RF Radian '06 RAV4

Northriver

I'm sort of embarassed to admit that I've never ever installed a Radian RF.

My friend is thinking about buying one, so I'm playing around with mine today and we'll try it in her car on Friday.

I drive an '06 RAV4 and the Radian seems really way too loose, about 1/4 to 1/2 movement at the belt path.

Does anyone have any suggestions? With my Britax seats RF, I get the best install with the vehicle seat in the most upright position. I tried reclining the seat, tightening, then moving it to the most upright position but that didn't help.

It seems like the LATCH anchors are hitting the RF base thing and I just can't get it to tighten up.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them.

I've never been unhappy with the install of ANY car seat in this vehicle, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Pixels

Are you saying there's 1/4 to 1/2 inch of movement at the belt path? If so, that's fine. The goal is less than one inch of movement at the belt path.

Northriver

Well, yes, I suppose but it seems so loose!

I did tighten it up just a bit, i'd say 1/4" of movement now. The RF base presses into the ridgid plastic parts of my vehicle seat so you can't really squish the seat in there any tighter.

In any case, the reason I never tried to RF the Radian is confirmed, I can barely even get into the drivers seat with a RF Radian behind it, let alone actually manage to drive, lol. So 40# or no 40#, I won't be able to go back to RF my 35# child, at least not with that seat in my vehicle.

I suppose I should give the center seat belt install a shot now too, at least so I can say I tried.

MomE

Well, yes, I suppose but it seems so loose!

I did tighten it up just a bit, i'd say 1/4" of movement now. The RF base presses into the ridgid plastic parts of my vehicle seat so you can't really squish the seat in there any tighter.

In any case, the reason I never tried to RF the Radian is confirmed, I can barely even get into the drivers seat with a RF Radian behind it, let alone actually manage to drive, lol. So 40# or no 40#, I won't be able to go back to RF my 35# child, at least not with that seat in my vehicle.

I suppose I should give the center seat belt install a shot now too, at least so I can say I tried.

I have an '06 RAV4, and I don't think the center install will help you. In order to install in the center the seat has to be quite offset toward the driver side. You have to center it between the belt buckle and where the belt enters the seat on the other side. Otherwise a center install is impossible. Also the buckle is very, very, very long in the center. So I'm not sure you'll get a Radian in there with it out of or through the belt path properly. I've twisted it three times and it just barely doesn't hit the lockoff on a Boulevard. So with the lower profile of the Radian.... Anyway, I think the offset is going to be the deal breaker for you as the seat will still be behind the driver seat enough to interfere....

If you do try and figure out a way to do it, I'd love to hear it! I really considered a Radian so I'd love to know if it will fit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, LATCH is probably the only way you're going to get a Radian in that car at all. If there's less than 1" of movement, call it good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC