat" on the cheaper seats with nicer features. It seems like padding is getting slimmer, but thats that, sadly :( So many nice seats have come out in the last 2 years, though, so i'm sure you'll find one!

It's a daunting task to find a seat which is a good fit for each aspect of an individuals' situation, but you are certainly on the right track with your questions!

Have you been informed of the possible dangers of using previously-owned seats? I ask because you've mentioned the possibility of using a friends seat, and you seem very informed, but a surprising amount of people are still unaware of these next few important points. Even if you are aware, it's great info to pass along to other parents and caregivers!

In a nutshell, previously-owned or used car seats pose a high level of potential risk because you are trusting whomever owned the seat before that they have not mistreated it in such a way that its life-saving abilities could be compromised (whether they knew they were mistreating it, or remember mistreating it is another story entirely).

Common misuses that aren't generally thought of as misuses could include:

(*) Washing, submerging (in any liquid), or using chemicals on the harness straps, LATCH straps, or any piece of the webbing material (usually done in an effort to clean them)
(*) Dropping the seat from a height of above around 3 feet (which could very easily happen)
(*)Improper storage of the seat, allowing the cover or webbing material to gather mould, which poses a health concern. (Black harness straps and dark covers make this incredibly hard to see)
(*) Checking the seat as baggage on an aircraft. (YouTube luggage mistreatment, it's scary. They quite literally toss them onto the runway from the conveyor. :eek: )

One final, but vitally important question you need to be sure on the answer to:

****(*) Has the seat been involved in any type of accident?
The seats you mentioned above have a "replace after any collision" statement in their manuals, so even a fender-bender or parking lot accident counts!

With the arrangement in your van, and the age of your child, I would buy a brand-new seat for sure. It will more than serve you well into the future to have a convertible with a new date of manufacture. At almost 2, and with those growth patterns, he'll more than likely fit in most convertibles until 6, which is worth getting a new convertible that you love, and chose yourself, rather than a friends seat. Obtaining used seats is never recommended, for the reasons listed above, because you are effectively trusting the person who gives you the seat with your little ones life. Mistreated seats are exponentially more likely to fail in an accident, which is why we don't recommend anything that you don't know the complete and total "history" of. All of this may sound like overkill, I know, but there really is so much risk involved when you use a previously-owned seat. If you are comfortable with the person who is allowing you to use it that they have not mistreated it in any fashion, then it's fine to use it, if you are ok with the seat and the situation.

As for the Momentum65 / DLX, it is a reasonably well-liked seat, and has a great price tag. I have heard some complain that the padding isn't as great as other seats, but I cannot speak from experience on that aspect as I haven't examined one myself. It rear-faces to 40 pounds and has lovely LATCH connectors (either SureLATCH or premium push-button connectors, either are great) and has an extremely easy to adjust harness. Keep in mind, though, it's w.i.d.e., very wide.

I would really take a good look at the Peg Perego Primo Viaggo Convertible, though. They are great from what i've heard, and will last you a long time.

Do you have a Babies R Us near you? They will allow you to try out the floor models in your vehicle to see how they fit. Car seats are like a nice dress, they fit all vehicle seats differently, and some won't fit at all in certain vehicles. I would install a few seats, and sit next to each of them, to see if you think the child sitting adjacent to the seat would be comfortable.

Not all seats are going to be a breeze to install the first, or even third time. But try to cut out an hour and read over your manual, and install it few times yourself, to become comfortable with the seat. You'll be a lot happier once you're confident in your knowledge of the seat.

I would take a look around Amazon once you find a model you like. They have a great return policy, and reasonable prices.

I'm done talking your ear off now ;)

Last edited:
YinzerMama said:
I have to admit I am curious at what comes across as the assumption that I am ignorant with regards to car seats and car seat safety. I'm simply looking for any new, leggier suggestions for RF.

I know that the party line is not to use a used seat, but even on this board, members buy and sell gently used car seats. There are many reasons to do so. In this case, I think Graco's new buckle is abominable. You may not mind it, but there are many who agree with me on this point.

Everything you said is true - but it's quite a leap and quite a lot to assume that I don't know it simply because I am considering using a car seat from a friend.

I, nor does anyone else, have any way of knowing that you know the reasoning behind not using certain previously-owned car seats. It is better, in my opinion, to make sure all bases are covered and state the seemingly obvious anyways. There are MANY more people who read these forms then just you and I. If someone, unregistered and completely new to CPS, came and read a thread, which MANY do, from "experts" responding to your statement about possibly using a friends seat as: "oh that's a wonderful idea" right off the bat, meanwhile completely assuming you know the tedious nature of the issue, then those uneducated people will walk away thinking "oh great, i'll get a seat from my friend", a friend who also likely knows little about proper care for car seats, as CPST/CPSA's are rather uncommon, and a friend that may have a seriously mistreated seat. What a mess that would make. So no, nothing lead me to think you were "ignorant towards car seat safety", I am simply answering the WHOLE question, in full, so when others read it, there are no grey areas. It's not a shot at your knowledge, it's answering each facet of a question or addressing each facet of a statement, so there is no confusion. If you look at my response, I even went so far as to state that you may, or likely do already know that information.

As per that second part, and making reference to my points of proper research of the history of used seats in my previous post, this is a board of Child Passenger Safety Technicians and Child Passenger Safety Advocates, there is a certain common level of knowledge among members pertaining to how we treat our seats. Usually once Swap access is gained, they've been around for a while. As I said in my response to you previously, if the seat passes that check list, then, also as I stated, go ahead and use it without thinking twice.

No intentions of offending anyone, just trying to be through :)

Last edited:

canadiangie

I didn't read all of the replies, but I've followed along on your quest to love your Ody (or rather not hate your Ody:p) and I see you mentioned that baby will be 2nd row middle, and then I just read in Car Safety that you need to leave one of your 2nd row outboard seats folded down for easiest access to the 3rd row. Anyway, I know the 2nd row of new gen Ody's is generous -- middle seat is a 'real' seat -- but would it be best for you to have a narrow-ish seat in the middle so that your outboard seat can easily be folded down? I know in my Pilot I can get a SR35/Frontier/PWSGL across my 2nd row, but if I want to tumble my 2nd row outboard seat forward I prefer to have a Radian in the middle. It's just that much easier. I've worked in enough new gen Ody's that I should know the answer, but my mind is blanking (I put two AOE's sbs, but can't recall what kind of space was left in that remaining outboard seat).

I'll stop rambling. :)

YinzerMama

I hated the odyssey... and then the goofiest thing ever, last week I put a deposit on a 2010 8 seater Sienna but I measured... compared... moved car seats... hopped in and out... Actually stood outside in 40 degree weather with a tape measure with my kids screaming they were cold and sales people looking at me like I was from Mars... and ultimately concluded that while the trunk is smaller... and the 8th seat is not as great... the 3rd row of the ody is more comfy and has more leg room. Which will be good when the kids are older even if the Ody isn't so great for us now. Although the 3 sets of tethers in the back row IS nice. And I have become kind of attached to my back up camera. And I have to admit it drives better than my Sienna. So I kind of think we are sticking with it. Maybe. Heh.

But I did make the horrible discovery recently that while that center seat is nicely sized - anything too wide will prevent the outboard seats from sliding forward.

Right now we are ripping the back apart to install speakers so I have 2 marathons and my SR35 in the middle row and I have found if the center MA isn't centered JUST so, you can't slide the outboard seat forward. So unless I leave an outboard seat out, I think that rules out the MyRide, since I want the baby in the middle and I want the option of the final seat in place.

So. Leaning Radian right now. Waiting to see if and when little dude decides he feels squashed in the MA. Guess we will just hold tight for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC